• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sorry no point for this thread

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Other than knowing how to change the player to output the max resolution, what's the point of all this?

Sorry, I posted this

Re: Netflix Streaming Resolution

They may allow it Barn but I don't think any of the media they offer is in 1080p. All their HD is 720p.

Now it may be the device, I use a HD Roku. Amazon movies in HD do come across at 1080p but I have never seen a NF movie at that yet.

Do you know of titles that are 1080p?

Exactly. Netflix can support upto 1080p but there is no way, that I can see anyhow, to know what if any titles are at that resolution.

Towen7 said:
Exactly. Netflix can support upto 1080p but there is no way, that I can see anyhow, to know what if any titles are at that resolution.
I have an info/display option on my Samsung that shows what resolution the incoming signal is.

Just checked a couple titles including Thor and all were 720p.

Other than knowing how to change the player to output the max resolution, what's the point of all this?

Sorry I started this thread.

my panasonic sucks at streaming netflix, and does the whole black out thing each time it changes resolution.

thats why i stick to my ps3 when streaming. i can also see the resolution (well if its in sd or hd or high sd etc), via the select button.

anyways, just my 2 cents.

my roku is gathering dust in the bedroom. i havent had time to fix it yet. :(

Again. Not all Netflix movies are in 1080p, in fact most are not. Here is a list of players and the resolution that Netflx will support on those devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ne ... ch_Devices

But none of this matters much. The resolution is only one relatively small part of the picture quality puzzle. The encoders, decoders, quality of the encoding/deciding itself, the available bandwidth, all factor much more than simple resolution. Displaying a poor source at 1080p will still be a poor picture.

Not saying Netflix is a poor source, just that assuming that because it's 1080p that it must be better is a rookie mistake.

Barney said:
Netflix HD is 1080P
Amazon HD is 720P
Mz, it depends on the unit/app that is doing the streaming. The unit used for the Netflix stream may only output at max 720P even though your display can do 1080P.
But Barney my device does output pay per view Amazon movies at 1080p, never seen a NF movie with that resolution.

How do you know that NF is 1080?

Towen7 said:
Again. Not all Netflix movies are in 1080p, in fact most are not. Here is a list of players and the resolution that Netflx will support on those devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ne ... ch_Devices

But none of this matters much. The resolution is only one relatively small part of the picture quality puzzle. The encoders, decoders, quality of the encoding/deciding itself, the available bandwidth, all factor much more than simple resolution. Displaying a poor source at 1080p will still be a poor picture.

Not saying Netflix is a poor source, just that assuming that because it's 1080p that it must be better is a rookie mistake.

i was simply just stating that my ps3 can 'show' you the kind of resolution you are receiving, unlike my panny player, and not saying it was in 1080p. as you mentioned, a lot of variables can determine the end result - bandwidth, player, heck even provider.

Sorry I posted this thread

thanks for this. I had no idea I could change this. thanks!

Maximo said:
thanks for this. I had no idea I could change this. thanks!
Your welcome !

Sorry I started this thread

Barney said:
mzpro5 said:
They may allow it Barn but I don't think any of the media they offer is in 1080p. All their HD is 720p.

Now it may be the device, I use a HD Roku. Amazon movies in HD do come across at 1080p but I have never seen a NF movie at that yet.

Do you know of titles that are 1080p?
mzpro5, are you sure that your Amazon Prime is 1080P , 'cause their site states their max is 720P/1080i to Tivo ? Also, according to the link towen gave, the Roku HD resolution is 720P (unless there has been an update since that info was given). Just wondering.
If you check the chart the Roku 2 XD supports 1080p and that is the one I have.

And no Amazon Prime are not 1080p but some Amazon pay per view HD movies are (Suckerpunch is one that comes to mind) per my post earlier in this thread.

mzpro5 said:
Barney said:
Netflix HD is 1080P
Amazon HD is 720P
Mz, it depends on the unit/app that is doing the streaming. The unit used for the Netflix stream may only output at max 720P even though your display can do 1080P.
But Barney my device does output pay per view Amazon movies at 1080p, never seen a NF movie with that resolution.

How do you know that NF is 1080?

Towen7 said:
Just discussing and answering questions from Barney on my part, will forward outline with bullet points. :teasing-tease:

Sorry I started this thread

Back