• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Subwoofer Positioning material

Maximo

So I have about five locations my sub can go in my living room. What kind of audio material would be best for testing the placement?

What's your budget? For about $300, you can get RTA level 4, M-Audio mobile pre and Behringer ECM8000 plus microphone cable. Then you can use RTA to see how each location does.

You could always put your subwoofer at your listening position, crawl around the room on you hands and knees (barking like a dog (Optional)). All the while playing a low frequency sweep. When you arrive at a postion that sounds best, X marks the spot. Stop barking like a dog (if you chose that option) get off your knees and place the subwoofer on the X.

If you decide that's too much trouble, super chunk a corner, place the subwoofer in that corner.

Rope

My budget is zero. I only have 4-5 possibl locations. My intention was to drag it from spot to spot and see what sounds best. Just wondered if I should loop master and commander, listen to some music or what. I can bark like a dog while doing it. that is not an issue.

Do you own Godzilla? Its menu music is perfect for this. Plus, it's already looped.

If you're going to use your ears to determine the best spot, I'd suggest getting help. Sit in your listening position and have a friend move the sub around. I don't subscribe to the theory of crawling around while the sub is in the listening position unless your listening position is in a corner or up against a wall.

Your plan is very weak. You cannot just loop one BluRay score with the sub in each location and get an accurate understanding of how each location sounds different. First off, you absolutely MUST calibrate the sub after moving it because one location could be 6dB SPL louder than the previous dueto acoustics while performing much worse in terms of balance, decay, and standing waves. You could easily choose the worst location due to the higher SPL without realizing the bigger issues.

If you don't already own a calibration solution (TrueRTA, Mic, Preamp), then I would strongly encourage you to look into some sort of solution - even a cheap SPL meter from Radio Shack and some downloaded test tones is a better choice than relying on your ears.

- Take the time to calibrate the sub when you move it.
- Listen to it for a day with a long list of different music and movie content.
- Take copious notes on your experience in each location.
- Make a chart of the key audible characteristics of the sound: Tightness vs. Bloat; Balance; Realism; Blending in with the rest of the sound; Extension; Impact; Decay; etc.

Then choose the best two locations and compare them again using the same criteria.

This could take a few weeks to get absolutely right, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Another option is to buy TrueRTA level 4 ($99), a calibrated mic ($39), a preamp ($49), a cable ($10), and a mic stand ($20) and use them properly to know for sure which location is most ideal in a matter of one evening. Personally, I would place the sub in the listening location at ear level then move the mic around to the various placement locations and quickly get an idea of which is best.

Zing said:
I don't subscribe to the theory of crawling around while the sub is in the listening position
I doubt walking around will compromise the calibration process. :twocents-mytwocents:

Now that you (flint) have mentioned it. I totally forgot I have a Rabos cal disc and SPL meter I have never used...need to look for that...

I never could figure out how to get my sub in my "listening position"; that's an awfully heavy piece of gear to have suspended that high.

DIYer said:
Zing said:
I don't subscribe to the theory of crawling around while the sub is in the listening position
I doubt walking around will compromise the calibration process. :twocents-mytwocents:
I'm not talking level calibration, I'm talking response.

The sub could act dramatically different out in the open, at the listening position, than in a corner or up against a wall. When he crawls around the room trying to determine where it sounds best, he's basing that on the sub's location at that time. So when he moves the sub to where it sounded best and sits where the sub was, it's not guaranteed to sound the same.

Actually, Zing, you have it exactly backwards. In the listening position the sub acts just like your ears would. And in the placement position your ears act exactly as the sub will in that position. Basically, the crawling around approach perfectly mimmicks the real placement results - perfectly.

The only real issue is getting the big sub at ear level.

Fine, make fun of the stupid guy, that's why they make come-alongs and block and tackles. You can put that sub where ever you want it. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

I am not above putting my subing the listening postion. I will be doing it while the family if gone and the shades drawn. :oops:

Rope said:
Fine, make fun of the stupid guy, that's why they make come-alongs and block and tackles. You can put that sub where ever you want it. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Yeah! He can make use of that ceiling hook he uses for his pleasure swing! (May be weird to have it in the Living Room, but who are we to judge?) :teasing-tease:

Ok, in all honesty, I am going to be moving all of my furniture out of my living room to have the carpets cleaned. (darned pleasure swing).

So I can actually realistically do the subwoofer thing. My questions is, does furniture make that much difference in the base response? If nothing else I can move everything else, except my main seat (leather couch) back into the room and place the sub there. Pics tonight I swear.

Maximo said:
My questions is, does furniture make that much difference in the base response? If nothing else I can move everything else, except my main seat (leather couch) back into the room and place the sub there. Pics tonight I swear.

Great question. I imagine that if you can position the sub first and then arrange the furniture around it, that would be best. Good luck with the WAF score on that, though. :scared-yipes:

No, what I meant is that I can have the carpets cleaned, put back all of the furniture as it sits now, except for our main seating area (leather couch) and then setup the sub and do the hands on knees barking dog thing.

Whatever floats your boat, just post pics of the dog thing for our amazement & amusement! :teasing-neener:

Back