• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Surround speaker placement

bmwuk

Due to limitations with the placement of the studs behind the wall, I had to put the side speakers a bit back as well as the surround backs a bit wide. The question now is this too wide and back for the speakers? Are they too close that the discreet channels kind of blend.

Forgive the mess and the hanging wires for my room is slowly a work in progress

rps20180404_095240.jpg

Due to limitations with the placement of the studs behind the wall, I had to put the side speakers a bit back as well as the surround backs a bit wide. The question now is this too wide and back for the speakers? Are they too close that the discreet channels kind of blend.

Forgive the mess and the hanging wires for my room is slowly a work in progress

View attachment 7632

Looks great!
And I don’t expect you’ll have any real performance issues.

Looks great!
And I don’t expect you’ll have any real performance issues.
Thanks. Will look a lot better when I fix the poorly hung curtain along with readjust the 4 floating shelves and get the wires in wall.

I don't get much time for home projects with a baby in the house and just doing the stuff bit by bit including acoustics

Bump. I moved my right and left surrounds forward because...well...I just wasn't feeling the surrounds and the total setup. So I moved my seating slightly forward so I could move the speakers to the next stud on the wall

Now the right and left surrounds are at 90 degrees or no more than 95 degrees back. I ran the calibration again via YPAO mic and after making some minor tweaks, threw on IT. The reason I chose that movie is at the very beginning with the WB logo and New Line logo, the kids are singing the creepy song and it is panning. The surround backs seem to dedicate themselves to the thunderstorm on the mix but I never got that very distinct separation from surrounds and back surrounds. To the point that it was 10x creepier watching the first several minutes than ever before. I'm in love with the change. Now time to spackle the holes on the wall

Hard to tell but these are them moved approximately 16" forward and now at 90 degrees

rps20180409_101057.jpg

Back