• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speakers vs. Headphones

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Just for kicks today, I went through my current demo tracks:

:text-link:

on my main HT system. I've said it before, I think careful listening to speakers can teach something about headphones, and vise-versa. I'm sharing my musings on this, the thoughts that were going through my head as I listened. Nothing scientific here.

In my particular system, the mids seem to be a bit more pronounced in the speakers compared to my Denon D5000. A little less bass overall, though the bass goes lower (more on that in a bit). I think my system with the "Flint MTMs" and Soundhound active crossover is the best I've heard in terms of imaging; the soundstage left/right and resolution of different instruments is really good - IMHO. However, the depth my speakers achieve (in stereo mode, I mean, not talking about surround) is not as great as some; in particular, Zing's. I LOVE the depth he has achieved. May largely be a factor of his speaker placement, which is much further into the room than I'm able to do in my den. I don't know if that's the only factor, though.

Anyway, it was fun to listen to this stuff on the speakers, though it takes some mental adjustment at first. When you've been concentrating on headphones for a long time, speakers just sound... narrow. :laughing: At first. Of course, the first time I seriously listened to headphones, I had the opposite effect "AAAAACK the sounds are all RIGHT IN MY HEAD" and I had a major headache within a half an hour. Of course, that may be because I was listening to AKG K701s at the time. :eusa-whistle:

But yeah, of course the big obvious different between headphones and speakers is the apparent placement of your body within the sounds you're heading. Speakers (again, with stereo only) necessarily present a "stage view" because they're in front of you. Headphones give you an "in the middle of the instruments" view. Which one prefers is highly subjective, and in my opinion and experience, depends a lot on the recording and even the style of music.

For example, I MUCH prefer headphones for choral music (e.g. my Rachmaninoff Vespers track). I get the feel that I'm right in front of the choir, like in the conductor's position, rather than in an audience set back from the stage. I love that. Maybe in part because of my history of singing in choirs (college, church), so I like the feel of being right there in it. Or with solo piano; I'm so used to playing myself and thus being right there where the sound is originating, that I prefer a presentation that puts me right up close.

On the other hand, I kinda prefer feeling like I'm further back with an orchestra. It's almost a little confusing to be right in the middle of the stage with headphones, as there's just so much going on all over the place (e.g. the Stravinsky tracks). It feels more natural to me to be set back in the audience - again probably because I don't play in orchestras (except once) and am more used to being an audience member.

Similarly, rock music from speakers feels a lot more like being at a concert, since most of us don't get the privilege of being right up on stage. (Of course, with PA systems, that's blurred a bit.)

The other difference is that with headphones, everything sounds BIG. If you're listening to (acoustic) guitar music, it sounds like your head is right near the guitar because that's where the mic is. With speakers, there's a more realistic sense of scale of an instrument. For example, the string bass (Bromberg) or the jazz ensemble (Shirley horn) present a size that's more realistic - like the bass or the drum set is really right there a few feet in front of you, as if you were present at an intimate concert venue. IMHO, this creates in my head the sense that I'm really there with the instrumentalists, which adds to the experience of the music - which is distinct from issues of frequency response, imaging, accuracy, etc. And that experience is fun!

And then there's stuff that headphones just can't do. I'm not sure any headphone in the universe can really get that bottom octave or two of a pipe organ - like in the 5-15Hz range, where you (or at least I) begin to feel it more as a vibration than a sound. Even with my lowly SVS 10NSD, that low stuff is there, while it's completely missing from the headphones. Maybe there are other headphones that do this better, I don't know. We'll see... but I have my doubts. And as others have said, the whole-body tactile sense from a subwoofer is part of the experience.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Nothing really new here, or anything you all haven't thought of before. I guess my main point is that headphones and speakers are different in more ways than simply frequency response, that they're fundamentally different physical systems, and we experience them in very different ways.

There's also a price factor. You can get into "high end" headphones for a lot less than you can with speakers. $1200 for a Senn HD800 seems extreme for a headphone (not sure I'll ever own those), but $1200 for a pair of speakers is kinda in the "meh" range for most of us - not cheap by any means, but not especially expensive, either. I think for a grand, you could get a headphone system that will reveal details in recordings that you'd have to spend many times that to really get from speakers. Not to mention having a good room, acoustics, etc.

That's one of the best things about headphones, for me. They've shown me so much in my recordings that I can then listen for in speakers. I might have been able to pick up a lot of it with the speakers, but it's just more... obvious... with headphones, IMHO. At least, with decent headphones, not your $5 iPod earbuds. It helps with the education on how to listen to music, how to find those little details that make music more interesting, that can turn good performances and recordings into great ones. That's important. (IMHO, sorry if this sounds snobby.)

I've had similar experiences, Paul. Don't know which I prefer because they are so different. The sub definitely adds a visceral punch that I don't get with my headphones. My Senn 650s just don't come close to what I get and feel with my SVS PB13, even with the Bifrost and Lyr in the chain. The soundstage with the headphones is definitely "in the head" and I'm not sure I like it as much. The HPs are more revealing but there is a price to be paid with the imaging. At least in relation to what I hear when listening to a live performance. With the SVS MTS system, I can get a good sound stage and even get good depth at times depending on the source. Speakers seem more "in front" to me and this is probably more satisfying in some ways. But the clarity with the HPs is far better. I attribute this to my less than perfect room. With a better room and treatment, I think I might like listening through speakers better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I'm an IEM whore. As my good buddy Patrick Henry once said, "give me IEM's, or give me death." :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

I'm always going to fall on the side of speakers -- speakers give me much more of a spacious sound and are far more "dimensional". I get the left to right, the up and down and the forward and back imaging with speakers. With headphones, I pretty much just get the left to right as it always sounds like the instruments are ear level with my head. I still haven't heard a recording designed for headphones though -- I need to get a CD sometime to play around with. Another "+" for speakers is the visceral feel of the deep bass. I actually don't listen to TOO much music like that, but when it's there, I like to hear/feel it. And finally, the physical constraints of a headphone setup is something I'm less enthused about.

However, headphones are a LOT cheaper to get a world class setup than it is with speakers. Plus, they're portable -- I can take them with me when I go on vacation or to work or... And if I'm going to REALLY listen to the details of something, I will oftentimes use headphones as they are better at isolating myself from outside irritations.

I like headphones more because of the already mentioned cost difference. A person can get exceptionally great quality at much less of a cost.
Plus I do most of my listening in bed, not sure the boss would allow me to crank speakers all night. Lol

Well you just need to add on a new sound-isolated room in your house... but oh yeah, the cost. :laughing:

Interesting. For me, headphones are 99% used during the day, mostly while I'm working. But I usually go to sleep between 8-9pm, and then get up between 5-6am; morning is my favorite time to listen to music and is when I get the most out of it - yeah I'm a morning person in general.

walls said:
Plus I do most of my listening in bed, not sure the boss would allow me to crank speakers all night. Lol

Consider yourself lucky. Mrs. T7 gets upset when I wear headphones. She says she feels like I'm cutting her off and trying to avoid her. Nevermind the fact that that's EXACTLY the point and that it's apparently okay for us to stare at our iPads or computers and not talk, but I digress...

Towen7 said:
walls said:

Consider yourself lucky. Mrs. T7 gets upset when I wear headphones. She says she feels like I'm cutting her off and trying to avoid her. Nevermind the fact that that's EXACTLY the point and that it's apparently okay for us to stare at our iPads or computers and not talk, but I digress...
Yeah, Gen and I have a general rule that if you have to plug it in, or if it has batteries, it's not allowed in bed...

:)

That sounds like absolutely zero fun. Lol.

Of course I'm pretty sure that my wife allows the headphones so I DONT bother her in bed.

Back