• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Suh-weet!!!!

Maximo

I just scored 4 used paradigm AMS 100's on ebay for $122.50. My local dealer quoted me $300 a pair plus tax for new. I am happy!!!!

Congrats!

About a decade ago I found a pair of AMS 250s at a pawn shop. I didn;t need in-walls so I sold them for a rather tidy profit.

Whathagunna do with them?

Max, you are the king of buying shit you don't need because it's for a good price! Well, you and MattB... Congrats, at least these actually do seem like they'll be put to good use. :D

Matt's the king of buying shit he doesn't need. My kingdom consists of overly wrought super complex ideas that never seen full fruitiion (anyone remember the project/ceiling fan combo?)

Anyway, this was a targeted move. When the wife said I could have my tv where I wanted it I could finally have a properly setup surround system. and in ceiling speakers would be the only way. Now I just need to sell my paradigm cinemas to pay for either a new pair of monitor 7's or some other sweet buy, like a used pair of studio 40's with stands on ebay. ;)

So I have a question. I am going install these in an open attic and was wondering if the onstruction of backboxes were in order.

Without backboxes you have an infinite baffle speaker but these are designed to work that way. just be sure to keep the cones free from contacting any insulation and you should be okay. You'll likely need just a little more power than a sealed speaker but not so much to require anything other than managing the output levels on your receiver.

Maximo, congrats from another buyer of shit he doesnt need, but wtf a good deal is a good deal, am I wrong?

No I actually was in the market for a set of four in-ceiling surrounds. Trying no to be that guy.

I am completely re-doing my HT and wanted paradigm speakers for every thing. Need to unload my Cinemas though.

Ok so Paradigm responded with specs for the back box.

they said .42cuft Or 12L of internal volume. I guess what I will do it make two back boxes and since I have nothing better to do I will A/B the back surrounds and the side surrounds in stereo materal and see if I can tell a difference.

Also, anyone have any hard and fast guidance as to the exact positioning of my new surrounds? I am hoping to post some pics tonight of my LR so we can figure this out.

Ok, so which road should I take here? Should I go with Towen37's advice? Or with the fact that there is actually a backbox spec and build some back boxes. BTW, I forgot to say happy birthday shithead. So happy birthday hope you lasted through more than one Lionel Richie song. ;)

Anyway, if I build the back back, do I 1: build a cabinet with no face and glue it to the back side of the ceiling (in the attic, I have access) or 2: do I build a full cabinet and just clamp the speak to a super think face of ceiling drywall and cabinet face? Does that make sense? Because the speakers can take the extra depth.

My carpentry skills are more than adequate and I am super geeked about the idea of building and veneering a pair of cabinets. What do I have to lose? time, which is in short supply, so I want to make the right decision on all fronts.

Speaking of carpentry skills. Flint has got me thinking about those lokis. Wondering if I would build a small tower for them...

Maximo said:
Matt's the king of buying shit he doesn't need. My kingdom consists of overly wrought super complex ideas that never seen full fruitiion (anyone remember the project/ceiling fan combo?)

Anyway, this was a targeted move. When the wife said I could have my tv where I wanted it I could finally have a properly setup surround system. and in ceiling speakers would be the only way. Now I just need to sell my paradigm cinemas to pay for either a new pair of monitor 7's or some other sweet buy, like a used pair of studio 40's with stands on ebay. ;)

Wait.... what??

D

Oh that. I like having sex, so I tend to check with the wife before I do something that may disrupt our marital harmony.

Edit: I would also like to expound on the fact that I like pussy way more than speakers. So theres that.

Maximo said:
Oh that. I like having sex, so I tend to check with the wife before I do something that may disrupt ur marital harmony.

Sometimes typos can be pretty funny.

John

Back