• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Words We Use To Describe Audio

Zing said:
Flint said:
For me it is always the music, even shitty sound cannot hinder my enjoyment of great art.
I'm with you on this one. If I like a song, I'm happy to hear it playing from a single ceiling speaker in the grocery store.

And I think we'd all use the same word to describe the sound: shitty.

I guess you saw me dancing in the cereal aisle when Supertramp's "Dreamer" was playing on the PA.

Flint said:
I guess you saw me dancing in the cereal aisle when Supertramp's "Dreamer" was playing on the PA.

Thankfully something else has already ruined that song for me, otherwise this probably would've done it... :teasing-neener:

Zing said:
CMonster said:
Has anyone else experienced what I've described?
Yeah, I believe I have.

I came to the (subjective) conclusion long ago that there are speakers for making music and there are speakers for listening to music and that I don't want to use one for the other.

I'm sorry but I cant wrap my head around this concept.

I have the same type of love that cmonster has and not Flint. While music is art, I indulge in this hobbie because I find listening to an exceptional recording, on a very good sound system is the joy I am after. It's a treat to hear such a thing.. Music reproduced to a quality that only few get to experience.

Razz said:
...I find listening to an exceptional recording, on a very good sound system is the joy I am after.
But what if it's an exceptional recording of awful music? Do you listen to it anyway?

Perhaps there is an emotional state associated with certain songs from our past. Mean Streets.....maybe Heeman first heard this song on speakers, or a system, with the flying V frequency response...so to him, that's how this song is supposed to sound. But played through a system with a great frequency response, in a treated room, it lost that "excitement" he initially associated with the song. Now the song doesn't sound as good....it's not as he remembered it.

I love music on any system, but when I hear a song on a system that is sub par, although I still enjoy the song, I do think "I wish I was listening to this at home".

Zing said:
Towen7 said:
Obviously, Mr. Mackie Owner.

Yeah, yeah.

Seriously though. I'm not challenging you but is the argument for not using a monitor to listen to music that it sounds too much like the source? We wouldn't say that about a video display. We spend hours tweeking settings and maybe even hire professional calibrators to get the display to look as close as possible as the source. We don't say "I prefer my reds with slightly more yellow".

jamhead said:
maybe Heeman first heard this song on speakers, or a system, with the flying V frequency response...so to him, that's how this song is supposed to sound. But played through a system with a great frequency response, in a treated room, it lost that "excitement" he initially associated with the song. Now the song doesn't sound as good....it's not as he remembered it.

I think you nailed it. Keith and I have talked about this several times and you explained very well what I had a hard time doing.

It's not the "sound" of the POS system in the truck that excites him. It's the music. Going from the truck to the HT is a shock to the senses and takes him out of the music.

Towen7 said:
Zing said:
Towen7 said:
Obviously, Mr. Mackie Owner.

Yeah, yeah.

Seriously though. I'm not challenging you but is the argument for not using a monitor to listen to music that it sounds too much like the source? We wouldn't say that about a video display. We spend hours tweeking settings and maybe even hire professional calibrators to get the display to look as close as possible as the source. We don't say "I prefer my reds with slightly more yellow".
Let's use Yamaha's NS-10's as example. If I were to build a studio for the purpose of making music, they would be a good choice. If I were to build a home theater, I wouldn't use NS-10's if Yamaha paid me and gave me a free set.

If a speaker is designed for a particular use, I think it should be used that way and that way only. So if a nearfield studio monitor was made to be heard from a distance of 3 feet while creating music, why would I want to sit 9 feet from while listening to music.

Basically, it's the old adage "the right tool for the right job". I wouldn't use a piano hammer to drive a nail.

That's silly and the piano/hammer comparison is almost insulting. But I digress...

Does the sound quality change dramatically between 3 and 10 feet?

A Ferrari is made to be driven fast on wide open, twist roads. You'd drive one to the grocery store if you could.

A framing hammer (because the piano example was weak) is designed to drive framing nails, but they also work quite well with lots of other types of nails; roofing nails, ring shank nails, common nails...

I'm watching a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel. They talked about the invention of the cymbal in Turkey. It was designed to signal troops in battle. So... By your silly "it may only be used for it's designed purpose argument" it should not be used on drum kits.

Towen7 said:
That's silly and the piano/hammer comparison is almost insulting. But I digress...

A Ferrari is made to be driven fast on wide open, twist roads. You'd drive one to the grocery store if you could.

A framing hammer (because the piano example was weak) is designed to drive framing nails, but they also work quite well with lots of other types of nails; roofing nails, ring shank nails, common nails...

I'm watching a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel. They talked about the invention of the cymbal in Turkey. It was designed to signal troops in battle. So... By your silly "it may only be used for it's designed purpose argument" it should not be used on drum kits.

Take that back!!!

Towen7 said:

Why is my opinion silly? Because you have a different opinion?

The sound quality on my JBL studio monitors changes DRAMATICALLY between 3 and 10 feet. I adore them at 3; I hate them at 10.

This is just preemptive....the last one is for me :happy-smileygiantred:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 432
Zing said:
If a speaker is designed for a particular use, I think it should be used that way and that way only. So if a nearfield studio monitor was made to be heard from a distance of 3 feet while creating music, why would I want to sit 9 feet from while listening to music.

Basically, it's the old adage "the right tool for the right job". I wouldn't use a piano hammer to drive a nail.
[/quote]

What if it sounded good to you at 9 feet, even if it weren't designed for it?

Technically, the term "nearfield" was intended to reflect the peak acoustic output and physical size.

As long as the output is sufficient, a nearfield monitor should be excellent as a home stereo or home theater speaker.

That said, there is a crap-load of poor sounding monitors available. Take the aforementioned Yamaha NS-10... that was a terrible sounding speaker from the very early days of what later became the nearfield monitor market. Tej were designed to be loud, no accurate or precise. However, just by chance music mixed on ten had a tendency to sound pretty darn good on every other speaker out there, so they became a very high demand speaker not for tier accuracy BU for the results people got when using them. That isn't the case with Mackie or Genelec or Focal or Tannoy monitors which were designed for accuracy and precision.

Also.... using any speaker at close range can reveal all their design limitations, like baffle step, group delay and point source issues common in all multi-way speakers.

So, a nearfield monitor attempts to address these issues to hide them as much as possible. The improvements made for the exposure of nearfield listening typically improve midfield as well, making nearfield monitors great for home audio systems...

... if they can play loud enough.

Back