• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Storing gear in plastic wrap long term? Bad idea or not?

Kazaam

During my last move, I wrapped my HT gear in that heavy duty clear plastic wrap they sell at Lowes. Just to protect them from scratches. And so I wrapped 'em good. Many layers thick. And tightly. With everything. Receiver, DVD players, speakers, etc.

Well... I still have some unused gear wrapped up (an extra sub, speakers, and a couple DVD players).

I've begun to wonder if this could be a bad idea for long term storage. Sure it keeps the gear from getting scratched. But what say moisture somehow creeps in there (humidity and all). Maybe it isn't so good that the equipment can't easily breathe. I dunno. I'm leaning toward just continuing to leave the stuff wrapped up. But figured I'd ask for opinions just in case. Thanks.

Re: Storing gear in plastic wrap long term? Bad idea or not

I wonder if toss in one those moisture packets to be on the safe side just a thought.

Is the stuff stored in a location that's temperature controlled?

It's in a basement. So maybe 60 at the lowest in winter. And occasionally humid in summer, but if I empty the dehumidifier regularly then it feels pretty dry.

Not that I've tried it, but if you're into plastic...

How about those large plastic sealable storage bags (heavy poly) intended for things like big quilts, but which, after closing them up, can be "sucked" or pumped down to give a nearly airless storage enclosure?

Just a thought.

Jeff

If the space requires a dehumidifier I'd be concerned about trapped moisture. You can buy those little silica packs you find packed in all new electronics pretty cheaply. In my climate I'd not store anything long term in a non air conditioned space (because the AC removes moisture fom the air) without them.

Think I'll probably remove the wrapping.

But I'll have to find a better place to store 'em. Initially, I thought I had a nice clean place; but other lazy people have just started to throw sh!t like tools and whatnot on the shelf space right around the stuff. I guess I should've kept the factory boxes, but I didn't really plan on not using the speakers. I'll figure something out.

Back