• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Northman Trailer

Hah, I knew someone would get that joke.

Yall are like Luther Vandross, a bunch of Kentucky Fried Chicken eating mother fuckers.

Bump: Saw Northman in the theater tonight pretty epic and amazing story telling albeit mega violent which was expected.

Equal parts Valhalla Rising (bleak long haul storytelling), Green Knight (acid trip mythology), Braveheart (battle scenes and epic revenge saga) and some very pure Robert Eggers signature big moments, striking visuals, symbolism, etc. Proper proper film making. Glad they gave Eggers the budget and the cast.

And just as an aside Skarsgard makes Thor look like a wimp. His personal trainer will definitely get some more clients after this flick LOL. And probably his steroid dealer too.

But seriously I enjoyed it. Crazy at times but I thought epic good Viking flick.

Our local news' movie critic talked about this film today, really liked it and supposedly only one camera was used the entire movie (not shot in one continuous take, though, like that WWI flick).

Our local news' movie critic talked about this film today, really liked it and supposedly only one camera was used the entire movie (not shot in one continuous take, though, like that WWI flick).
Not surprised. I read Eggers used vintage camera lenses for The Lighthouse to give the film it's unique retro look (and square aspect ratio). It seemed strange at first but then very normal after watching for a little while and especially since it was so in keeping with the whole look and style of the film, cinematography, etc.

Tempted to go back for another viewing of this while it's still in the theater. Just started playing at a local XD Theater (big like IMAX) and I think it would be cool to see there. Not an all time reference film or anything but still might check it out again if I can find the time.

Bump: The Northman just hit Amazon streaming that was quick. So if anyone missed it in the theater you can catch it on-demand. I was going to go back for another big screen viewing but COVID rate is spiking above 14% in CT right now so taking a break from theater crowds for a bit until things calm down.

saw it recently, im curious as to what your thouitwasawesome!!!!

kidding aside, i will share my thoughts in a spoiler posting

so, i only have seen witch by eggers, and not seen the lighthouse. i wanted to but man, dafoe scares the shit out of me.

the mans got chops. i can tell you that.

the witch has this raw, somewhat nude feel to it. NOTHING else is there but your eyes and the events unfolding. music sure. but no distractions, nothing to desecrate you from being scared. oh, he also uses YOUR mind to somewhat amplify what he wants you to see. genius.

the northman movie was a great example of outstanding storytelling. if not fantasmic at times, well, its supposed to be.we are talking about norfolk here, and nothing quite epitomizes barbarian like the viking does. ironic how we make vikings somewhat of an immaculate figure, without realizing how painfully brutal they were. kinda like how we posterize otters, and not realizing their dark nature. (google it, dont say i didnt warn you)

although the movie was beautifully told, and spectacularly done, i for one, felt something... missing. something, somewhat of a void. i wanted to call this as a perfect movie, but it wasnt. there was an element i couldnt put my finger on.

and now it pondered on me. enlightened me.

maybe thats the point. as wonderful this movie was as a viewer, it wanted me to end up 'feeling' what the protagonist was, that there was emptiness, a void, something i wanted to yearn for.

or im just bullshitting you.

anyways, its a great movie. i bought that for a dollar. and 19 more.

Warning Mild Spoilers In These Responses...
so, i only have seen witch by eggers, and not seen the lighthouse. i wanted to but man, dafoe scares the shit out of me.
Yeah Lighthouse was about as wacky as I have seen from Eggers... very cryptic mythological story telling. And yes Dafoe was pretty scary in this one. Of all of Eggers (three) movies I have seen so far Lighthouse is the least traditional/most experimental it took a lot of brain power just to absorb and process it. But it was powerful and stuck with me for sure.
the witch has this raw, somewhat nude feel to it. NOTHING else is there but your eyes and the events unfolding. music sure. but no distractions, nothing to desecrate you from being scared. oh, he also uses YOUR mind to somewhat amplify what he wants you to see. genius.
IMO The Witch is just one of the best pure horror movies to come out in a long time. So much tension and dread without any gratuitous nonsense just perfect period accurate fear and hysteria... which I think might explain some of what you described in The Northman and IMO might be a recurring theme in Egger's flicks...
although the movie was beautifully told, and spectacularly done, i for one, felt something... missing. something, somewhat of a void. i wanted to call this as a perfect movie, but it wasnt. there was an element i couldnt put my finger on.
...my theory is that Eggers tends to leave some deliberate mysteriousness or vagueness to some of the story to effectively convey the fear of the unknown that characters might have had from a given historical period... so we can feel a little of the same as viewers. Whether it was the Puritan fear of witchcraft in The Witch or the fear/euphoria in The Northman about ascending to Valhalla these things are IMO left not fleshed out completely on screen or fully explained so that we can have some empathy for this situation. Eggers uses a lot of wild symbolism to depict what these characters might have been envisioning in these moments. It's pretty creative and effective IMO. Bottom line is this guy is making really solid heavy movies and I really like that he does not feel obligated to explain every little thing. I hope this will continue to be a big part of his story telling style.

I have to try to find the Northman again.
It tooks good.
its on most streaming platforms, which you can purchase movies from. got mine through google play store. its a good movie, just not mainstream enough for everyone to appreciate. its a bit artsy craftsy making most moviegoers realign their mindset to understand, unlike watching lets say avengers. just sit down, plug and play stuff.

Back