• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Vulfpeck Thread

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I've scattered various videos of this loose collective in other threads, and I think they deserve their own special spot.

"Three on E"

Reading thru some of the comments on this one, I learn that a couple of the guys are also involved with Snarky Puppy, another favorite of mine!

Here's one for you, @Zing. I remember a discussion we had many moons ago about what makes "funk", funk. The guy front and center here is pummeling a Clav patch, using it more as a percussion instrument than a piano (well, the piano-forte IS in the percussion section of the orchestra, so...) The rhythm is more important than the actual notes, and it's fawnky! Enjoy.

Thanks for posting these @Botch, I'm enjoying this thread even though funk isn't my normal venue.

Cory Wong and the Wongnotes, except Cory isn't there (Lettieri is) and Victor Wooten on bass. His style is so uniquely his.

EDIT: I finally figured out that Lettieri is actually Cory Wong, spokesman for Sweetwater Sound. d'Oh!

Last edited:
Pauly, this one will be up your alley, albeit short. The funk guy sent a very short Bach piece to a pedal steel guitar player, and got this multitrack back. Apparently its going to be on his upcoming solo album.
And I'm completely clueless how the music business works anymore. This solo album is coming out, only on vinyl, and right now it's "crowd-sourced", yet he keeps releasing tracks in digital format over EweTube. I'm not getting it anymore.
This piece was particularly interesting to me as I played a pedal steel from ~85 to ~91. An odd instrument; mine was a beginner's model with only three pedals and one knee lever. You could hit just two strings, and bend one of them just right, and half the country crowd would start weeping; yet you could also hit a few strings, do the wrong thing, and all three notes would go the wrong direction and sound like ass.
After the violent mayhem in Albuquerque, I quit the very popular band I was in and never played country again, sold the guitar to the bass player. Would love to play it one more time.

Solo piece on a Harpejji, kind've a cross between a Chapman Stick and an autoharp (and sounds like a clav)

Very unusual, this one. Glancing thru the comments I see I wasn't the only guy thinking this could be on a Peanuts TV special.

Here the guys on the "Dead Wax" channel compare and constrast Jaco's "Teen Town" (from Heavy Weather) to Vulfpek's "Dean Town" (not a comparison I would've caught). With guest Adam Neely (a monster musician/teacher). The discussion gets deep in the weeds where only a musician would enjoy, but some really interesting stuff on compressor ducking, and how it's a holdover sound from track bouncing from the early days.

Back