• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Abyss Blu-Ray

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
I just thought about this movie and what I foundout was this movie is'nt on a bluray. Folks hate the DVD....4:3 only, is that true? Loved this movie & its been forever since I saw it.

For some reason this is one of my 'must watch' movies. Whenever I am thumbing through the channels and come across it I have to watch it. Don't know why but it just captures me for some reason.

Yeah, Deacon....me too. I can't believe it was out in 1989. Its been a long time. Not sure if I want to buy a DVD...may just keep an eye out for one.

Ha, actually I own this DVD. But I haven't watched it in YEARS... may have to give it a go.

I can't count how many times I have seen this movie, although it's been awhile since my last viewing. I do a search every now and then to see if they have released it on bluray as well. Hopefully soon!

They may as well save it for a 4k BD release at this point.

The DVD is letterbox...even the special edition, from what I'm finding.

Yeah. Mine says "special edition" and "full screen edition" - so it plays in widescreen, but it's clearly just been stretched, as everything is too wide. It only looks right when I set my TV to 4:3 mode.

Barney, you got my hopes up then BASHED them with a hammer. A few years ago I traded in my Collector's Edition DVD of The Abyss to BB for the $5 promotion. I remember thinking that surely this one HAD to be on blu-ray. A few months later I started looking for it and found multiple discussions about it and that it was undoubtedly coming soon to BD. A long time later I wanted to watch the movie and found out that you can't stream it (through normal, legal, means) and it still wasn't on BD.

Finally, about a month ago I was in FYE where they were having their buy 1 used get 1 for a $1 sale and I bought a copy of The Abyss for $1 (along with another used movie for $7). I finally got to watch it again and Matthew got to see it. We really enjoyed it but I kept thinking "I wish this was HD. You know THAT would look cool!!"

The bottom line is that I don't think this will ever move to BD. Apparently the studio doesn't think it will pay for itself. They may be right.

John

Tease...........

16445_large.jpg

There are many movies not released on Bluray that are available in HDX on Vudu. Take "True Lies" for instance that still isn't on Bluray but has been available for two years now on Vudu. What's even stranger is "The Abyss" is NOT available in HDX even on Vudu. Not sure why when you can buy almost every James Cameron movie on Bluray except that one.

Just did a search and it turns out the HD transfers for both True Lies and The Abyss were done years ago and Cameron wants it to be released but the studio Fox is the holdout as everyone thinks since it was Cameron's least successful movie that there wouldn't be much interest in a HD version. This seems like bullshit to me as the HD work has already been done and all Fox would need to do is just release the HD file to Vudu, Flixtser and CinemaNow and it would cost them no money. There is no production cost for physical disc, no production of sleeves, cases or storage and transportation all it would be is pure profit for them to release the digital copy rights of the movie for digital sales.

I recall when I got True Lies in HDX and how much better it looked very surprised when studios can't see the big picture and how cheap it would be to release the digital rights and just sell a non physical format when the work has already been done.

Not to toot my own horn, but on the special edition (with the extra tsunami footage) take a look at the "additional music composition" credit in the end credits.....that's me.

^
You can toot your horn all you want....but I don't think I'll buy a 4:3 copy just so I can say "That engineer sells his peepee for big bucks".

Good thing I've still got my 1993, Special Widescreen, 171 minute, digital sound (Dolby Surround) LaserDisc box set! Three 12" discs (movie on four CLV sides; extra features on two CAV sides) and a great full-size fold-open booklet detailing the restoration by James Cameron. HMMM... just might have a watch tonight. :)

Just watched it.

Didn't take a measurement or anything, but I'm pretty sure it was 2.35 : 1.

Jeff

Jeff I have that laser disc as well and treasure it... along with my original cut of Star Wars trilogy before the silly little edits from Lucas. And my ET laser disc without the police guns getting replaced with CGI walkie talkies. Groan.

:happy:
Well my friends, not only is The Abyss coming out on bluray but also 4K UHD and maybe 3D in 2017. I'm on my phone so no links.... avs has a thread about it. This movie & alot of others they have been holding back.
I want to live to see this....

Back