• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sub placement question

mcad64

Would this be a terrible idea to put a sub in behind the AV unit I am having built. You can see the dimensions. It is a drop ceiling above.
Please discuss!! If bad idea ...end of discussion. If good idea I have to get a sub that would fit through pass through otherwise I would never get it in there after it is built, which is a 1 1/2 weeks. I did check the specs of an SVS water cooler!! It would fit through the passthrough!! :banana-dance:
I suspect this is probably a bad idea??!!

subplacement.jpg

Have you tested other placements & determined that this location is best from the standpoint of the sub's freq. response in the room? Or is it a matter of the room/furniture layout & space available?

Orbison said:
Have you tested other placements & determined that this location is best from the standpoint of the sub's freq. response in the room? Or is it a matter of the room/furniture layout & space available?

Never tried it there. I have tons of of space the room is about 28 by 30. Mostly a WAF thing!! Also, if truth be told, I am thinking about doing dual subs. If I could hide one back there.....well you get it!!

[quote="mcad64"Never tried it there. I have tons of of space the room is about 28 by 30. Mostly a WAF thing!! Also, if truth be told, I am thinking about doing dual subs. If I could hide one back there.....well you get it!![/quote]

Tell the wife they are end tables and put them out in the room where they sound best! Let her arrange the furniture around them!

(oh yeah, that'll work)

Is it a powered sub? If you can't get it in there after the AV unit is built, you can't get it out, and powered subs' amps can go TU after four years. I know this to be true.

Botch,
It will fit through the passthough!! Problem is , it really doesn't match the decor at all. Sounds lame , but for my wife that is kind of a big deal. So, I am debating either buying another, hiding this one behind the AV unit and get a black one to sit out in view. Or, step up and buy one large SVS. The room is about 5500 cubic feet. Probably my first step is to lug the existing sub in behind the AV unit (next week)to see what it sounds like, just for shyts and giggles!!

IMG_2201.JPG

Odd, when I uploaded the photo to Picassa web albums it lightened the photo. The walls are actually grey. I bought one box of black ceiling tiles to show my wife roughly what it would look like. She liked it, even with the white cross members!!

Another option is to get some fabric and sew a cover for the sub - that's what we did with our rosewood SVS.

psa001.jpg

CMonster said:
Another option is to get some fabric and sew a cover for the sub - that's what we did with our rosewood SVS.

psa001.jpg

So you just pull the cover off when you are using it??

Nope, just leave it on all the time. It's a thin, natural fabric and it helps that the SVS is down-firing. Since your sub is front-firing, I'd remove the grill so you don't have two layers covering the driver.

CMonster,
That's an ingenious idea!! I almost guarantee I could get a bigger sub or duals with that option!!! Oh baby!!
Mike
PS: Now , would it be rude for me to ask my wife to make the covers!!! :laughing-rolling:

mcad64 said:
...would it be rude for me to ask my wife to make the covers!!! :laughing-rolling:
No. But it would be rude if you didn't ask this forum's admin if he'd grace your presence with his surplus SVS PB-12 NSD/2 in exchange for a small amount of U.S currency. :eusa-whistle:

Zing said:
No. But it would be rude if you didn't ask this forum's admin if he'd grace your presence with his surplus SVS PB-12 NSD/2 in exchange for a small amount of U.S currency. :eusa-whistle:

Zing,
I appreciate the offer, but dealing with our international border is a pain in the ass!! Truth be told I am seriously conflicted. The problem is, my sub sounds fine to me! It's one of those things whereby until you hear a better one( in your listening environment) , you don't know how subpar(pun intended) yours is!! I don't know whether to get another Axiom EP 350 and run dual subs or get an SVS PB12-Plus or PB13-Ultra. The reason for the SVS over Power Sound Audio is that SVS has a Canadian distributor in Toronto. That's about 1.5 hrs from my place. No border hassles, no duty, no mystery brokerage fees. I believe Jeff Mackwood picked one up there??!!
Mike

For the record, I now currently own three SVS subs - one of which has a great pedigree: it used to be owned by Zing!

Yup, the culmination of my US road trip over the last couple of weeks was a visit to Zing and Babs. Zing had been having trouble finding anyone local to buy his now surplus SVS PB-12 NSD/2, and when we started to talk about his predicament, my wife and I both agreed to take it off his hands.

The only concern was being able to make enough room for it in our SUV - given that we were pretty loaded down to start with. Well we made it. How tight was it? We stopped at a grocery store to buy milk and eggs just before we got to our house, and the only place for the bag was on my wife's lap!

While I keep thinking about ways to incorporate it into one of my rooms (I think I can make space for it in my main HT - and yes that would be insane given the others subs that are already there), I will almost certainly sell it locally here in Ottawa, and have started to spread the word amongst my friends. If any members are interested in it, send me a PM. (I'm also prepared to bring it to Bats' GTG in June if someone local/driving wants to buy it.)

As for buying new SVS subs in Canada: Mike's right. The distributor is Sonic Boom Audio out of the Toronto area. When I bought my PB13 Ultra it was somewhat more expensive than if I'd done the same in the US. However shipping from Toronto to Ottawa was very reasonable, fast, and professional. In addition, when I bought a used SVS PC sub and it arrived with a dented top metal cover, broken base plate, and missing foam plugs, both SVS AND Sonic Boom Audio were very helpful in getting me the replacement parts.

Jeff

For the fun of it I used SVS's Merlin tool. I don't understand the point however, as I don't quite know what they are trying to match as far as my speakers and their subs go? Would it not be better if somewhere in the tool they could ask for size of room? I always thought that "matching" a speaker to a sub was not necessary!!
Anywho, first time I did it they did not have my PSB Platinum M2's on the list. For shyts and giggles I submitted my M2's to be added to their database. Tried Merlin and it suggested either the PB 12 Plus, PC 12-Plus, SB 13 ULtra.
I know Flint says get one really good sub rather than two inferior ones, but I am really thinking of getting two PB-2000's simply for the slightly smaller footprint. This process is going to drive me nuts!!!
Mike

DSCN1315.JPG

PS:Disregard the dimensions in the lower left corner...not sure what I was doing there?? Currently have one sub between the left main and centre channel. Suggestions for dual placement would be appreciated..or do i just try to slide one big honking single sub in to the mix? I couldn't really hide one Pb12 Plus..however I live by the old adage "It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission!!
PSS: If not obvious , screen is at the right of the photo!!

Mike,

Just want to thank you.

Up until now I had always thought of myself as the world's worst draftsman.

Kindest regards.

Jeff

Wiring and aesthetics are going to limit you to the front and left walls, right?

Towen7 said:
Wiring and aesthetics are going to limit you to the front and left walls, right?
Not necessarily. I have drop ceilings and you can do all sorts of crazy shyt with a drop ceiling. However, a couple of things will limit me. I need a nearby power source, correct? Dont want to have to wire in more plugs!! If i try to fish the sub cable down through walls, I better be sure that I put the sub in the right place. Dont want to be poking holes all over the place!! My wife already told me I cant just hide the cable down the wall in one of those raceways and paint it!! :D As far as aesthetics, I already have a sub at the front so that wouldn't be an issue, especially if I go black. My wife said she doesn't like the black sub upstairs but that is because it doesn't go with the decor. In the man cave the ceilings will be black , bar and a/v unit are dark brown /black and walls are grey. There is an issue with how large the sub can be if at the front. Too high between the mains and it would block part of the screen. I think I would like to give duals a try though!!

JeffMackwood said:
Mike,

Just want to thank you.

Up until now I had always thought of myself as the world's worst draftsman.

Kindest regards.

Jeff

Jeff,
I did that drawing with my toes,while I was washing the supper dishes!! :teasing-neener:

Back