• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Return of the Great Box Sets..........

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Seems there's more and more box sets turning up. Is this a sign of some of us getting old or is it more downloaded purchases are driving down the cost of purchasing hard media?? Back in the 90s, I remember walking into a store and seeing all these extravagant box sets on display, behind the counter. Jimi Hendrix Stages, Eric Clapton Crossroads, Yesyears, Steely Dan Citizen, etc. These sets had all the major hits by the artists, some B-sides, rarities, or unreleased tracks exclusive to the set. It was also pretty cool to see all that on display.

I see more sets out now than ever. These sets are different. Instead of some rare gems and unreleased tracks, you're just getting a vanilla set. No fancy liner notes about the production of the set and about the tracks within, just a gob of CDs in sleeves that look like miniaturized versions of the LP album. The cool thing is it is the complete catalog that's been remastered and the price is right. Who can argue getting 6-11 albums (depending on the artist) for less than $50? I remember seeing Hendrix Stages go for almost twice that and it only had four CDs.

There's part of the old box sets I miss (unreleased tracks for example), but I do like the more slimmed down and lower prices of these newer sets. I've bought a few and plan on adding more to my collection.

I've been filling some holes in my jazz collection with these sets, yes the price is nice! :text-bravo:

Randy said:
I still miss albums.

50/50 with you.

If you're talking about albums as far as also including the liner notes, totally agree. It's amazing what you can learn about your favorite album by what's in the liner notes.

If you're talking about the complete music of an album, then that's the beauty of these box sets. Many of them are all the albums of an artist in chronological order (some up to a certain point) and have been remastered. Some lack the liner notes, but the low price makes them a steal!

As for my recent purchases, I think the Blue Oyster Cult box set is probably a hug bang for the buck buy. Every album's remastered, has bonus tracks, and the bonus of downloading 4 live shows from their website. That box set has all the liner notes, to my knowledge, as a small booklet.

Looking around, I see the two box sets I have of the Eagles and ZZ Top do not have any liner notes. Just straight laced vanilla discs in cardboard sleeves. Both those releases are from Warner Music too, so maybe that's a studio issue.

Back