• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ten Best, and Five Worst, Science Fiction Movies

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
This was a fun article in the current issue of Popular Mechanics. The ratings were done by scientists, not movie critics.

The Ten Best:
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (I heartily agree!)
2. The Matrix
3. Brazil (1985)
4. Alien
5. Fantastic Voyage (I loved a cartoon of this when I was a kid, didn't know it was a feature film)
6. Wall-E (!!)
7. Jurassic Park
8. Blade Runner (this is sitting on the pile, I've not seen it yet)
9. Star Wars
10. The War of the Worlds

And the Five Worst:
1. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (the sub was damaged by, uh, sinking ice)
2. Armageddon (rain hitting the spaceship's windshield)
3. The Phantom Menace
4. The Core
5. 2012

A fun read, if you get a chance. :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch, couple questions,
1. shouldn't it have been top 10 and bottom 10?
2. what happened to any one of Star Trek movies for top 10? :(

Edit: I think there are more bad sci-fi movies than good ones so it should be top 10 and bottom 100. :eusa-whistle:

Phantom Menace IS bad but I don't know about "5 worst" bad...

Except for Alien and 2001 the rest there could be in the worst heap for me. Its only my honest opinion.

Botch if you ever get around to seeing "Blade Runner" make sure it's the "Final Cut" version which among fans is arguably the best version.

Can't believe "Plan 9 from Outerspace" wasn't on the worst list. One of Ed Wood's best but worst movies out there. It's so bad I was pulling a MST3K on it while watching. Favorite part of Plan 9 was the shower curtain that seperated the cockpit from the rest of the spaceship.

Botch, go watch Blade Runner. The urban vistas in the film have a sense of realism that exceeds those in "The Fifth Element" and star wars III. What happens when striving for perfection goes very right and very wrong (Leon). This movie, when it first came out, typecasted Daryl Hannah forever in my mind as an evil bitch that must die every time I see her. I couldn't wait for and then hated her end in Kill Bill. #*@! Seeing her on TV as an activist and listening to her sell health food products on talk radio shows still freaks me out.

Batman said:
Phantom Menace IS bad but I don't know about "5 worst" bad...

I agree. I guess those guys never saw Starship Troopers. That's in my top five.

Lucky bastards. That was about 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Yesfan70 said:
I guess those guys never saw Starship Troopers. That's in my top five.

Ha! I forgot that one!
I actually LOVED that movie! Very campy, great, stupid humor ("Medic!!" :laughing: ), co-ed military showers, I'd love to see it again! But yeah, from a science perspective, it was completely stupid (a giant catepillar creature that could poop out explosive turds out of its planet's gravity, across to another solar system, and nailing a particular city on Earth? Ri-i-i-ight…

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:

Ha! I forgot that one!
I actually LOVED that movie! Very campy, great, stupid humor ("Medic!!" :laughing: ), co-ed military showers, I'd love to see it again! But yeah, from a science perspective, it was completely stupid (a giant catepillar creature that could poop out explosive turds out of its planet's gravity, across to another solar system, and nailing a particular city on Earth? Ri-i-i-ight…

Yeah, I enjoyed Starship Troopers as well. Sure, there's plenty to hate, but it was (and remains) entertaining. When I first saw it I expected to think it was awful... I turned out to think it was a fair amount of fun.

I'd love to know if the producers meant for it to be a comedy, or not…

Never before has there been one post that generated so much sh!t towards the poster. :laughing-lettersrofl:

Botch said:
(a giant catepillar creature that could poop out explosive turds out of its planet's gravity, across to another solar system, and nailing a particular city on Earth? Ri-i-i-ight…
No, it was asteroids sent by them (some how) that hit the earth. Those bug sh!t cannons were aiming at the earth's star ships arrived at their planet's orbit to attack.

Ha! I forgot that one!
Uh... perhaps. :eusa-whistle:

scubabob said:
Botch, go watch Blade Runner. The urban vistas in the film have a sense of realism that exceeds those in "The Fifth Element" and star wars III. What happens when striving for perfection goes very right and very wrong (Leon). This movie, when it first came out, typecasted Daryl Hannah forever in my mind as an evil bitch that must die every time I see her. I couldn't wait for and then hated her end in Kill Bill. #*@! Seeing her on TV as an activist and listening to her sell health food products on talk radio shows still freaks me out.
Splash

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt8IGishHqA[/youtube]

Say no more

scubabob said:
Botch, go watch Blade Runner.

This movie, when it first came out, typecasted Daryl Hannah forever in my mind as an evil bitch that must die every time I see her. I couldn't wait for and then hated her end in Kill Bill. #*@! Seeing her on TV as an activist and listening to her sell health food products on talk radio shows still freaks me out.
I had a discussion with Flint (formally known as I.G. / C.O.F.) back on S&V forum about Daryl Hannah. I share the same view as yours scubabob, by the same reason. But Flint said to have the opposite perception of her as his first view of her acting performance was Summer Lovers. Mine was Blade Runner. As they say, you don't get a second chance for first impression. :think:

There are different takes on mermaids and insanity inducing sirens, Jeff. :) If a mermaid 'claims' you as she did to Tom Hanks in that film, you're OK underwater entirely at her whim. Lets just hope she doesn't tire of ol' Tom while looking at a 100' ascent to the surface. I knew the film couldn't possibly end that way, but a part of me was expecting some kind of fish double-cross.

DIYer, yeah, having somebody try to twist another's head off has a way of souring that impression.

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:

Ha! I forgot that one!

Agreed! One of my first purchases on dvd and Bluray when released. Seeing the red head naked was worth the price of admission alone, and Michael Ironside was great in that movie, at least I think that was his name.

Botch said:
This was a fun article in the current issue of Popular Mechanics. The ratings were done by scientists, not movie critics.

The Ten Best:
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (I heartily agree!)
2. The Matrix
3. Brazil (1985)
4. Alien
5. Fantastic Voyage (I loved a cartoon of this when I was a kid, didn't know it was a feature film)
6. Wall-E (!!)
7. Jurassic Park
8. Blade Runner (this is sitting on the pile, I've not seen it yet)
9. Star Wars
10. The War of the Worlds

And the Five Worst:
1. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (the sub was damaged by, uh, sinking ice)
2. Armageddon (rain hitting the spaceship's windshield)
3. The Phantom Menace
4. The Core
5. 2012

A fun read, if you get a chance. :handgestures-thumbup:
Let's just say that the fifties the have ten worst captured for infinity. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea wasn't all that bad and Barbara Eden got grabbed a lot. It was Jules Verne with a nuclear boat.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Not Star Wars?!?!?! I'm already having doubts)
2. The Matrix (Higher than I'd have guessed but it was kind of groundbreaking at the time)
3. Brazil (Agree)
4. Alien (Agree)
5. Fantastic Voyage (Agree)
6. Wall-E (Any list that ranks this terrible movie this high is not valid. I'm out.)

Towen7 said:
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Not Star Wars?!?!?! I'm already having doubts)
Once again, this list was chosen by scientists, not movie critics. 2001 was a VERY highly possible storyline; Star Wars is a futuristic fantasy.

Wall-E (Any list that ranks this terrible movie this high is not valid. I'm out.
Same thing. There is much in Wall-E that's already happening. ;)

Back