• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ghetto Stands

From my understanding, the names Esotar2 and Esotec are platforms for their drivers. There are differences within the Esotar2 driver platform as well as the Esotec. So, the Contour s5.4 shares the same platform as the Evidence, but the driver is different. Dyn's drivers are excellent and quite robust. This allows them to use a 6db/octave crossover, which also happens to be an excellent crossover.

I own the 3.4's and I must say, the tweeter is phenomenal.....great detail and no sibilance or harshness. The 5.4's improve on clarity (some say too revealing...but I don't believe that). Also, the 5.4's are a true 3-way; the 3.4's are a "2.5 way" speaker.

Cisco,

I couldn't tell you the difference as far as drivers and tech go. That was around '98 or '99 when I heard them so a lot of time has passed since then. As far as sound differences go, the Evidence seemed to have a bigger soundstage and the overall scale was just huge compared to the Contours.

Both speakers had very low extension. Not so shocking with the Evidence since they are huge monoliths compared to a conventional speakers, but the Contour towers really surprised me as their biggest drivers were 7" woofers. I remember I kept getting up trying to find a subwoofer as I didn't believe they were hitting that low.

jamhead said:
Also, the 5.4's are a true 3-way; the 3.4's are a "2.5 way" speaker.
As someone who does not own these speakers, I hate like hell to disagree with someone who does but I think the 3.4's are a 2-way speaker. First, Dynaudio's own web site calls it a 2-way and, second, they list only one crossover frequency.

You are correct Zing. It was sarcasm on my part (humoring myself) early in the morning.

Some people on AVS Dyn thread (who are crazy btw) insist its "2.5 way".

I apologize for the confusion. :text-imsorry:

I wondered why you had 2.5 way in quotes but no matter how many times I read your post, I just didn't pick up on any sarcasm.

*****EDIT******

If you're looking for our crossover discussion, it now has its own thread in the Speaker section.

Apologies to all for any confusion and inconvenience.

Back