• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Squeezecenter not seeing all of my music

Huey

Famous
I think I got a virus, so I ended doing a full restore on the home computer. I keep my music backed up on an external hard drive, and copied everything back to the computer hard drive. Before everything went bust, squeezecenter would say that I had somewhere more than 16000 tracks, after the reinstall, it says I only have 14333 tracks. I have no way of knowing what is missing, but I do know of at least one cd that is in the music folder, but after multiple scans, it still won't show up in squeezecenter.

Anybody have any ideas?

Does the album in question appear in a music folder on your HD? If so, copy it to another location, use squeeze
center to rescan, restore the album to it's rightful location, rescan.

Rope

Have you tried opening those "missing" files in some other player? I just wonder if they're corrupted or something such that SC doesn't think they're legit music files? Or possibly an incompatible format? Just guessing here...

Have you made in changes to Squeezecenter since that virus? Double check and make sure your music is still going to the same location as the rest of your music. It could be something as simple as Squeezecenter looking in one location, but the ripping software you use might be placing new music in another location.

One other thing is it could be the CD itself. An example is the '82 Genesis CD I have (original pressing, not the remaster). No matter what ripping software I use (dP Poweramp, WMP, Media Monkey, etc.), playback is very heavy distorted. I get the same effect when playing the disc itself in the PC or any of my DVD players. For some reason, this disc will only play in my old 5 disc CD changer. How's that for strange?

The one album in question, David Gilmour's On an Island, does show up in my music library folder, it just won't show up in Squeeze Server. I downloaded media monkey, did the file scan/import, and it gives a similar file count that squeeze server gives, although it did say that 1875 files could not be imported because they do no meet the criteria. Although when I look at the files that it would not import into media monkey, all of those same files do show up in squeeze server and play, so not sure what is going on.

Maybe it has something to do with my kid and itunes, which of course was wiped clean on the new install, and I truly never had that many files. I'll have to rerip the one album in question, although dbpoweramp is not playing nice due to the install code that is given based on my email, and saying it is not a valid code. Thanks for the help.

Grrrrrrr! It seems that my Maxtor backup did a piss poor job of backing things up! I have incomplete albums, missing artwork, and albums with nothing in them. I guess on the bright side, I at least can find out what is missing, although this is going to take a long time to figure out!

Everyone has their preferences, but I do not rely on backup programs. Every Friday, I manually backup my data files, select all, copy, paste. This includes all media files.

Rope

Rope said:
Everyone has their preferences, but I do not rely on backup programs. Every Friday, I manually backup my data files, select all, copy, paste. This includes all media files.

Rope

The backup did it's job, sort of, in that all of the files are there, they are just corrupted and unplayable. I had to restore it 6 weeks ago, and I think something happened in the restore process, and then it backed up the corrupted files.

Back