• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Strange!

Huey

Famous
Our new dog named Zeus, nickname asshole, had decided he wanted to check out the area behind the entertainment center. Of course, he must have gotten tangled up in some wires, and unplugged some of the connections from the preouts to the amp. After getting everything reconnected, I went to the menu of the receiver to make sure levels were correct.

Going to the settings menu for speaker sizes, crossover, etc, when cycling through the options, the very last option is for presence speakers, either yes or no. Here's where it gets strange. I've never had presence speakers, so this setting has always been off. When I got to the setting though, in the off setting, the white noise was playing in the off setting on my left and right front speakers, and turned off when I turned the setting to on. What? I can't for the life of me figure this out, other than I've had a circuit go bad in the receiver. Any ideas?

And before I catch hell for calling my dog asshole, for the most part he is a good and lovable puppy. He just does asshole things. One of the reasons I agreed to get a new puppy is that we are needing new carpets, and figure it's better to get him now rather than later. And he has done a number on the carpets, but fortunately we broke him from relieving himself on the couch. Yes, it's been a long summer.

Did you unplug the receiver from the AC line, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, and then plug it back in and turn it on? If the problem disappeared, then its probably something that went wrong with the microcontroller which controls all the functions. If the receiver works normally after unplugging it, I wouldn't worry unless it happens repeatedly.

Did you unplug the receiver from the AC line, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, and then plug it back in and turn it on? If the problem disappeared, then its probably something that went wrong with the microcontroller which controls all the functions. If the receiver works normally after unplugging it, I wouldn't worry unless it happens repeatedly.
Did not try that, but will try when I get home tonight. As far as I can tell, everything is working correctly, it's just at the settings menu things seem wonky.

I think it sounds like this "presence speakers" is an additional sound setting for additional speakers. The receiver takes some of the right and left signal and sends it to an additional set of front right and left speakers. I remember Yamaha having something like this in the past. If so, maybe your receiver is sending a partial signal to the only place it can when the setting is sent to "off", such as your front right and left speakers, where it would normally go anyways. When the setting is sent to "On" it will only send that partial signal to the "presence speakers"
Just a thought.

I think it sounds like this "presence speakers" is an additional sound setting for additional speakers. The receiver takes some of the right and left signal and sends it to an additional set of front right and left speakers. I remember Yamaha having something like this in the past. If so, maybe your receiver is sending a partial signal to the only place it can when the setting is sent to "off", such as your front right and left speakers, where it would normally go anyways. When the setting is sent to "On" it will only send that partial signal to the "presence speakers"
Just a thought.

Yes, that is exactly what they are. Shouldn't be any type of test tone with the setting off, that's what strange, it is sending white noise to the fronts in the off setting. Again, under normal usage, I think everything is ok, it's just at the settings menu.

Back