• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Davialet 4,600-watt speaker

The Wired article was very interesting (and quite amusing!). Another toy I hope to experience.

I have heard one of their amplifiers at Audio Solutions in Indy, they have some type of DSP built in to EQ any speaker in their database. While I could tell a difference between EQ on and off, I didn't think it was dramatic in it's effect. The sales guy said they have many customers trading in their current amps for them and saying goofy things (too me anyway) I no longer need subwoofers.

Their amps are like shiny, square, slabs of metal aprox. two inches thick using some type digital technology to put out a lot of power in a slim profile. Prices are high as I would assume the WAF . High Fi News (British) magazine uses them as one of their reference amps.
They now have a store in NYC: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/devialet-opens-its-first-us-store-in-nyc/

FYI speakers I used were Magico S2's and Revel's second from the top of their line.

Last edited:
**********REALITY CHECK***********

If you have a 20 amp dedicated line (and most homes have only a 15 amp line), the maximum power you can get from that line, assuming the amplifier is 100% efficient is 2,400 watts. Digital amps are usually 85-90% efficient assuming they use a switching power supply. Most audio class-D power amplifiers do NOT use a switching power supply for several reasons having to do with current capability and UL and European approvals, so the overall efficiency is more likely to be around 75-80%. This would yield a maximum power of around 1900 watts with a 20 amp circuit or around 1440 watts with a 15 amp circuit. In addition to that, there is significant power line sag on every circuit, especially in a home. That is why when during development of our power amplifiers, we use a very large variac which runs on 240VAC and has a current capability of something like 50 amps in order to keep the AC line at 120VAC even when the amplifier is running at full power.

The power capacity of home outlets is also a reason why the larger ATI amplifiers have two independent AC power inlets (usually 20 amp IEC), and two independent power transformers. These two inlets are intended to be run each on its own dedicated AC circuit, preferably on different phases of the incoming AC service.

Some of the really big amps with as many as 16 channels for cinema application which we make are designed to only be run on 240VAC, and these also have two independent AC inlets and power transformers.

Along with the problem of 2400 watts but electricians and inspectors only want 1600 to be used and leaving the 20 percent for peaks.

Back