• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Streaming from laptop to receiver?

Nufan

Is there a receiver out that I can stream my laptop to?
We watch comcast on demand using a friends account and instead of dragging out the 20' HDMI cord and hooking it up to the laptop I would like to stream right to the receiver. I need a new receiver anyways.
I want something that will mirror the laptop display, not like a Ruko, or such, were they just play apps.

We also have a smart tv (visio).

thanks guys

I just bought a Google Chromecast which is supposed to do exactly that (you have to use Chrome as your browser, it loaded quickly for me and is amazingly fast). Once you load the Chromecast app, a small box appears on the Chrome screen. You open what you want to watch in Chrome, click that box, and the video should stream to your TV.
Unfortunately, I can't get my router and the Chromecast to talk to each other; I'll give it another couple days and then may have to return the Chromecast (lots of others love it).

Nufan said:
Is there a receiver out that I can stream my laptop to?
We watch comcast on demand using a friends account and instead of dragging out the 20' HDMI cord and hooking it up to the laptop I would like to stream right to the receiver. I need a new receiver anyways.
I want something that will mirror the laptop display, not like a Ruko, or such, were they just play apps.

We also have a smart tv (visio).

thanks guys

That would be a nice feature that way your could hear through your home theater. I cut the cord 2 years ago. My sis has TWC and she gave me her log on. But if I use the roku or xbox TWC app it detects a home router and disconnects. I can use a tablet or laptop with hdmi but cannot hear through TV for some reason. Can see on screen of TV but have to listen through laptop or tablets speakers and the lip-syncing is weird.

The Chromecast will be the cheapest solution. No receiver that I know will let you send video to it from a web browser unless you are using something like the Chromecast.

Nufan said:
Chromecast rocks!!

I returned mine. :|

It took a lot of experimentation (we're talking hours here) but I finally got mine to work. Unfortunately the picture was very jerky, and the sound and video weren't lined up very well at all.
If a software upgrade fixes these problems, this thing will be the shiznit (cost, size). But, for me anyway, not yet.

Hmm, I am surprised at your problems. I have one and it works very well. I haven't noticed the things that you had problems with.

lulimet said:
Hmm, I am surprised at your problems. I have one and it works very well. I haven't noticed the things that you had problems with.

Lullimet, I am cursed when it comes to personal tech. When I dropped comcast, I had trouble getting my TV DVR working, I didn't have TV reception here and it sucked up 248 MB of bandwidth in a month. The Google Fire I got for signing up for an OTA Intranetz provider, has been nothing but problems, I hate it. I got the Chromecast to access local news via the 'net, and it took forever to get it to talk to my network, and didn't work well when I did. When I threw in the towel last Friday and had Dish installed, it worked okay but I've spent 4 hours trying to reprogram my Harmony One, still many problems.

Tomorrow I'm gonna find my old pocketknife, and just whittle some ducks for a few months. I'm beat. :doh:

Back