• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Theatrical releases... at home!

Akula

Famous
Warner Brothers announced they're running an experiment in 2021- all theatrical releases will simultaneously be released on HBO Max:

Some caveats- they'll only be available for a month before coming off for a time. They'll still be released to theaters.

With Disney having done Mulan for an extra charge on Disney+ (seems WB's plan isn't for an extra cost), could this be the beginning of the end of major theatrical releases? I've wondered why the studios haven't been doing this like Disney did- for a movie I want to see, I'd pay $30 to not have to deal with the movie theater. While few things match the big screen with a big vat of $20 movie popcorn, there's astonishingly few things I want to see like that. I don't think movie theaters will end, but the market will contract. While this is forced by COVID-related restrictions, the technology has been there for some time and I think would have eventually happened anyway. We've sometimes mentioned how our own systems sound superior to a poorly set up movie theater run by an indifferent corporation, none of us enjoy having to watch a movie with some yahoo yammering on their phone or being otherwise distracting. This would let you pause for the ever important pee break (or second beer) and avoid all the hassle.

I do wonder about the fragmentation of services- if you don't have HBO Max, you can't see these releases. If you don't have Disney+, you wouldn't have seen Mulan. So that may slow some of this because I don't think most people are going to subscribe to everything to see all the hit movies. You know some chain will use Hulu, another will go Netflix, etc. Some other might go Disney's route- subscribe to their proprietary service for their new movies (and back catalog). So it could get even more expensive than a $12 ticket to a particular movie.

i just hope we dont get too much compression, and that we can somewhat get atmos as well.

if our bandwidth cant fulfill the entire movie, let me at least download it. if needed, they can delete it and let me redownload it in the future.

this is with the expectancy that i am owning the digital content, and not renting it.

I know Wonder Woman 1984 is being released simultaneously on HBO Max and Theaters on Xmas day which means I see it for free....(either AT&T cel or ATT TV Now subscribers get HBO Max for free for which I subscribe to both). The kids and I see enough movies throughout the year where as this model were eventually available for Disney and WB releases those subscriptions would pay for themselves in short order we see so many Marvel SW and DC content...

i just hope we dont get too much compression, and that we can somewhat get atmos as well.

if our bandwidth cant fulfill the entire movie, let me at least download it. if needed, they can delete it and let me redownload it in the future.

this is with the expectancy that i am owning the digital content, and not renting it.
They're saying 4K with HDR. Disney+ manages to have Atmos support too, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be possible for them to stream in such audio and visual quality.

sweet, lets hope my cheap ass bandwidth can support it. (yes, at this point this is a variable, not a concern for the streaming services)

will it also follow the whole, i have the service, but need to pay for it too kinda deal, like what happened with mulan.

If I didn't have to pay extra to a streaming service I subscribe to its fine.

I don't see myself paying an extra fee in excess of 5.00 $30 A film no way. It will eventually be available thru some service for free.

And I still can't get HBO Max so . . .

I was one of the dummies who paid $30 for Mulan on Disney+ only to have it show up on Vudu a few weeks later for the same price. Not doing that again.

sweet, lets hope my cheap ass bandwidth can support it. (yes, at this point this is a variable, not a concern for the streaming services)

will it also follow the whole, i have the service, but need to pay for it too kinda deal, like what happened with mulan.
Nothing was said about extra fees. Doesn't mean there won't be, just nothing said that I saw.

I was one of the dummies who paid $30 for Mulan on Disney+ only to have it show up on Vudu a few weeks later for the same price. Not doing that again.
Then you probably don't want to know Disney+ now has it as part of their regular programming no extra charge

I think it’s fascinating that AT&T is flipping the script and instead of leveraging mobile and fixed broadband to add HBOmax subscribers the play is shaping up to be to boost the value of HBOmax and leverage the app to add mobile and broadband subscribers.
This is something movie enthusiasts have said they’ve wanted for a long time.

What’ll be interesting is how they’ll compensate those involved in the production who are paid based on theater revenu.

1F510BFF-8BEA-4477-8862-85E6F88DEB89.jpeg

Can anybody who streamed Wonder Woman 1984 confirm that it is in fact in 4k? We are going to rent it this afternoon but it just says HD?

Back