• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Streaming "The Force Awakens"

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
From what I see, Star Wars "The Force Awakens" is on Netflix but only in Canada. But I think I saw it will be avalible on Starz. I see that Starz now has a independent streaming app for $8.99 a month for all us cord cutters. I think for me I'll wait and see how well Starz grows. Starz does have some good recent movies though.
I got The Force Awakens in HDX on Vudu for $9.99 and it has a ton of extras.

I bought my HDX copy for Vudu and the picture and sound was fantastic. I bought my copy without the extras but found it ported over to iTunes with all the extras. So even though it's on Vudu and DMA without the extras for some reason it did port to iTunes with the extras. Nice surprise.

The Force Awakens was one of the best looking streamed movies I have ever seen. Even being 1080p Rec 702 with DD, it was fantastic. When your old TV starts to give up the ghost, you are going to have some amazing options. The new 2016 Vizio sets have fantastic specs and are absolutely ground breaking at their price point. We are talking under $3000 for a 75" UHD HDR set with full-array local dimming, Dolby Vision and HDR10.

Haywood said:
The Force Awakens was one of the best looking streamed movies I have ever seen. Even being 1080p Rec 702 with DD, it was fantastic. When your old TV starts to give up the ghost, you are going to have some amazing options. The new 2016 Vizio sets have fantastic specs and are absolutely ground breaking at their price point. We are talking under $3000 for a 75" UHD HDR set with full-array local dimming, Dolby Vision and HDR10.

It's absolutely stunning what is available at reasonable prices. It wasn't all that long ago my 57" 1080p Mitsubishi RPTV was something like $2500ish. Now you're talking stuff rather larger you can hang on the wall with better picture for less. Heck, anybody else remember when the new plasma HDTVs were $10,000?

We're getting spoiled where displays are concerned.

I bought the 2015 Sony flagship for $6000, which is pretty amazing when you look at past prices for flagship sets. The new Vizio models are not a match for the top offerings for Sony and Samsung, but they are less than half the money and still look fantastic.

I just can't see tossing out a barely used 58" Pioneer Elite whose picture is still fantastic. Sure it's not as crisp or as sharp as a 1080p running 120Hz but my now 15 year old TV looks more film like and at 1080i still looks stunning when running thru a DVDO scaler. Sure it's big and bulky but why spend 3k when what I have takes me 90% there.

You say that now, but wait until you see what HDR looks like. Rec 2020 color and contrast like you have never seen. It is absolutely stunning.

On the other hand, there is VERY little content at this point, so there is no compelling reason not to wait a couple more years. The only reason I jumped when I did was that my old TV was dying.

I'm waiting for OLED to drop further. I was at Best Buy last weekend and the 50" OLED that was 6,500 a year ago was 2,000 I figure two more years and I'll buy a 72" OLED for 1,500 for now I wait.

I wouldn't count LCD out yet. Sony has a new technology hitting the market in a year or two that amounts to FALD with over a thousand zones of local dimming. Even now, the high end FALD sets get almost twice as bright as the OLED sets. The OLED sets have slightly better blacks, but the overall contrast ratio is not better. I personally decided to go with the FALD set partly because LG just doesn't have the image processing chops. Their sets look fantastic with native 4K content, but do nowhere near as good a job upscaling as the Sony sets. It is not just limited to scaling either. My set uses very sophisticated processing to scrape every drop of contrast out of non-HDR content. Of all of the sets I researched, it had the best performance with 1080p content by a country mile. None of the OLED sets could touch it. Given the size of your library, I suspect you will continue to care about this for a very long time, as will I.

I figure I can wait a few years whatever I choose. Watched a few movies this weekend on my old Pioneer and the image is just as good as my LG 1080p LED. I mean it's just as good. The good thing about the Pioneer is it has awesome black levels (even better than my LED) and because the picture is all analog unlike my LED I don't get pixelation issues ever on my Pioneer. As mentioned it is more film like but since all I ever watch on my Pioneer is just movies I can still go a few more years. By then TV's are gonna be way cheaper.

With the 4K the pixels being smaller will help to remove the eye's ability to see the pesky little squares.

malsackj said:
With the 4K the pixels being smaller will help to remove the eye's ability to see the pesky little squares.

Seeing pixels is a complete non-issue, even at 75".

Back