• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Surrounds height and placement

bmwuk

I have two Paradigm Mini Monitors I'm mounting to the wall using Wali brackets. My room seating situation puts me at 5 1/2' from either side of the walls.

The speakers measure 8" W x 11" D x 13" H and the bracket can tilt 7.5 degrees. How high and far back will I want the speakers in 5.1? Now keep in mind I may want to go 7.1 eventually. I feel like 2' above ear level (66") seems high with the side walls relatively close.

Advice on height of speakers ( midrange or tweeter height) and how far back? Thanks in advance

EFC9020B-00E8-4E49-B823-DB0C0B909FD8.jpeg The Left and Right surround position is the same for either for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. With a 7.1 setup there rear surrounds go behind the listening position.

http://www.thx.com/faq/#buying-setup-guides

Left Surround and Right Surround Speakers (Ls & Rs): Place the Ls & Rs speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener.

Last edited:
So the distance to the wall is 66" (or 5.5'). The angles from seated position would be 90 degrees, 20 degrees (110 less 90) and by difference 70 degrees. So to put in terms of angles, A = 20, B = 90 and C = 70

a = unknown that I want
b = unknown but don't care
c = 66" or 5.5' (me to wall at 90 degree angle)

So following that, I thought my math would serve me well by doing the a/sinA=b/sinB=c/sinC

That said, I would do a/sin(20) = 5.5'/sin(70)
or
a = sin(20) x 5.5' / sin(70)

a = .54' or 6.48"

Am I right on this calculation? If I did get this right I feel like Will Ferrell in old school after rattling off the debate answer.

What I was calculating is the furthest back along the wall I could go.

That said is it 5.5 ft height from floor the mid, tweeter or bottom of speaker.?

I would use 90° from the front of the seat back as a starting point a foot or two above the listeners head. Aim the front of the speakers towards the ears of a person seated at the end of the seating. If there’s anything you don’t like about that setup, I’d deviate towards the rear of the room 6-12” at a time. You can adjust for any changes during the room calibration. Many of us have had to deviate from the “ideal” for a bunch of different reasons. I have two rows of seats so I pushed them back to almost the same spot in relation to the second row and since the second row is 6.25” higher than the first row, all my surrounds are 3-4’ above the front row.

I agree.
IMHO the left and right positioning should start slightly behind the ear position and never forward.

The below is my layout before I got rid of the couch. So now I'll have the rears more forward and on the wall. There isn't any 2nd row or anything fancy and the chairs have been moved forward, 12' from the front wall. The studs are basically right at 90 degrees or about 4" back on the other wall so approx 100 degrees. If not there then I'd have to go back another 16" or so. I can move my chair up slightly as well. Thoughts?

rps20170815_104622.jpg

Just as long as the surrounds are not in front of your head, almost anything works. My side surrounds are place at about 100 degrees.

Due to distance of stud placement in walls and seating position, it looks like I'm going to have to take it 16" back from the 90 degree spot unfortunately. The spacing of studs on these side walls is nutty. Any issues or just flipping enjoy it?

Do it and set your distance and levels properly on your AVR, you’re good to go!

Due to distance of stud placement in walls and seating position, it looks like I'm going to have to take it 16" back from the 90 degree spot unfortunately. The spacing of studs on these side walls is nutty. Any issues or just flipping enjoy it?
Depending on size and weight and how involved you want to get with the install, but like @Towen7 said maybe just mount them calibrate and enjoy

If I’m honest I don’t think the placement is critical as long as they’re behind and above the listening position. My HT has two rows and a window right in the ideal location for the surround Friday r the front row. So I had to compromise and put them a little farthwr back that the ideal for the front row and right at 90* for the back row. I don’t think moving them would benefit me even a little.

One of them are up. Took a broken drill bit and much frustration then ignored the drill bit recommendation because it was too flipping small with the screws provided. My drill did not like that. The next will take a few minutes to put up. Generally how it works.

I kind of like the set back since I'm so close to the walls and the speakers are pretty deep. The mid winds up being higher than 2' above ear level. We shall see otherwise I'll lower them later if needed

I bet you’ll be fine. I decided to place my surrounds high enough that I can walk under them without having to duck. I don’t feel like measuring but I’m guessing ther bottom of the speaker is a little over 30” higher than ear position.

Well I decided to hang the other one last night and put on a movie for a few minutes before bed. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll give it some more time and I am looking forward to hanging the panel on my right wall to help cleanup some of the sound. I will probably play a bit with the angle horizontally

Back