• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Still buy dvds?

I still buy DVD's...IF i find em cheap enough. New releases that I really want I will buy on BLU but I will purchase DVD's from the 5 or $20 bin often when its movies that I am less interested in.

One thing I have a hard time doing is "double dipping" for BLU. For instance, I have Star Trek on DVD (dont ask) and unless I find it for less then $12 I will not gwet it on BLU.

If available, I buy the combo packs with BD, DVD and digital copy. Esp the the CGI animated since they get viewed by far, the most often...

I have to admit that I I bought the BD edition of the Family Guy spoof of the Star Wars trilogy. There is no good reason to spend the extra money.

I still buy a lot of back-catalog stuff on DVD. There are a lot of older movies there the source material itself isn't good enough to bother with HD. I recently bought the first four Dirty Harry movies, a Fistfull of Dolars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and a few other older Clint Eastwood films for $4/ea on DVD and I don't thinK BD would make an appreciable different on any of them. On the other hand, I absolutely sprung for BD when I bought Unforgiven. There are also genres of movies where I just don't care as much. Do I really need to There's Something About Mary in HD?

I buy DVDs of TV shows, especially foreign shows I'll never see in the US otherwise. I also still buy discs of movies I want to see but don't want to take the time to watch them immediately while everyone is talking about them. I prefer watching movies after they are out of the public spotlight as I enjoy them more out of context of the hype. If I don't buy the disc, then I forget to watch it.

^ all valid reasons to continue with DVD in some cases, my distaste for older movies is documented because I can't stand to look at them.... When it comes to older material just call me Shallow Hal :D

This post was jokingly made towards Haywood but Flint snuck a post in there on me during my response...

Where do you draw the line on old material?

After all, Jeremia Johnson looks staggeringly gorgeous, but it is from the early 70s. Before that was Gone with the Wind (Gorgeous!), Lawrence of Arabia (Stunning!) and others, and those are from the 50s. What is too old - or do you mean to say that just in general old movies suck (most movies from the 70s look terrible).

Star Wars?? but hey I'm barely over 35...:D
Although I'm starting to turn on those because I can't stand George Lucas...I can make through some older Bond movies too. ;) I'm not even saying that old movies suck from a content POV, just that I can't get past the old school visual FX when I watch them. I just find them distracting. One exception that comes to mind is The Wizard of Oz however...

Flint said:
Where do you draw the line on old material?

After all, Jeremia Johnson looks staggeringly gorgeous, but it is from the early 70s. Before that was Gone with the Wind (Gorgeous!), Lawrence of Arabia (Stunning!) and others, and those are from the 50s. What is too old - or do you mean to say that just in general old movies suck (most movies from the 70s look terrible).

Do those older films look better on the Bluray as opposed to on DVD that's upconverted by a BD player? I see a lot of older b&w films on Bluray and was wondering if them being remastered for Bluray was overkill.

I plan on taking a "Bluray 1st, DVD 2nd" attitude when it comes to purchasing movies and TV shows. DVDs look wonderful on my PS3, so shows like Seinfeld or Top Gear that's only on DVD won't be a deal breaker for me. I'm not as picky with movies and shows as I am with music.

Yesfan70 said:
Do those older films look better on the Bluray as opposed to on DVD that's upconverted by a BD player? I see a lot of older b&w films on Bluray and was wondering if them being remastered for Bluray was overkill.
I've got Dr. Strangelove, a black-n-white film, on Bluray and its stunning; really gave me more appreciation for Kubrick's skills with lighting and perspective (for example, the cigarette smoke in the Colonel's office).
And wasn't The Wizard of Oz (1939) supposed to be really good on Bluray, too?

But how does Strangelove looked compared to the remastered DVD version on your BD player (that can be upscaled)? That's my main point. Seems with some of these older films, DVD might be more than good enough as far as formats go.

It's like buying a CD of music from the 20s and 30s. It sounds good on CD, but is that same music going to sound even better on a SACD or DVD-A reissue? I'm willing to bet no.

Yesfan70 said:
But how does Strangelove looked compared to the remastered DVD version on your BD player (that can be upscaled)? That's my main point. Seems with some of these older films, DVD might be more than good enough as far as formats go.

It's like buying a CD of music from the 20s and 30s. It sounds good on CD, but is that same music going to sound even better on a SACD or DVD-A reissue? I'm willing to bet no.

That would depend heavily on the condition of the originals they have to work with, and the skill the person remastering possess, not to mention the budget given for the remastering project. Although, I agree, in some instances they can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, since the technology used originally was limited.

Rope

Yesfan70 said:

Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately I only have the BD, no DVD of that movie.

Have 2001 on Blu and it blows away the DVD version. I wait till the Bluray goes on sale for 9.99 which happens all the time and then sell the DVD version for 5.00 to a co-worker so upgrades only cost me a Lincoln

Wow! A new post in this section. I was close to trashing this forum (or perhaps merging these threads with another forum).

MatthewB said:
Have 2001 on Blu and it blows away the DVD version. I wait till the Bluray goes on sale for 9.99 which happens all the time and then sell the DVD version for 5.00 to a co-worker so upgrades only cost me a Lincoln

Hey Matt,

How about posting some screen shots of the two for comparison? Personally, I would like to see an older film for this comparison but 2001 is a better choice then something that was made in the early 90s.

I just bought a stack of older films on DVD, a local pawn shop by my office sells them 8 for $10. Picked up Halloween II, Bad Taste, Souther Comfort among others.

Like I said earlier, some older films look fantastic on DVD and for the price cant be beat!

Back