• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Subwoofer repair… Ouch!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
My Monitor Audio subwoofer started emanating a soft buzz a couple months ago, not obnoxious but objectionable, especially with softer volume levels. The shop just called, MA said they no longer have any amplifiers for that model, but the amp for their new sub is form/fit identical, and would work. $350 + installation, ouch!!!

My Yamaha stereo that I've owned since '79 never burned up anything other than meter bulbs in the Integrated Amp; I hope a sub amp failure after only four years is an outlier, and not a hint of things to come…. :(

$350+ to repair a 4 year old sub? I think it's time you consider a little Christmas shopping at PSA.

Zing said:
$350+ to repair a 4 year old sub? I think it's time you consider a little Christmas shopping at PSA.
^^
THIS!

Another option is what I did with my JBL PB12. Remove the old amplifier, plug the cut out with a wood of your choice, order a new plate amp with comprible wattage. Use the new plate amp as a pattern, make your cut out and install the new amp.

350 watt BASH should run around $128.00

Rope

DIYer said:
Yeah, Botch, do the DIY.

I had a fairly in depth conversation with Jeff Mac at Bat's GTG this past summer concerning DYI Subs (because I was considering this route). The conclusion was that with Power Sound Audio on the scene and other Internet Only Brands, their sound, designs and reasonable costs, why would you ever consider a DIY Sub, unless it was an Infinite Baffle.

This was our conclusion and may not be right for everyone.

I am very happy with my new sub from PSA.

:twocents-mytwocents:

So, is PSA short for Power Sound Audio?

They must be the new SVS or HSu.

The prices look good, how do they sound?

Yes, PSA = Power Sound Audio. Tom Vodhanel (the V in SVS) and Jim Farina (also from SVS) are the company's co-founders. They strive to be Made in USA as much as possible and customer service is top-notch. I have three XV15s, Heeman has an XS30, and Zing has dual XS30s.

Hope you COVID-era AA folks still have your masks on, this is a bit of a "dusty" thread...
And I also realize I never finished this thread off.

I did have this sub repaired, with a new amp, can't remember what I paid to have it done. It's not a stunning sub, spec-wise (it doesn't go too low) but I'm not a movie buff, and its just fine for music; been happy again with it since 2013.
This past summer we had a freak windstorm, 3 days long, tipped two of my trees and lost power for 2.5 days (think I posted separately about that) and Rocky Mtn Power restored power without repairing my overhead power line, burned down a juniper and scared the f*ck out of me.

Next day, power safely restored, my sub now had a slight "ticking" sound, about 3 Hz, quiet but unacceptable. I jiggled a few things, and finally powered the sub off. Kinda forgot about it for awhile. Tonight, I powered it back on, ticking was still there, but after about 10 minutes the ticking stopped. Couldn't hear any sound coming out of the woofer, but Antiques Road Show is on now, I'll check again tomorrow.

Sure wish things Just Worked... :(

Sorry... hope you can get it working. If not, well ... subwoofer shopping isn't the worst thing in the world. We'll help of course. ;)

On another note about plate amplifiers and DSP. Some of these in the past have some DSP processing to allow for good control and good sound. Removing the old amp and putting another in its place would not allow for the DSP processing. However the Part-express DSP is not very much these days and would allow the DIY and the fun of changing the DSP processing to also include the room and personal taste.

Good luck with the decision and hope you have good fun with the music.

Ticking is still gone, and the sub is working. I'm gonna chalk it up to the power line to my house getting powered back up, still on the ground, and welding a 30' stretch of sand into glass; that mighta been why my TV was acting up, too.

(reluctantly removes "C" Series 55" LG OLED from Crutchfield cart...)

do a good inspection on your house ground wire. I had one snapped off from old age and paid electrician to put in a new larger wire.

We had lightining strike next door that melted the ground and the unit that powered the electric fence around the garden. I'd never seen a fuse that black before. We have a surge surpressor just before the electric meter and I use isobar products around the house for sensitive equipment.

Last edited:
They're a consumable item, but you don't know it until the rabbits starting destroying the parsley.

Life in the SE

Last edited:
Back