• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Joy of Finding Gems

D

Deleted member 133

As I've posted, and told in person, after a summer travel hiatus I started back up again early in September.

I've since been to Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, Las Vegas and Houston. In all but the case of Houston ('cause I had better things to do) I've actively sought out (via Google) "great places to buy used CDs." I've probably found and visited two dozens stores as a result.

In addition, and where visits to those places have so inspired, I've gone online to buy additional discs - having them sent to my hotel destination.

I'm easily averaging $3 or less per CD - and this includes many new releases.

Now that I'm back home and in proximity to my system, I've been crunching my way through the dozens and dozens of discs that I procured and it's been nothing but great fun.

I now have a complete 'Til Tuesday / Aimee Mann collection. I'm glad I do. I really like her voice.

Same for Tracy Chapman, The Dixie Chicks, Sarah Brightman and Indigo Girls.

The two Belinda Carlisle CDs have just wet my appetite. I'm now on the hunt for the rest of hers - and the Go Gos.

(Getting a sense that I'm into female vocalists? :) )

My love of Melissa auf der Maur led me, of course, to Hole's Celebrity Skin.

Evanescence, both old titles and their brand new album have been a treat - inspired by Katherine Jenkins' cover of Bring Me to Life.

I've added more Dvorak to my collection, symphonies in addition to No. 9 of which I have previously posted, and concertos.

Brian Adams, Susan Aglukark, Feist, The Nylons, Moxie Fruvous, Avril Lavigne, and The Pursuit of Happiness and but some of the Canadians in the recent picks.

Throw in selections from Enya, Cyndy Lauper, Beck, Bon Jovi, John Mayer, Ace of Base and The Cranberries and you'll get an idea of the range of stuff that I've managed to find.

I'll be back on the road in the near future and am looking forward to tracking down more gems - at costume jewelry prices!

Jeff

Check out www.secondspin.com

We have a B&M store here and they always have decent discs for $2-$5.

Another good B&M store here is Cheapo Discs, they do not have a website though.

D

Although i dont seek theses type stores out anymore,i remember your addiction,i mean fun. I still cant help rummaging thru a bargain bin if i happen to be next to one. I think my first bargain (back then there were only albums) was Truth--Jeff beck/rod steward for 59 cents. funny thing it found legs a couple of years later and it went back to the standard $4.99. since you like tracy this video came from a christmas charity event with her and eric[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_qhOMItws[/youtube]

since you like female singers Heres another video that i have the bargain cd from a srv tribute. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mylo0piAgc[/youtube]

JeffMackwood said:
As I've posted, and told in person, after a summer travel hiatus I started back up again early in September.

I've since been to Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, Las Vegas and Houston. In all but the case of Houston ('cause I had better things to do) I've actively sought out (via Google) "great places to buy used CDs." I've probably found and visited two dozens stores as a result.

In addition, and where visits to those places have so inspired, I've gone online to buy additional discs - having them sent to my hotel destination.

I'm easily averaging $3 or less per CD - and this includes many new releases.

Now that I'm back home and in proximity to my system, I've been crunching my way through the dozens and dozens of discs that I procured and it's been nothing but great fun.

I now have a complete 'Til Tuesday / Aimee Mann collection. I'm glad I do. I really like her voice.

Same for Tracy Chapman, The Dixie Chicks, Sarah Brightman and Indigo Girls.

The two Belinda Carlisle CDs have just wet my appetite. I'm now on the hunt for the rest of hers - and the Go Gos.

(Getting a sense that I'm into female vocalists? :) )

My love of Melissa auf der Maur led me, of course, to Hole's Celebrity Skin.

Evanescence, both old titles and their brand new album have been a treat - inspired by Katherine Jenkins' cover of Bring Me to Life.

I've added more Dvorak to my collection, symphonies in addition to No. 9 of which I have previously posted, and concertos.

Brian Adams, Susan Aglukark, Feist, The Nylons, Moxie Fruvous, Avril Lavigne, and The Pursuit of Happiness and but some of the Canadians in the recent picks.

Throw in selections from Enya, Cyndy Lauper, Beck, Bon Jovi, John Mayer, Ace of Base and The Cranberries and you'll get an idea of the range of stuff that I've managed to find.

I'll be back on the road in the near future and am looking forward to tracking down more gems - at costume jewelry prices!

Jeff

Jeff, Please recommend some of Aimee Mann's Solos CD's......

Heeman,

Tough ask!

I've not listened to all of them enough to give THE definitive recommendation BUT at this point I'd say go for Bachelor No. 2. Reason: it combines new tracks (for example the most-excellent Deathly) with some that were previously released on the soundtrack to Magnolia - for which she contributed eight songs. BUT unfotunately you need to get the soundtrack itself to hear Save Me - a great song.

I guess I took the easy way out and bought them all! :)

Jeff

I love Aimee Mann! I have about 8 of her solo albums and love them. I both love and hate the way Aimee sings so effortlessly, almost like she isn't even trying. The relaxed feel can be so comforting or irritating depending on my mood, and I ultimately like it.

NO! WAIT!!! Get "Whatever" and "Lost in Space"...

Dang... I knew this was hard.

Okay.

Try "Whatever" and "Bachelor No. 2"

"The two Belinda Carlisle CDs have just wet my appetite. I'm now on the hunt for the rest of hers - and the Go Gos."

Belinda Carlisle wets my appetite too. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

BTW, I too love Aimee Mann. I am a big Til Tuesday fan. I have always wanted to get some of Aimee's solo stuff, just keep forgetting. I really don't buy much music and haven't in years.

Back