• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The change

goaliechris

Hi all,

Because of space limitations in the new home I have to go from a Sony VPL-VW50 and a Stewart Firehawk 110" screen to an on-wall TV. So, yeah, not excited about it but has to happen (not only because of fit but because of light in the walk-out basement). Looking for a 55-60" LCD TV.

So, I don't know where to start. I have a 55" Samsung LCD (series 750) in the family room which I REALLY like. Since I bought that there are LED LCD TVs, with or without 3D technology, etc. I don't think I care about 3D and I think it may be a fad but not sure it will be an option to get a great TV eventually without it.

Budget is flexilbe to a point - would like to stay below $4k. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
gc

If you read my thread you would see that I actually liked the Samsung I had (C6900) except for the "soap opera effect" which I eventually discovered you could adjust it.

I think the 6900/6800 (same set, labeled 6800 to most retailers and 6900 as a best buy exclusive) is the best non 3-D LED-LCD set avail. Plenty of picture tweaking adjustments avail in the advanced picture setup menu for you to get lost in, almost too many.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+5 ... &cp=1&lp=1

The 240hz 3-D version is on sale for $2899, and would be my choice if Plasma is not an option.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+5 ... _desc=null

If you can do plasma, I picked up this 58" VT25 for $2899:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+- ... &cp=1&lp=1

The website still shows $3399, but they are showing the lower price in store.

I looked at several Sony's and quite honestly I didn't feel that it was worth the additional 4-600 bucks to keep brand loyalty.

D

Good stuff - thanks. I agree about Sony - I have the projector and I liked the first-ish generation LCD that I had. However, before the Samsung I returned 2 Sony's due to numerous issues. I have had good experiences with Samsung and LG.

Probably head out to do some shopping soon and will let you know which way i go and give a review.

Thanks!

The picture quality on the Panasonic is just phenomenal, I can't put it into words but I an highly recommending this set.

Mine is being replaced Saturday due to a buzzing sound, but other than that I cannot say a bad word about it.

I would compare anything else you are considering to it.

Please note though that if you see it on display in the store they have it set on ultra torch mode, the thing is too bright and colors are WAY over-saturated. The picture on the display I have at home is NOTHING like the store. It has a THX mode that is about as close to ISF as you can get without entering the service menu.

Don't be fooled though, even if you can manage to put the set in THX mode in the store, it's still running in "store demo" mode. It will look better in your place.

When viewing the LED-LCD's in store, try to pay attention to any shots that pan up/down. Even with a 240hz refresh rate when I saw scenes with this motion it looked odd to me, unnatural. On the Spears and Munsel calibration disc there is a shot where they pan from the top of a church spire all the way down to the church itself. The stonework in the church almost becomes cartoon-like when the pan begins and the odd effect goes away when the camera finally settles to a steady view of the building. Side to side scrolling/panning looked fairly natural and was not distracting.

D

Just got moved in last weekend and have been looking around a little at a couple of big box stores. And, I just can't decide. I really like the Samsung 55" 800 series but not sure I am a fan of the aluminum bezel. I really liked the Panasonic plasma, the 58" Viera but the room I am putting it in has a lot of windows. So, I am a little up in the air.

Honestly, this whole 3D thing is driving me nuts . So I have a Integra DTC-9.8 which I do not think will pass a 3D signal from a 3D player so I have to go HDMI directly from a 3D player (which is another thing I am trying to decide on). What that means, I think, is that the audio will have to be passed via optical cable and therefore I would lose the new sound formats? So, a new preamp? I haven't even started looking at the new ones there - I have no idea what is out there anymore as I have had my Integra for 4 years or so.

So, this 3D thing has me considering the downstream effects of buying a 3D capable TV. It could mean a while lot of shoppin' goin' on...

Or I could just choose to ignore it and get the best possible 2D picture I can and never try the 3D thing.

have you sat and watched the 3D for a while? Do you really actually like it? Or or you thinking about buying it because it's the "next thing"?

Personally, I have sat and watched it at a couple of places now and I really dislike it. I find it distracting and it degrades the picture quality in many ways. I find it something they have "figured out" that they can do ..... so they did it. Not that it's an improvement in ANY way. I think it's just a novelty and looks terrible. It won't be in my house for a long time.

And regarding your TV, well, it would take a LOT of light in my room to get me to veer away from a good plasma.

I agree with you. I do think it is a fad and will start to disappear. If not, then I can jump on the bandwagon later.

Yep, the plasma has me thinking. Right now looking at the Samsung UN55C800 LED and the Panasonic 58" Viera plasma. However, reading Doghart's experience with that exact same two sets, I am leaning towards the Sammie.

I just went out with a friend the other day. We were intent on future proof since his current tv is 27" tube from 1992. I love the Panasonic brand, and those VT25's are beautiful. It was out target, that or the S2 Panny.

But I have to say, and anyone who knows me will attest, I was never a fan of Samsung. I was very impressed with their flagship plasma compared with the Panasonic and it was $1k less. The menu's have even improved (a previous dislike with Samsung) I could not find a reason to suggest he buy the Panasonic over the Samsung except I think Panasonic may be slightly better in the reliability realm.....but that is mostly my opinion based on personal experience. I even liked the Samsung bezel better.

HH Gregg my friend, I'm finding they have excellent deals on TV's and slightly better sales staff due to being commission based pay. To me that usually means at least some product training. My few experiences so far there have been positive and the sales staff knowledgeable and not pushy.

-B- said:
I just went out with a friend the other day. We were intent on future proof since his current tv is 27" tube from 1992. I love the Panasonic brand, and those VT25's are beautiful. It was out target, that or the S2 Panny.

But I have to say, and anyone who knows me will attest, I was never a fan of Samsung. I was very impressed with their flagship plasma compared with the Panasonic and it was $1k less. The menu's have even improved (a previous dislike with Samsung) I could not find a reason to suggest he buy the Panasonic over the Samsung except I think Panasonic may be slightly better in the reliability realm.....but that is mostly my opinion based on personal experience. I even liked the Samsung bezel better.

HH Gregg my friend, I'm finding they have excellent deals on TV's and slightly better sales staff due to being commission based pay. To me that usually means at least some product training. My few experiences so far there have been positive and the sales staff knowledgeable and not pushy.

That is exactly where I was yesterday and where I will be later today or tomorrow.

So you liked the Samsung plasma better than the Panasonic? I was looking at the LED TV from Samsung vs the Viera but I will take a look at the Samsung plasma now.

I wound up with the UNC8000 and it has the brushed aluminum bezel. Wasn't sure I would like it either, but it has grown on me significantly.

I wish there was a 60" version of this set available that didn't require a second mortgage.

The best part about it is it doesn't reflect at all.

The Panasonic VT25 bezel is like a frikkin mirror... :cry:

D

Finally! I made a Black Friday trip, which I never do, and picked up the Samsung 58" 8000 series plasma! Got a great deal I think - $2200 plus it came with free delivery, a free Samsung Blu-Ray player, 2 free 3D glasses and the 4 Shrek movies in 3D. Bad news is that it won't get delivered and installed until the 8th.

The salesperson said I needed HDMI 1.4 cables - are they necessary for the 3D viewing or can I use the 1.3 versions I have?

Thanks for all the help and I will take some pics once I get it up on the wall!

I don't think the cables are physically different (wiring), just higher tolerances on those supposed to handle 1.4. I would simply try the ones you have, it'll either work fine or completely fail; if you need new ones go to monoprice or blue jeans cable.

Right. Many 1.3 cables can actually meet the 1.4 spec. One good thing about digital anything is that (for the most part) things either work or they don't.

Buzzzzzzzzzzz. Got the set on Wednesday and I can hear a little buzz coming from the center of the set. It is audible when the sound is off or pretty low from about 8 feet away. Of course, now that I know to listen for it I can hear it. My wife didn't think it was a big deal but it bugs me.

So, called Best Buy and left a msg for the Magnolia guy to see what the options are. I will try the set again as the picture is amazing! Hopefully the next one will be better.

Back