• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Someone gave me a freebie - Polk Surroundbar

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
So, my landlord kinda knows that im into speakers, and that he was able to buy a new system, replacing his Polk Surroundbar...

He knows im already loaded with stuff (remember those scotts?), and thought he can just give away his polk bar to me.

First off, tried seeing how it performs, and since its a surroundbar, the 'bar' wasnt set too high (no pun intended).

Im thinking im going to use it as a surround, or probably just keep the damn thing for my bedroom setup if me and the GF move out.

Its heavy as hell, so using em as surrounds may be an option id reconsider.

Ive also opted to dissect the damn thing, and see how they imply their surround effects. maybe they switch out the polarity? crossover mods?

Thoughts.

Hey Jomari!

I don't know much about soundbars...your landlord on the other hand is quite different!

If I had to guess how those things worked though I'd say there is probably some delay and direction targeting for certain bands of frequencies.

I have been around a few soundbars. My thoughts are these:
  • 1. They're better than TV speakers.
    2. They require a somewhat "regular" room (ie, 4 walls w/o large openings, etc) to work correctly in.
    3. There is no substitute for real surround sound. (

Since you got this one free, play with it and see what you think. (I think it will probably work fairly well in the bedroom).

John

i was just thinking of keeping it and just use it in the bedroom when i get the chance to move on out.

the only challenge i see is that it doesnt decode anything just a plain ol speaker. so id need a new receiver. :D

Thanks for the input guys.

Back