• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Super Chuck Corner Wedge

milpool

So Mrs. Milpool gave me the okay to build some sub traps. I want to build 2 or 3 corner wedges. I like the DIY designs that stack triangles of OC 703, and frame the front. Who is the best supplier for cases of 2" panels? I see lots of $80-$100 internet options. Anyone I should stay away from? Please feel free to share any ideas or experiences on sub traps here!

Shipping of this stuff gets expensive fast. Try calling local Air Conditioning contractors to see if they can supply it for you. You can also contact Owens and/or Johns Manville for a list of local distributors. That's what I did.

Guys, I am not sure if EPS Foam at what density is a good product for these types of Traps and/or panels, however we have the capability to buy EPS Foam blocks in Bulk and have a CNC Foam cutting machine.

Let me know if we can help with these products or if any of you guys want to develop/market and sell.

We have the capacity and equipment. :text-threadjacked: :text-imsorry:

My understanding is that EPS foam is best used in diffusors. An example is the Auralex Metrofusors which are made from EPS.

:text-link:

heeman said:
Guys, I am not sure if EPS Foam at what density is a good product for these types of Traps and/or panels, however we have the capability to buy EPS Foam blocks in Bulk and have a CNC Foam cutting machine.

Let me know if we can help with these products or if any of you guys want to develop/market and sell.

EPS is not a bass absorber and is completely useless as a bass trap. You need an open cell material which absorbs sound, like fiberglass, mineral wool, cotton, cellulose, etc.

heeman said:

DAMMIT, where were you when I ordered my cave materials?!?!?! :happy-smileygiantred:

Towen7 said:
Shipping of this stuff gets expensive fast. Try calling local Air Conditioning contractors to see if they can supply it for you. You can also contact Owens and/or Johns Manville for a list of local distributors. That's what I did.

I've been noticing the shipping charges. I like your idea, thanks. Also, $69.99 is the best I've seen so far. Does anyone have any preference working with the 2" versus the 4"? I like the idea of fewer cuts, but not if they are harder to work with. And what works best to cut them with? This is probably all over in the DIY threads on the S&V forums, isn't it?

You can cut 703 easily with a sharp knife, just do it outside to avoid the dust.

milpool said:
Towen7 said:

I've been noticing the shipping charges. I like your idea, thanks. Also, $69.99 is the best I've seen so far. Does anyone have any preference working with the 2" versus the 4"? I like the idea of fewer cuts, but not if they are harder to work with. And what works best to cut them with? This is probably all over in the DIY threads on the S&V forums, isn't it?

It's often called "ductboard" by the A/C guys. If they tell you they don't know what you're talking about, ask for duct board. It doesn't matter if the stuff they have is faced with foil. It pulls right off.

Approx how many 2x4 (2" thick) pieces will $70 get someone? Or did I miss a post?

^ thanks Towen, I missed the link Zing put up :text-imnewhere:

Look through your local yellow pages for an insulation contractors supply warehouse. You'll find you can purchase OC703, 4'x8'x2", for $12.00 a bat. Better yet, if you know a general contractor, or an insulation contractor, ask them where they purchase their insulation.

If you can find OC705, better yet, but difficult to obtain.

Rope

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I. When I called around, no one had any and I was told by a distributor in the area that the 703 is a specialty item (expensive) and is not used in this area.

I got my OC 703 from Specialty Products and Insulation. Here's a list of their locations:

http://www.spi-co.com/directory.html

You'll notice that only some stores on the list are noted as selling insulation. I'm not sure I'd pay too much attention to this, as the store I bough mine at does not have the insulation designation next to it. Also, I'd imagine that they'd be able to ship the 703 from one warehouse to another.

When cutting thicker pieces you might want to consider the samurai sword!

or a good butcher knife.

Back