• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tenet

bmwuk

I watched the new Star Wars in IMAX and as in the past Christopher Nolan dropped a 10 minute or so clip of his upcoming movie Tenet. Dude now I want to see it. Wow.

Last edited:
I saw the 2+ minute trailer that was released yesterday, and I'm already in.
I'm watching Star Wars tomorrow morning, not in IMAX though. Hope the trailer is included in that showing.

I saw the 2+ minute trailer that was released yesterday, and I'm already in.
I'm watching Star Wars tomorrow morning, not in IMAX though. Hope the trailer is included in that showing.
I hadn't seen the trailer since it dropped the same day. I just know when I saw his syncopy logo I knew it was a new film. The clip is cool.

i hated that i saw it.

now i have to see it. not in 6 months.

now.

shoot. like seeing inception for the first time for the first time after the first time would it be the second time?

*spinning top*

My sons and I saw it on release day months ago. I have to see it again, which I’m sad to say, I’m in no hurry to do. Maybe it was just the theater experience at my hometown, but I was disappointed. I thought some sound editing decisions left a lot to be desired and throughout the film, either the score or sound effects, or both drowned out the dialogue. Beyond that, what I was able to follow didn’t really keep me engaged. My sons liked it so I’m sure I’ll see it again sooner than intended and maybe my opinion will change.

My sons and I saw it on release day months ago. I have to see it again, which I’m sad to say, I’m in no hurry to do. Maybe it was just the theater experience at my hometown, but I was disappointed. I thought some sound editing decisions left a lot to be desired and throughout the film, either the score or sound effects, or both drowned out the dialogue. Beyond that, what I was able to follow didn’t really keep me engaged. My sons liked it so I’m sure I’ll see it again sooner than intended and maybe my opinion will change.

Maybe the BluRay soundtrack was tweaked a little (I have heard similar complaints about dialogue clarity in Tenet and other Nolan movies). It did not seem too bad at home. I plan to re-watch at some point just take it in again aesthetically and cinematically without having to follow along with all the wacky time twists which while fun can distract from the visuals and general experience IMO. In other words I have yet to form a concrete opinion. Although I do see how this film may not have been received the strongest reviews. Rotton Tomatoes reviews are pretty evenly split between "confusing/pretentious" and "complex/groundbreaking". I think the most accurate review is probably this one...

If you stick it out to the end, you'll either hate it or feel you need to watch it again.

...which is about where I am right now. I feel like I need to watch it again to decide if or how much I like it.

Maybe the BluRay soundtrack was tweaked a little (I have heard similar complaints about dialogue clarity in Tenet and other Nolan movies). It did not seem too bad at home. I plan to re-watch at some point just take it in again aesthetically and cinematically without having to follow along with all the wacky time twists which while fun can distract from the visuals and general experience IMO. In other words I have yet to form a concrete opinion. Although I do see how this film may not have been received the strongest reviews. Rotton Tomatoes reviews are pretty evenly split between "confusing/pretentious" and "complex/groundbreaking". I think the most accurate review is probably this one...

...which is about where I am right now. I feel like I need to watch it again to decide if or how much I like it.
I may come around after another view or two. Believe it or not, I was underwhelmed after my first view of The Dark Knight. Now I see it as a masterpiece. No doubt with Tenet, there’s ALOT to unwrap and put in place. It was just an exhausting first viewing experience. And generally speaking I want my movie experiences to be challenging but in all the best ways.

sometimes, it does the complete opposite. in my case, i LOVED inception. i loved its delivery, its build up, the magic between chapters.

the only thing is, i HATED the castle storm chapter. i really think it kinda was the climax of the story, but also its downfall.

i loved the ending, how nolan always makes you think and rethink about things.

to this day i still have conversations about the prestige movie.

I may come around after another view or two. Believe it or not, I was underwhelmed after my first view of The Dark Knight. Now I see it as a masterpiece. No doubt with Tenet, there’s ALOT to unwrap and put in place. It was just an exhausting first viewing experience. And generally speaking I want my movie experiences to be challenging but in all the best ways.

So I went back and re-watched a few scenes from the Tenet BluRay today. And I did some reading online there is a lot of stuff addressing Nolan's "unintelligible dialogue" in several of his movies. He has responded to the criticism (easy to Google these comments) in summary by basically saying that he wants viewers to experience the whole movie, effects, music, etc. And I believe he also wants the viewer to have to pay close attention... watching one of his movies is serious business. At least that is what I gleamed from his comments about the subject when he was presented with it. I get it. I am a huge fan of immersive surround sound. I think it's safe to say that every AV enthusiast on this forum probably is as well. And I get it that directors and artists will often deliberately manipulate their creations to effect the viewing or listening experience. Nolan wants us to pay attention so he pushes the dialogue deeper into the overall soundtrack mix. Gaspar Noe wants us to feel uneasy so he manipulates camera movement, dizzying and/or nauseating pans and edits and he incorporates unnerving deep bass tones. Godflesh does the same with deep inaudible but physical bass tones in their music. But they don't always do it. These kinds of deliberate audience manipulations can IMO be creative and impactful and have their place. But after experiencing this dialogue effect by Nolan in several movies I am beginning to feel like it is becoming more of a predictable gimmick then a signature style. It seems like everyone is wearing some kind of mask, muttering or whispering a good amount of the time. Just my $.02 opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like his movies. In fact the more I reflect upon Tenet the more I think I will end up liking it. It may appear a little messy and confusing at first. But even with just a short review of a few scenes today I am starting to appreciate how much thought and attention to detail went into the bidirectional timelines and events of the film. It might just be brilliant time travel sci-fi. I'll finish that thought after I get a chance to watch it in full a second time.

Possible mild spoilers...

OK so I have now watched this movie two and a half times this week. Twice in full and once reviewing a few key scenes. The dialogue is definitely as previously described which is often muddy and usually pushed way back in the mix. Even at reference level it will require careful attention which admittedly can be tedious at times especially while following along with a fairly complex series of events. Of course this got a lot easier the second time through and I actually enjoyed it much more the second time. But ignoring this audio issue and whatever anyone may think about how it impacts their movie watching experience... I have decided that I do like Tenet as a fairly innovative entry into to time travel sci-fi genre. It's far from perfect audio aside. For example Kenneth Branaugh's Russian accent is brutal. But I did enjoy unraveling the puzzle with all the shifting and colliding time travel events and timelines. And some of the action sequences are great especially when you realize what you are seeing is happening between two people who may be traveling of different directions in time. And many scenes are depicted multiple times from different character perspectives or even from the same character experiencing the same event while traveling forward vs backwards in time. Kinda cool and I did enjoy it.

I watched it the other night. Enjoyed it. IMO it wasn't nearly excellent as Inception or Memento, but it was pretty good.
I'm pretty sure most of us have high expectations of Nolan and this falls short of those...
But I also agree, knowing what I know after watching it going forward, when I watch it going backward and know more...I'll like it more.

Back