• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Stop calling subpar musicians "Bad Ass" just because they are female!!!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Well, it finally happened. While I was mildly irritated by people on Social Media posting videos of girl metal bands and calling them "BAD ASS" or "KICK ASS" or "ROCKIN' ASS" or some form of ass being used to mean really rocking their instruments and music, there has been a substantial increase in these postings and it has started getting under my skin.

Sure, they can make a good recording (using all the little tricks studios use to make anyone, even your 97 year old decrepit grandmother sound more like Randy Rhoades than Randy Rhoades did on his best day). Sure, they can put on tight fitting skimpy leather garb which enhances their finer physical attributes while minimizing their weaker body parts and make a video with quick cut edits so fast you actually believe the lead guitarist can perform live the arpeggios you hear in the recording. Sure, they can write lyrics about killing virgins or burning witches or tearing shit down. Hell, they can even look almost as sexy and ready to drop to their knees as the male hair-bands they are emulating, such as...

RATT...
METAL_3ZT74bCHs3zSxpfuqAPBvi-1200-80.jpg

Poison...
METAL_poison_80sbighair.jpg

Or, Extreme...
METAL_Extreme_-_Band_23.jpg

... but, ultimately, they are pretty lousy parodies of that awful period. Sure, it is great to see actual women looking like the metal stars we confusingly didn't understand could maybe be women in the late 1980s, but their playing is pale imitation, their writing is pure rip-off, and their skills wouldn't get them an opening spot on a triple header with with any Led Zepplin or Gunz-n-Roses cover band.

Here's an example of a well produced song and video by a modern all female metal band...

Sure, it rocks, but other than the speed drumming it is rehashing the worst cliches of the 80's hair band movement. I also cannot help but hear a male voice being tripled or quadrupled with all the lyrics.

Here's the same band playing live...

Well.... they finished the song, but the drums are far from as tight and clean, and she misses or flubs half the bass drum staccatos. The lead guitarist, well, she has great head thrashing skills, but she doesn't come close to playing all the notes on the recording, or even the most interesting and impressive parts.

Don't get me wrong. Burning Witch is a very decent metal band worthy of a low rent music festival or a great kitchie night out with friends and lots of alcohol. But, "bad ass"? I think not.

Double standards - we don't expect to see girls rocking death metal, so we lower the bar to praise this stuff. Nothing is wrong with them, they should keep playing and releasing music and fans can enjoy it, but stop with the over-promotion of this sort of subpar stuff.

Or, whatever, who cares. We're all gonna die from this pandemic by the end of the month anyway.

Well, it finally happened. While I was mildly irritated by people on Social Media posting videos of girl metal bands and calling them "BAD ASS" or "KICK ASS" or "ROCKIN' ASS" or some form of ass being used to mean really rocking their instruments and music, there has been a substantial increase in these postings and it has started getting under my skin.

Sure, they can make a good recording (using all the little tricks studios use to make anyone, even your 97 year old decrepit grandmother sound more like Randy Rhoades than Randy Rhoades did on his best day). Sure, they can put on tight fitting skimpy leather garb which enhances their finer physical attributes while minimizing their weaker body parts and make a video with quick cut edits so fast you actually believe the lead guitarist can perform live the arpeggios you hear in the recording. Sure, they can write lyrics about killing virgins or burning witches or tearing shit down. Hell, they can even look almost as sexy and ready to drop to their knees as the male hair-bands they are emulating, such as...

RATT...
View attachment 10435

Poison...
View attachment 10436

Or, Extreme...
View attachment 10437

... but, ultimately, they are pretty lousy parodies of that awful period. Sure, it is great to see actual women looking like the metal stars we confusingly didn't understand could maybe be women in the late 1980s, but their playing is pale imitation, their writing is pure rip-off, and their skills wouldn't get them an opening spot on a triple header with with any Led Zepplin or Gunz-n-Roses cover band.

Here's an example of a well produced song and video by a modern all female metal band...

Sure, it rocks, but other than the speed drumming it is rehashing the worst cliches of the 80's hair band movement. I also cannot help but hear a male voice being tripled or quadrupled with all the lyrics.

Well.... they finished the song, but the drums are far from as tight and clean, and she misses or flubs half the bass drum staccatos. The lead guitarist, well, she has great head thrashing skills, but she doesn't come close to playing all the notes on the recording, or even the most interesting and impressive parts.

Don't get me wrong. Burning Witch is a very decent metal band worthy of a low rent music festival or a great kitchie night out with friends and lots of alcohol. But, "bad ass"? I think not.

Double standards - we don't expect to see girls rocking death metal, so we lower the bar to praise this stuff. Nothing is wrong with them, they should keep playing and releasing music and fans can enjoy it, but stop with the over-promotion of this sort of subpar stuff.

Or, whatever, who cares. We're all gonna die from this pandemic by the end of the month anyway.
I'll go with that!!

RATT...
View attachment 10435

Poison...
View attachment 10436

Or, Extreme...
View attachment 10437

So, one of the bands you posted is one of my faves from that period. Loved most of Ratt's studio stuff and Warren Dimartini was a really good guitarist as well as Juan Croucier on bass.

I have seen them live 3 or 4 times and I swore (just like Motley Crue) that I would never pay to see them again. They just sucked live and sounded like shit every time.

And, the bottom band of pretty boys you posted, Extreme is very good live and Nuno Bettencourt is one amazing and highly revered guitar players.

So there was some good that came out of that. Plus, that time was a hell of a lot of fun. Especially if you worked part time in one of them good old Rock and Roll bars that had hair bands and all the associated female fans that time brought along.

Burning Witches are terrible, but if you want a good laugh you need to check out Thunderpussy.

So, one of the bands you posted is one of my faves from that period. Loved most of Ratt's studio stuff and Warren Dimartini was a really good guitarist as well as Juan Croucier on bass.

I have seen them live 3 or 4 times and I swore (just like Motley Crue) that I would never pay to see them again. They just sucked live and sounded like shit every time.

And, the bottom band of pretty boys you posted, Extreme is very good live and Nuno Bettencourt is one amazing and highly revered guitar players.

So there was some good that came out of that. Plus, that time was a hell of a lot of fun. Especially if you worked part time in one of them good old Rock and Roll bars that had hair bands and all the associated female fans that time brought along.

To note... those photos were added to show examples of how much the original hair bands looked like young vixens eager to blow a rock star.

I had to run out the door when I posted that Thunderpussy video. It is one of the most cringy, awkward, unsexy things I've ever seen and the music isn't any better. My wife was there when I found this gem. We were kicked back on the couch browsing thru YouTube when this popped up. It looked so bad, I couldn't resist. My wife thought it was awful, just wanted it gone and could not understand why I was laughing my ass off and wanted to watch the whole ill-advised trainwreck.

Look, I didn't like Thunderpussy, but at least they are trying to create unique "art" which is their's alone. Clearly they are aimed at extreme hardcore feminist anger management candidates, which isn't my scene, but it is highly commendable of them. At least they aren't cheap Chinese knockoffs you can buy for $1 sitting on a towel in the streets of New York.

By the way, this complaint applies to child musicians on the internet as well - as long as the child isn't performing on a professional level. I consider it borderline child abuse to tell them they are amazing musicians when they actually haven't learned, practiced, or experienced enough to demonstrate that they are, indeed, showing any special talent. It doesn't help them get better to "boost their morale" with empty praise. Talent takes years of hard work, passion, and willingness to humbly learn.

Last edited:
Look, I didn't like Thunderpussy, but at least they are trying to create unique "art" which is their's alone. Clearly they are aimed at extreme hardcore feminist anger management candidates, which isn't my scene, but it is highly commendable of them. At least they aren't cheap Chinese knockoffs you can buy for $1 sitting on a towel in the streets of New York.

I guess. Some people think a banana taped to the wall is art, so there is bound to be someone who connects with what they are doing. The part I found so captivating is that they are all up there in these super scanty costumes obviously trying to be sexy and utterly failing at it. It reminded me of that awful Miley Cyrus performance with Robin Thicke. It is almost like they are shooting for the Pussycat Dolls and landing on Michael Cera.

I guess. Some people think a banana taped to the wall is art, so there is bound to be someone who connects with what they are doing. The part I found so captivating is that they are all up there in these super scanty costumes obviously trying to be sexy and utterly failing at it. It reminded me of that awful Miley Cyrus performance with Robin Thicke. It is almost like they are shooting for the Pussycat Dolls and landing on Michael Cera.

Maybe I didn't get it, but I didn't think they were trying to be sexy to men but to mock the sexualization of women in society by specifically NOT being sexy while appearing to do things which should be sexy.

See, art is in the eyes of the beholder.

Maybe I didn't get it, but I didn't think they were trying to be sexy to men but to mock the sexualization of women in society by specifically NOT being sexy while appearing to do things which should be sexy.

See, art is in the eyes of the beholder.

Maybe I should watch it again, because I was not looking for deeper meaning. I just assumed they suck.

Maybe I should watch it again, because I was not looking for deeper meaning. I just assumed they suck.

Much like Hole, the name suggested to me that they were an aggressively militant feminist band, so everything I saw I presumed was intended to make a statement about the unacceptable sexualization of women.

Much like Hole, the name suggested to me that they were an aggressively militant feminist band, so everything I saw I presumed was intended to make a statement about the unacceptable sexualization of women.

But, I really didn't like it. I am only analyzing what I think they were attempting to do and to point out that I don't believe I was their intended audience.

To note... those photos were added to show examples of how much the original hair bands looked like young vixens eager to blow a rock star.

I assumed that by your comments in the original thread.

Back