• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

sub trap

milpool said:
Rope said:
Vinyl -

Your traps and treatments are just plain damn fine. Kudos to Vinyl and Super Chunks!

Rope

Word.

How does it sound?
I used to have lingering bass frequencies in the 75/80 Hz regions in the audio section which is in the opposite side of the room – the two absorbers flanking the monitor plus a much denser 2’x3’ on the floor behind the HT rack which you don’t see are specifically aimed at curbing these frequencies – all this plus the combined absorbers/diffusers on the front wall of the audio section has resolved this slight audiophool annoyance – also tucked away for audio only is a little 10” sub set at 40Hz augmenting the Maggie’s which play at full range this has also contributed to the final results – the overall sound is now clearer and more detailed – acoustic panels are winners and recommended.The opposite end of the room may help to comprehend the full scope of the space and treatment.

Attachments

• Maggie L 5°.JPG
    Maggie L 5°.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,404
  • Maggie R 5° .JPG
    Maggie R 5° .JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,404
I'm still curious about any benefir to treating wall/cieling corners that are 45 degrees.

Towen7 said:
I'm still curious about any benefir to treating wall/cieling corners that are 45 degrees.
You may need to read some articles on the subject – below is a simple quote from GIK plenty more articles available from all sellers of such.

“Is there something magical about corners? Yes, sort of. Low frequency pressure builds up wherever there is a boundary. Each room dimension has 2 boundaries which are generally parallel to each other. It's actually intuitive if you think about it. If you have pressure building along each wall and traveling to the outside ends, it stands to reason that it will pool in the corners since you're now where you're at 2 boundaries. When you place a panel at 45 degrees across a corner, you're getting the most 'bang for the buck"; you're producing the greatest attenuation using the least amount of space. This is because you're not only creating an air gap behind the absorber, but you're also at the ends of 2 or more of the room's dimensions. Efficient use of space is critical in small spaces where placement options can be limited."

Edit: Have you built any absorbers as of yet?

Vinyl said:
Towen7 said:
Edit: Have you built any absorbers as of yet?

If that was directed to me... Yes. I have an 8 foot tall x 4" thick trap from floor to ceiling on the front right corner. I have four 4" panels at the primary reflection points on the side walls (two on each side wall).

Towen7 ... Sorry I might have misunderstood your ‘benefits curiosity’ statement – are you planning on building more floor/ceiling traps – or are you wondering whether they are worth the extra build? – regardless your reflection builds are all good – unfortunately in my experience it’s not until you complete the four chunked corners that one truly appreciates the impact they can make – I’ve also seen situations where just the two chunked front corners made a big difference.

The front right corner is the only one I can treat. The front left is flanked by a door and both back corners are flanked by cabinets. So yeah... My question is whether there is any benefit to treating the ceiling-to-wall corners when that corner is 45 degrees.

I see now – you’re referring to a single absorber at the ceiling - similiar to photo.

If this is the case then you might want to play somewhat heavy bass content while taking readings with an SPL meter at the listening position - then move in on the proposed spot/corners with the meter still on - you may need to get up close to the ceiling for this – you should be able to see the difference in loudness on the meter – if the corner levels are ridiculously high compared to the sweet spot you have to decide if it’s worth a fix – if so use 6” thick or better and build as big as the area allows – I would build one as a trial run then measure see if it makes any difference – you may want to do this on all corners for they will all measure different – perhaps one or two at the loudest corners might be enough for you – this is a simple/crude method but it will give you some ideas as to how to proceed.

Attachments

• Ceiling Absorber .jpg
    Ceiling Absorber .jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,365
I'm not being clear. My ceiling/wall joints are not 90 degrees, they are 45s. Is there any benefit to treating 45 degree corners?

DateNight.jpg

Towen7 said:
I'm not being clear. My ceiling/wall joints are not 90 degrees, they are 45s. Is there any benefit to treating 45 degree corners?

DateNight.jpg

Yes, you will benefit from treating the upper most corners where the ceiling meets the 45 degree wall.

Here's a pic from Ethan Winer.
ceiling_traps.jpg

Rope

Certainly clearer now :mrgreen:

I would say yes – however I would post the photo over at Ethan’s site - let the experts chime in.

Nice room BTW.

90 degree or sharper corners are better for bass traps as the energy really multiplies in those corners. Even better is an open closet in the room with the door removed and filled with a bass absorbing material - known as a bass sump. A 135 degree corner (I assume that's what you mean by 45 degree corner) is better than a flat surface for absorbing bass in a room, but not as good as a 90 degree corner. However, any absorption is better than none.

malsackj said:
But Pauly has a wonderful pretty set of ladies that always keep him busy!

Who needs family when you've got a good sound system? I think Mr. T needs to get his priorities straight. Audio first. And if there's any time left over when daddy's done listening, the girls get a turn to listen too.

:idea:

Back