• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Subwoofer Driver Interchangeable?

Rope

Famous
Long story short, the plate amp on my beloved JBL PB12 went the way of the dodo bird. While in the process of replacing the amp, (New 300 watt BASH) I broke out the old SVS driver that was replaced with the new 12.3.

If I install the SVS driver will that have negative consequences?

Rope

It'll function. But a drivers characteristics need to work with the enclosure or it won't perform well and could sound bad.

Thanks, Flint.

I suspected the drver loading would be a problem, since the JBL enclosure is substancely smaller than the SVS, but was hoping to put the old SVS driver to work.

Rope

Sell them and build yourself a better one. DIY-ing will save you a good bit of $$.

Years ago when I upgraded my SVS ISD drivers to the newer NSD I thought what to do with the two drivers. Well I had an average DCM sub with only a 150 watt amp but had dual 12" drivers. So took out the DCM and put in the ISD drivers (it was a very tight fit) but have used this sub in my bedroom system for years and it sounds awesome. No distortion whatsoever. In fact at my last gtg years ago Jeff commented that the audio in my bedroom system sounded better than my main HT system. So it can work.

DIYer said:
Sell them and build yourself a better one. DIY-ing will save you a good bit of $$.

Absolutley -- do it. Subwoofers are considerably easier to build/design than a regular speaker.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

Rope said:
Long story short, the plate amp on my beloved JBL PB12 went the way of the dodo bird. While in the process of replacing the amp, (New 300 watt BASH) I broke out the old SVS driver that was replaced with the new 12.3.

If I install the SVS driver will that have negative consequences?

Rope

You're 2/3rd of the way to a full-on DIY. Knock 6 pieces of wood together and you are done.

I don't remember the bass boost/highpass characteristics of the 300w PE amp offhand though.

The smaller the room the better the above (usign JBL enclosure) will likely sound.

Tom V.

Thanks for the input, Tom.
Ended up using the JBL woofer with good results. The old SVS driver is back hibernation.

Rope

Back