• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Streaming - Roku XDS vs Wii

mzpro5

Famous
I have been using the Wii to stream Netflix but it only offers a 480p hookup so thought that the Roku XDS with HDMI and 1080p capabilities would look like. Several people asked for my impressions when the Roku arrived.

The Roku XDS came yesterday and I set it up this morning. The Roku was very easy to setup and connect to my wireless network. Interface is much better than the Wii and response/connection times are faster. I did an A/B comparison between the Wii and the Roku and a very noticeable positive difference in PQ. I have the HDMI connected right to the display ( the OL 990 doesn't have HDMI). Only sound right now is thru the TV speakers but am waiting delivery of a 12' optical cable to connect to the pre/pro. Plus unlike the Wii I can add the Roku to the Harmony One.

Only played with it for a half hour (damn work) or so but for $99 am very impressed

Thanks for the PQ comparison. Since almost every device under the sun is capable of Netflix streaming, it'd be great if a professional reviewer did a head-to-head comparison of the quality of all the interfaces, picture and sound.

It's a great easy to use alternative. Yes the HD quality isn't the greatest, but I seem to care less these days. I went from a 32" LCD using the composite input with that tv as I didn't have an extra hdmi handy. I liked that configuration over the current 42" with hdmi , far as PQ because it didn't show as many artifacts, just fuzzy SD quality. But I still choose the larger set. I was afraid of lag using higher PQ, but it was no different (wireless)

I have the last gen Roku unit, it's small,easy setup, wireless works wonderful, interface is great. I highly recommend them for those without Netflix streaming from any other device.

Well, my previous model Roku via HDMI doesn't look so hot, I've double checked the settings and they are correct. Maybe the newer ones are better in this regard, but my PS3 streams Netflix in DVD quality.

I'm interested in hearing others experiences with the newer Roku units via HDMI on a large screen. If the PQ is an upgrade perhaps the rents can have this one and I'll go with the newer model.

I have a Roku XDS connected to my 110" screen. The Netflix "HD" stuff is pretty impressive for a streaming source. I say that it is at least DVD quality. The SD stuff is noticeably softer but still very watchable, even at 110".

The optical cable to hook the Roku to my HT came Sat AM so I spent the better part of the weekend watching stuff via Netflix streaming. Got about half way thru all the Firefly episodes, My Name is Earl (never watched either) and several movies. According to my TV they are coming thru at 720P. PQ is DVD quality and the sound thru the optical is not full HD but pretty darn good. I will definitely be reducing the number of disks I have sent to the house with the streaming being so good.

mzpro5 said:
According to my TV they are coming thru at 720P. PQ is DVD quality and the sound thru the optical is not full HD but pretty darn good.

Assuming that you have the XD or XDS model of the Roku box you choose the output resolution upto 1080p.

So far Netflix streams on the Roku are all stereo. You can use PLII to simulate surround sound but "real" Dolby Digital would be an improvement. Has anyone heard that that Dolby surround audio may be coming to the Roku?

Towen7 said:
mzpro5 said:
According to my TV they are coming thru at 720P. PQ is DVD quality and the sound thru the optical is not full HD but pretty darn good.

Assuming that you have the XD or XDS model of the Roku box you choose the output resolution upto 1080p.

So far Netflix streams on the Roku are all stereo. You can use PLII to simulate surround sound but "real" Dolby Digital would be an improvement. Has anyone heard that that Dolby surround audio may be coming to the Roku?

I do have it set to 1080p but as far as I can see nothing so far comes across at more than 720p.

Yeah I know the sound is "fake 5.1" but it is much better than listening thru the TV speakers. :D

mzpro5 said:
I do have it set to 1080p but as far as I can see nothing so far comes across at more than 720p.

Weird. My TVs and PJ show a 1080p input when I'm using the Roku at that setting. Silly question... are you routing the video through a receiver that may be down-converting?

Towen7 said:
mzpro5 said:

Weird. My TVs and PJ show a 1080p input when I'm using the Roku at that setting. Silly question... are you routing the video through a receiver that may be down-converting?

No I have the HDMI going right to my TV. I'll check the settings on the TV, maybe something is set different there.

I stand corrected. Mine are outputting 720p and MY pre/pro is upscaling. According to Roku's site 1080p content is limited to what their partners distribute. Netflix is limiting to 720p which is a good decision considering the bandwidth that they require. I can see other distributors who sell content (like Amazon on Demand) deciding to use 1080p.

Towen7 said:
I stand corrected. Mine are outputting 720p and MY pre/pro is upscaling. According to Roku's site 1080p content is limited to what their partners distribute. Netflix is limiting to 720p which is a good decision considering the bandwidth that they require. I can see other distributors who sell content (like Amazon on Demand) deciding to use 1080p.

Thanks. Can't really complain about the 720p, pretty good picture, better than some supposedly HD programming on DTV.

Back