• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The NEW Rockband changes the game for learning guitar

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I used to mock people for assuming that their children who had become experts at playing Rockband or Guitar Hero could quickly and easily make the switch over to real guitar playing, as if being good at a game was a sign of talent. It isn't.

However, the new Rockband coming out soon completely changes the game for guitar and bass playing. With the ability to learn chords, frets, notes, scales, and imitate real musicians using all their fingers and complex motor skills, a person could learn to play guitar or bass pretty darn well with Rockband. In fact, using a fully fretted and stringed controller, it is essentially the same as playing the guitar.

I am impressed.

That said, I have yet to see any signs that playing drums with Rockband will help in any possible way to learn to play drums for real, other than teaching some basic rhythm patterns. Most people can learn those basics after two intro drum lessons. It does not teach how to hold sticks, how to hit a drum head, or how to control the tone of a drumset.

Re: The Rockband changes the game for learning guitar

Cool, I'll have to check that out when it comes out. For me, playing RB drums seemed to improve my overall sense of rhythm and syncopation; right, it's not so much about the technique, except in my case maybe for coordinating hands and foot.

Re: The Rockband changes the game for learning guitar

I heard about that earlier this year. My understanding is that the system works with MIDI so you should be able to use keyboards as well. The guitar would requires the use of a guitar with a MIDI connection which isn't exactly common.

I think the game comes with a keyboard controller, as well as the stringed guitars.

October 26th....might have to go ahead and splurge on that PS3 after all. LOL!

Back