• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Starring Adam West: A documentary

TitaniumTroy

Recently I saw this on Showtime, I think. Anyway I liked, it's about a quest by his manger and kids to get Adam West his Star on the walk of fame in Hollywood.

What struck me was what a nice guy, he seemed. With a really good sense of humor. Plus I liked hearing about his ups and downs as an actor being typecast. To finally accepting his fate and breaking free of it in some roles he played. Not to mention all the backstory on Batman the TV show.

Adam West doesn't have a star? That's too bad. I'd watch this, it looks pretty interesting.

I don't understand the whole typecasting thing. Very few of us are one trick ponies.

Adam West doesn't have a star? That's too bad. I'd watch this, it looks pretty interesting.

Considering the level of "talent" that some of those WITH stars have I agree that Mr. West deserved a star a long time ago.

As in, actually don't understand how/why someone is typecast? Or simply how typecasting doesn't relate to reality?
They become so ingrained in the roll, that people have trouble seeing them as anything else. Pee Wee Herman is a good example, although he has had some parts in other movies to try and break out of the typecasting.

As in, actually don't understand how/why someone is typecast? Or simply how typecasting doesn't relate to reality?

How typecasting relates to reality. Let them try and if they make it through the audition process give them a shot. Let them prove whether or not they can handle a different role.

They become so ingrained in the roll, that people have trouble seeing them as anything else. Pee Wee Herman is a good example, although he has had some parts in other movies to try and break out of the typecasting.

Ok, well using the Pee Wee Herman example, I kinda do get it. LOL. But seriously, I cant remember exactly what else he did (and maybe that is the problem), but I thought Paul Ruebens (SP?) did ok in some other stuff that I saw.

How typecasting relates to reality. Let them try and if they make it through the audition process give them a shot. Let them prove whether or not they can handle a different role.

Ok, well using the Pee Wee Herman example, I kinda do get it. LOL. But seriously, I cant remember exactly what else he did (and maybe that is the problem), but I thought Paul Ruebens (SP?) did ok in some other stuff that I saw.
Adam West? The only thing I can think of that he did, was play the mayor of Qouhog(sp) on Family Guy. Which he did a great job on.

That's not typecasting

Hollywood is not reality. That's the point. A working formula is a much simpler formula than making a new formula.
~Salt always tastes good on my food, why change it?
Somebody who is good at playing an asshole/best friend/jerk/ is quicker/easier than finding out if someone new can play an asshole.

That's not typecasting

Hollywood is not reality. That's the point. A working formula is a much simpler formula than making a new formula.
~Salt always tastes good on my food, why change it?
Somebody who is good at playing an asshole/best friend/jerk/ is quicker/easier than finding out if someone new can play an asshole.
Somebody who always plays the bad guy, is kind of typecasting, but a true typecasting would be that you couldn't see that person in any other roll that made them famous, aka Adam West.

Ya, I get it. I know what typecasting is, but I just don't get it. Look at how many musical artists have reinvented themselves to remain relevant for long periods of time. I think artists can be REALLY good and one thing and then go be REALLY good at something else.

I think Adam West could have done something other than be Batman.

I get the whole thing, I just think it is kinda BS.

Don't disagree Randy, and William Shatner is a good example of that. He was typecast as Captain Kirk after Star Trek, couldn't get work for awhile and was even living in his vehicle for awhile in the 70's.

Don't disagree Randy, and William Shatner is a good example of that. He was typecast as Captain Kirk after Star Trek, couldn't get work for awhile and was even living in his vehicle for awhile in the 70's.
yeah...but have you seen William Shatner? TJ Hooker was pretty bad...he was horrendous in almost anything else I can think of
and for the last 2 decades he's gotten over by playing crazy (which I don't think is far from the truth). So...he didn't really have another
trick to play..

Also, this:

It was an example. I didn't say he was a great actor, but if you want to pick it apart, then be my guest.

I think the biggest factor of West being typecast, was that the Batman show was parody. So it was probably hard to imagine him in any roles unless they were similar. Regardless of that or his talent, Adam West was a star, that show was a hit and if not for him and that show, Batman would not be as popular as he is today.

Last edited:
yeah...but have you seen William Shatner? TJ Hooker was pretty bad...he was horrendous in almost anything else I can think of
and for the last 2 decades he's gotten over by playing crazy (which I don't think is far from the truth). So...he didn't really have another
trick to play..

Also, this:

Oh man, I don't want to be around when a certain forum member from the Great White North reads that post. :fight::fight::fight:

I fell a fight a brewin, EH!!!

Anthony Perkins was typecast after playing Norman Bates and he couldn't get any work after Psycho came out. He stated many times how that movie ruined his career.

Back