• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker placement and acoustics

mzpro5

Famous
First I have a confession. I have not paid much attention to discussions about rooms, acoustics and such mainly because in the very small house I had very limited options. But now things are different.

I'll try to explain this as best I can. When setting up yesterday I just kind of placed things, no real attention to exact direction of speakers , take care of that later. Then last night while listening to music I realized how good it sounded. But how? The left speaker was pointing about 5 feet to the right of the sweet spot while the right speaker was pointing directly at the sweet spot.

The room is pretty big 26x18. Ceiling is a cathedral type, about 8' at the opposing walls and running to a peak in the center, about 15' high.

Why would a half assed speaker placement sound so good? First I thought it was because my mind was a bit altered last night but I am listening this morning and it still sounds great.

And this whole house seems to have great acoustics. Playing music in the LR at moderate levels and it sounds very good in every room, almost as if I had a whole house sound system at times.

Cool Dude ! You need to share that "home grown" buds with the tiny red hairs growing in the buds... :teasing-tease:

We bought a new sectional couch back in February, and I had to move my panels up higher, probably too high, and I really notice the difference in the sound. Most of the listening this time of year occurs on the deck, so this hasn't been a huge issue, but I will probably try and figure out a way to get them back to where they were. They do make a big difference.

Small untreated rooms are detrimental to sound. It could be you are hearing those speakers breath for the first time. Try setting them up properly and make your trip to Nirvana.

Flint said:
Small untreated rooms are detrimental to sound. It could be you are hearing those speakers breath for the first time. Try setting them up properly and make your trip to Nirvana.
I know but at this stage I am afraid to touch them. :laughing-rolling:

And these are the BIC speakers supposedly my inferior speakers, not the SVS.They never sounded this good if my memory serves me correctly.

Just wait until you can enjoy the SVS speakers!

I am very excited for you! I know you are one of the few in this world who actually listens to music and enjoys it. It makes me smile to read that you are discovering ways to enjoy music even more.

Flint said:

I am very excited for you! I know you are one of the few in this world who actually listens to music and enjoys it. It makes me smile to read that you are discovering ways to enjoy music even more.
Well I do have some concerns about the SVS as I plan on putting them in the theater setup in the basement, doubt the room acoustics will be so good.

I plan on taking pics of the basement later today to start getting ideas/advice on the setup there.

I had figured on putting my Sony 5 disc changer in the basement but decided this morning I will add to the LR.

Flint said:

....... :text-+1:

That is great to hear Jeff. If you're afraid to move them, do what I do. Get some masking tape and mark their locations on the floor before you move them, so you know where to put them back if the quality decreases. With the La Scalas weighing in at 130lbs each, I don't want to/can't spend hours moving them around. LOL

Dennie :music-listening:

you can always send your leftovers to me. :happy-smileygiantred:

personally, i havent been in 'situations' where id benefit from them.

whats a 10x10 room going to do when it comes to acoustics i thought right?

then i moved into the house i lived in 3 years ago, and man, i CANNOT emphasize enough of what it does for me.

thanks to everyone on board in the snv days, and well, primarily a good number of write ups from soundhound and IG, ive learned a number of things. (after reading them three to four, to five times).

i havent set up panels here at my apartment. :angry-banghead:

Dennie said:
Flint said:

That is great to hear Jeff. If you're afraid to move them, do what I do. Get some masking tape and mark their locations on the floor before you move them, so you know where to put them back if the quality decreases. With the La Scalas weighing in at 130lbs each, I don't want to/can't spend hours moving them around. LOL

LMAO! And I thought I was the only one who geeked out with exact location.

Rope

Rope said:
Dennie said:
Flint said:

LMAO! And I thought I was the only one who geeked out with exact location.

Rope

Will duct tape work? :happy-smileygiantred:

Actually I have done that at the little house.

I've never done the tape method, but I have geeked out with the tape measure.

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:
I've never done the tape method, but I have geeked out with the tape measure.

Who hasn't. :happy-smileygiantred:

Who hasn't what?

Used the tape measure? Or use the tape measure to make sure each speaker was exactly equidistant from the listener down to within 1/4"? :happy-smileygiantred:

I tried using a ruler once, but 12 inches simply wasn't long enough. So I had to get yard dick... er... stick.

mzpro5 said:
Flint said:
I know but at this stage I am afraid to touch them. :laughing-rolling:

And these are the BIC speakers supposedly my inferior speakers, not the SVS.They never sounded this good if my memory serves me correctly.
Couple friends stopped by today and after "tapeing" the speaker positions we started trying a number of speaker placements, all taking turns listening to the same songs, sitting in the sweet spot (1.5 size recliner directly across from TV)

It appears the origionally strange off set position is the best and there was no doubt between the three of us.

But I have not yet even cracked the PDF manual on the receiver, hopefully tomorrow.

Flint said:
I tried using a ruler once, but 12 inches simply wasn't long enough. So I had to get yard dick... er... stick.

Silly goose! You're not suppose to start at your asshole when you measure! :laughing-rolling:

Huey said:
Flint said:

Silly goose! You're not suppose to start at your asshole when you measure! :laughing-rolling:

You see, that's the perfect setup for someone to refer to my mouth as the asshole.

Back