• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Stream Mayweather vs McGregor on Roku or Sony TV?

yromj

A friend of mine who lives in Hot Springs and subscribes to the local cable company (the WORST) wants to have a watch party for the fight. He told me this and I chuckled because I know that means he wants to watch it on several TVs and he's (I would imagine) going to have pay for each device (more on that in a sec). He laughed and said it was worse than that because the cable company doesn't offer PPV (they're stuck in 1992).

So, I looked online and it seems that Showtime is the provider in the US. One site says that UFC.TV will stream it but that contradicts the exclusivity that Showtime has from what I've read and UFC.TV doesn't show it in their list of PPVs you can purchase.

Stephen subscribes to Showtime so I checked the Showtime Anytime app and I don't see a way to purchase it there either. So, is he SOL since his provider doesn't offer PPV? I put this thread in this section because I thought some (cough_Haywood_cough) may know something about this.

For devices he has Roku and Sony smart TVs (2016 models) and one Samsung smart TV (also 2016). He wants to show this on 7 TVs (I really need to post a thread about the project I did for him...). He was under the impression that a single PPV fee would handle the household but I told him I'm skeptical about that. Does anyone know how that works? One fee per device, per x devices, etc?

Thanks,

John

Usually it is one fee per household. I usually have the fights on 3 displays when I host. The main room upstairs, the big Mits downstairs, and in my bedroom where my DVR is so I can make sure it is recording in case there is anything I want to watch again later.

The rest of it I can not speak to as I don't Roku or any of that other streamy dreamy stuff. I know I really should get with the times.

It'd be cheaper to get an hdmi splitter and get it worked out on the hardware side wouldn't it?

Thanks for the info Randy. Any idea what the max number of devices is? How do they ensure that someone doesn't buy the PPV and then give the info to all of their friends to use? (Obviously I've never done a PPV event before.)

Bats, the HDMI splitter would only resolve 3 of the TVs (4 TVs are mounted above a pool table) because the 7 TVs are spread out over multiple locations on multiple floors.

John

Thanks for the info Randy. Any idea what the max number of devices is? How do they ensure that someone doesn't buy the PPV and then give the info to all of their friends to use? (Obviously I've never done a PPV event before.)

Bats, the HDMI splitter would only resolve 3 of the TVs (4 TVs are mounted above a pool table) because the 7 TVs are spread out over multiple locations on multiple floors.

John

Other than cable and Direct, I have no idea, but with both of them, the max number of devices is the max number of displays connected (cable) and the max number of receivers you have/ pay for.

John

The STBs are addressable so each box is associated with a specific account. If box not on the account it won't receive the PPV content.

Agree with Tom. With Directv you have one main box and two linked mini boxes called "Genies". The main box handles the storage of the DVR recorded shows and the genies just piggyback off that main box. As Tom said if you watch or rent a PPV movie it goes to the main box and you can watch on any if the linked genie boxes. Cable should be the same way you buy it and any box on the account should be able to watch it. This is how bars do it. They will pay the 100.00 fee and be able to watch off multiple TV's in the bar with the one time fee. Seriously doubt a bar is gonna pay 100 a tv to broadcast it to say 10-15 TV's. Since your buddy has cable from the 90's he may not be able to do it but agree the HDMI splitter maybe the way to go but that's a lot of money for the splitter and to run multiple HDMI cables a long distance may also be an issue as most can only go about 25 feet before the length of the cable starts to become an issue.

I don't have the Genie setup I have three individual direct receivers and none of them are hooked up to phone or internet so I have to order online to get it on all displays. If I order from one set, only that set will get it.
Matt, bars would pay $100 for something like that in a New York Minute. The SO I would be through the roof.
The cable companies, direct and dish charge commeecial accounts in places of assembly by the seat. When I had the bar we talked about getting a couple of fights and it was going to be about 3 grand per event. We determined the ROI was not there for us.

Most bars with 10-15 sets are using a video distribution system anyway.

Most bars with 10-15 sets are using a video distribution system anyway.

Yes we only had 4 displays so we never went to video distribution.
We just had the big projector on the dance floor and another display over the pool table in that room, then 2 displays over the main bar.
Charter sent a guy out to physically count the number chairs and when he saw our setup, big bandstand area and a big dance floor he measured the square footage and figured in how many more seats we "could" put in that area and added it all in. They refused to budge or negotiate.
I have a buddy that owns a big bar in town, much bigger overall than ours, and he has Mayweather vs Paquiao there was easily 1000 people there that night.
I have been meaning to ask him what he paid but never got around to it.

Thanks for the info so far guys. That makes sense about the provider being able to enable their device(s) to access the event, a la a premium channel.

Since the cable provider doesn't offer PPV, or Showtime (I thought they did and therefore he had it but nope), he's left with streaming options. Does anyone know anything about those options? I've read that UFC.TV may stream it either through their app, which is available for Roku, or Youtube (which would be excellent since every device can access that).

One thought I had was to have him subscribe to Showtime through Amazon; anyone think that would give him access to the Showtime PPV events?

Thanks,

John

Personally I'm just gonna avoid the news wait an hour after the fight and just watch it for free on YouTube.

The UFC does a pretty good job of keeping their PPV stuff off youtube. You can find some of the stuff they air free on TV every now and again, but most of it is gone right after it hits.

Im thinking Showtime will do the same thing, although I don't know because I really don't follow boxing at all.

Well, he was finally able to order the PPV through UFC.TV. All of the TVs have that app except one TV which has a Roku attached so he's good now. Hopefully, since he's using a streaming service and not a cable provider to purchase this, they can all use the same credentials to log in.

John

Not me.
I was down at first but during the lead-up it became apparent to me that they're both much, much, much more interested in the "show" than the fight.
Fake hate isn't what I want from a fight at this level.

IMG_1671.JPG

Here they are taking turns dropping insults on each other like it's a school yard yo-mamma contest while Dana looks on and giggles. It's a comedy act. This exact act or should I say "press conference" happened over and over again.

In short, nothing about this fight seems genuine.

Last edited:
I finally got access near the end of the 7th round. TKO in the 10th and deservedly so; McGregor wasn't throwing any punches and took several hard shots. I think a younger Mayweather would've ended it sooner but still impressive that McGregor made it 10 rounds in a boxing match; I wasn't expecting that and it looked legit from what I saw.

Back