• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The other one; HT Basement build with kids area

Batman said:
I can still see myself implementing one, if for no other reason than its just a matter of time until I get the itch for another project. If Flint attends my GTG, I'll be very eager to hear his thoughts on placement options.

Being a bad-ass Billionaire, I would expect you to use 4x 21" woofers and several 3,000 watt amplifiers. The result would be the kind of bass no one here has ever heard, ever, and the average Joe would never know where to find it.

Flint said:
Batman said:
I can still see myself implementing one, if for no other reason than its just a matter of time until I get the itch for another project. If Flint attends my GTG, I'll be very eager to hear his thoughts on placement options.

Being a bad-ass Billionaire, I would expect you to use 4x 21" woofers and several 3,000 watt amplifiers. The result would be the kind of bass no one here has ever heard, ever, and the average Joe would never know where to find it.

haha, if anyone could pull of that setup, i'd guess it would be Bats. Actually the one time i was there, I thought I remembered a "service closet" on the right side by his rack equipment that he mentioned for an IB setup...

Batman said:
You know where that equipment rack is? Yeah, right about there.

John

Botch said:
I'm pretty sure the air volume on the "far" side of the sub cone does not need to be sealed, in fact the more volume the better; but I'll defer to Flint on that (I don't yet have an IB setup, but I've read his posts with interest as my speakers are against an upstairs internal wall, and there's a big area above the stairwell that would work perfectly for me). WRT the door between the listening area and the "far" side of the sub, there might be some "chuffing" under the door but again Flint would know better than I.
The vibration won't have an effect on your HVAC or gas lines, no worries there. On my furnace system (natural gas) a cold air return upstairs feeds the furnace, and there must be some kind of input from outside air too or the furnace would quit running (and my ears would pop). Hmm, I gotta go look and see how that works. (I have a BS in ME, but because I changed majors from Aerospace Engineering I never had a chance to take an HVAC course)

So @Botch, I just re-read this and don't know how I missed previously that you were suggesting that I could feed air into that room from the HT area. But then @Flint mentioned you'd want to isolate the sound from the rear of the cone from going into the HT area. So between you two i'm confused :) But if Flint's correct, and due to the depth of his postings i've seen thus far I'd guess he is, then I'd have to cut a hole in my house and feed fresh air into my HVAC system, while in parallel making the walls between the Mechanical room and the HT area airtight when the door is closed. Have I captured the gist?

yes.

Just isolate the back-wave from the front-wave as much as possible and make sure the rear "chamber" is so large it doesn't put an acoustic "load" on the free motion of the cone. You can get air for your HVAC system from wherever you'd like, but the whole system should be mostly separate from the acoustic cavity for the sub.

Back