• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Good Place - SPOILERS!

TKoP

Does anyone watch the show? I had recorded them and watched the first two episodes then just recently I caught up. Wondering if anybody else is watching too.

Wife and I have been watching since day 1. Kind of a quirky show, reminds me a little of Pushing Daisy's. Watched the mid season finale just last night, and liked how they ended it. Looking forward to its return.

Wife and I have been watching since day 1. Kind of a quirky show, reminds me a little of Pushing Daisy's. Watched the mid season finale just last night, and liked how they ended it. Looking forward to its return.
That perfectly sums up my thoughts as well.

I am watching it with very mixed feelings. Some of the equivocation bothers be, but the jokes can be funny. The good place should be happier for those not breaking the rules.

That said, the humor can be funny.

I have watched all of them. I find the humor and acting, especially Kristen Bell (who I love in everything she has done), to be great. It is the their approach to heady philosophical moral and ethical dilemmas that I find frustrating. They are struggling with the classic issue of "right and wrong", which is commendable, but often the results are problematic - to me. That doesn't stop me from watching it.

I struggle with the complete lack of happiness in the characters Tahani and Chidi, both of whom should be happier more of the time. It is as if their "paradise" wasn't anything close to reflecting their joy, even without the bad apples getting in.

Maybe I just expect more "heaven" in a show about "heaven".

I have watched all of them. I find the humor and acting, especially Kristen Bell (who I love in everything she has done), to be great. It is the their approach to heady philosophical moral and ethical dilemmas that I find frustrating. They are struggling with the classic issue of "right and wrong", which is commendable, but often the results are problematic - to me. That doesn't stop me from watching it.

I struggle with the complete lack of happiness in the characters Tahani and Chidi, both of whom should be happier more of the time. It is as if their "paradise" wasn't anything close to reflecting their joy, even without the bad apples getting in.

Maybe I just expect more "heaven" in a show about "heaven".
If you are writing this, you have not watched them all. Last one was an hour long and will answer all of your concerns.

Clearly I have watched the episode you mention even though I watched it.

I like the show in spite of the things that make me uncomfortable. In fact, the things that make me uncomfortable are probably what keeps me coming back to the show. You seem to think I am not paying attention, but I am. I love the way stories get told and I pay attention to the rhetoric, definition of "normal", and so on which the highly educated writers incorporate into their work. I find that part of the entertainment. This isn't a simple, happy-go-lucky show even though the sitcom format can make it seem that way. For example, regardless of Tahini's "soul-mate" being the wrong guy, she was a head case from day one and not really happy during most of the first few episodes. That, to me, is a flaw in the concept behind the story.

But that doesn't mean I don't like the show. I do. I have watched every episode available on Hulu, many of which are 'extended" making them slightly longer than the broadcast versions.

Then you must have missed the last 10 minutes or so.
Spoiler alert!!

They are in Hell not Heaven. That's why things seem so out of place in Heaven. Ted Danson is an architect in Hell, who devises a plan to prolong the suffering of the four characters.

So @Flint I'm not sure what you had seen, but at least from what you were writing, you didn't know it was Hell that they were in. Feel better about the situations of the show?

So apparently I have no idea how long the delay from broadcast to Hulu is. I finally saw the last episode and all of the things which have been bugging me from the very first episode turned out to be true. Was it that obvious to everyone else or has my love of mysteries made me notice inconsistencies too often?

So apparently I have no idea how long the delay from broadcast to Hulu is. I finally saw the last episode and all of the things which have been bugging me from the very first episode turned out to be true. Was it that obvious to everyone else or has my love of mysteries made me notice inconsistencies too often?
I figured you hadn't seen it with the statements you were making. No, I wouldn't say it was obvious, they did a good job at misdirecting. The wife and I were both surprised at the twist. That being said, it doesn't seem much like Hell either, but I guess that's what the architect was going for.

Hmmm... I was really starting to think the writers had an ulterior motive to make us all think Heaven wasn't all that great after all.

My radar was turned down to a 1 or 2... the packaging was so typically sit-commy and the actors picked fit the mold for a straight-forward sitcom of my first impression, i didn't even consider there was going to be a twilight zone twist to this one. In retrospect, I TOTALLY see the signs... almost to the point that I'm embarrassed that I missed them. Had I gone in knowing this was the twilight zone or a movie from M. Night Shamalamadingdong (he deserves this for much of his movie collection), I would have figured it out in a few episodes I think. Now that the cat is out of the bag, i'm curious to see how they progress now that it's sort of Colombo like (e.g., knowing the answer before it's "solved").

So the new season started up the other night, and it was good, but it kind of leaves a question of where it is going. I won't give any details, don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I will say, I hope the rest of the episodes are shot different. The way this one was filmed, it reminded me of those joke videos where they tell you to wait until the end, but keep showing the same scenes over and over, just at different intervals. Felt like they were unnecessarily dragging out the episode.

As we get farther into the second season, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, they aren't in Hell, especially after this last episode. I'm guessing they are all in purgatory, and this is a final test to see where their soles rest for eternity. None of them were that bad to justify Hell, and none of them were that good to justify Heaven.

I'm getting the same vibe to some extent... if it weren't for the reboot effect, then i'd be on board for sure.

Watched the series finale last night, and really liked how they rapped things up. Overall it was a very touching episode. I could have gone without the Q & A at the end with Seth Meyers though.

Back