• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony BDP-S770

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Well, after various threads on BD players, and doing a little poking around, I've kinda got my sights set on a BDP-S770. At 2/5 the cost of an Oppo, I can much more easily justify the purchase, and I doubt there would be much of a difference in PQ (e.g. for DVD upscaling) on my little 46" tv. I don't need analog outs. I'm more interested in it as a netflix/hulu/sacd device, that is less noisy than my old PS3, and that can be controlled by my ir remote.

This thing does have a regular IR remote, right? I can't actually tell from Sony's web page...

Anyone have any experience with this player? Since one of my objectives is a quiet unit, anyone know about any issues with fan noise?

If anyone spots a black friday deal on this, please let me know! Right now it seems to go for $199 from a variety of places (Crutchfield and others).

Pauly, I have the S370 and love it. If you don't need 3D or wi-fi, from what you said, I'm not sure that the 370 won't suffice. It is available at Best Buy for $99.

FWIW, every Sony BD player I've been around uses an IR remote and they all use the same codeset.

John

Thanks, John. Hmmm... yeah you're right, they do look like pretty similar players otherwise. Yeah, I was considering a wired connection anyway, as it wouldn't be too far from my router. I wonder what the extra 500g of hardware is in the 770 vs 370, is it just the internal wireless and slightly larger enclosure size?

I wonder how they compare in terms of software for streaming? Netflix/hulu/etc.

I gather from a quick search on AVS forum that the 770 does not share firmware with the other x70 models... so the software is different. Not that that necessarily means it's better.

The remote on the 770 is backlit, unlike the other models, though I don't care about that at all since I wouldn't be using it anyway.

Are there other BD players I should consider, that have SACD and good internet streaming ability? Those are my top two qualifications at the moment.

PaulyT said:
The remote on the 770 is backlit, unlike the other models, though I don't care about that at all since I wouldn't be using it anyway.
I find it useful even if the room is partially lit. Less strain on your eyes when looking for buttons other than play, pause or stop.

PaulyT said:
...I wonder how they compare in terms of software for streaming? Netflix/hulu/etc.

I've really enjoyed Netflix on the 370. The interface on the 370 is very intuitive and uncumbersome. Netflix's menus are a little less complete on the 370 than on an LG TV I've been using quite a bit also. The 370 only shows the queue while the TV shows the queue, Netflix's suggestions, and a few more options.

As far as streaming goes, both perform great. The VQ on them is very good for the TV shows and the movies we watched.

John

DIYer said:
PaulyT said:
I find it useful even if the room is partially lit. Less strain on your eyes when looking for buttons other than play, pause or stop.

I know, and my cheapo Harmony 660 has glowing buttons and I like it. I mean I don't care what type of remote comes with the bdp, since I'll be using my own remote anyway.

Well, as you may know from my 570 thread, I was having issues with the 570, so true to my "buy them all and compare" philosophy ;) went ahead and got a 770 to try out. It's here - 24hr turnaround from Crutchfield is impressive! Anyway, firing it up now and doing the initial setup and firmware update...

Ugh, well you'll probably be unsurprised to hear that the 770, except for the physical shape of the device, is basically identical to the 570. Same behavior w.r.t. SACD w/ no TV (doesn't work). FYI I tried a regular CD as well, same thing. And a stupid and annoying thing is that it shows the track # on the front panel display for a CD, but not for an SACD... how dumb is that? Anyway, everything else is similar, there's some significant fan noise, not as loud as my PS3 but still audible from the sweet spot seating. Maybe even slightly louder than the 570, though the top of the unit doesn't feel quite as warm. Netflix+Hulu software is identical to the 570 (no CC, no DD5.1).

Anyway, unless I discover some other hidden tricks or other features I just can't live without, I'll be returning both the 570 and 770, and sticking with my PS3 for now.

Yeah, I'd love to! I'm kicking myself now for not getting a BDP-80 before they got discontinued and now used ones go for almost as much as the 83... sigh. I just can't afford $400+ for this right now.

Understood, it is a lot of coin, but you sure have been spending a lot of time comparing things, hooking them up, taking them down, etc. :(

Yeah, I've been watching, but so far from what I've seen, even 80's go for $375+...

Back