• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Streaming ads during your TV programming

I am not a fan of smart TVs and use external streaming devices on all my sets, partly because of bad experiences with TV manufacturers trying to drive me toward specific apps or content. I wish there was an option to turn all the smart crap off, but alas...

I am not a fan of smart TVs and use external streaming devices on all my sets, partly because of bad experiences with TV manufacturers trying to drive me toward specific apps or content. I wish there was an option to turn all the smart crap off, but alas...
Yeah, the drive to generate cash from advertising has made the internet a crappy experience all too often, and now mere commercial breaks aren't enough for them. The device makers are trying to get in on it- we bought some onn brand TVs for church (they use Roku software) and the smart functionality is a real hassle when it comes to setting them up. You can't even disable it from the get go... you have to log in with a username BEFORE you can turn it off. It's a pretty hostile user experience.

I have a more general question, not just tailored for this thread/forum/nation:

Do constant advertisements really sway your purchase decisions? At my age, I've settled on a favorite bath soap/paper towel/jeans/car/house paint/beer/electrician/etc (and I don't even drink Coke-vs-Pepsi), and the constant bombardment from other "GimmeYerMoney" organizations (locally for me: roofers, remodelers, business suit sales, "let-me-buy-your-house-today!") make me mentally note them to not EVER do business with them. Am I the only one?

I will not pay for any content service that makes me watch ads. I'll pay an upcharge to avoid ads, but I have no interest in any service that makes me watch them.

Do constant advertisements really sway your purchase decisions? At my age, I've settled on a favorite bath soap/paper towel/jeans/car/house paint/beer/electrician/etc (and I don't even drink Coke-vs-Pepsi), and the constant bombardment from other "GimmeYerMoney" organizations (locally for me: roofers, remodelers, business suit sales, "let-me-buy-your-house-today!") make me mentally note them to not EVER do business with them. Am I the only one?
Might not sway you and I but if advertising DIDN"T work , no one would be paying to do it, IMHO.

It can help. Specifically, if there’s a specific offer being made or it makes me aware of a product I might like and of which I was clueless. Generally, it can build a sense of good feeling toward the product or brand. I’m not likely to buy a Chevy truck over a Ford because I see a Chevy ad, but I could move a purchase decision forward if I see they’re offering great incentives, that type of thing.

Back