• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

There has got to be a better way! Help!

Nufan

Upgraded to 4k and got some new gear this past week.....Samsung 55" QLED Q8F TV, Sony X700 4k blu-ray, Harmony Companion remote.

Please, bare with me a moment. Hooking up all the new gear and still running [sound] through my Marantz SR6008, 4k pass-through HDMI 1.4. The Sony 4k UHD Blu-Ray player uses HDMI 2.2? Since my receiver is not technically 4k, I used both HDMI outs on the Sony; HDMI 1 video only to TV, HDMI 2 Audio only to receiver. Now for Fire TV; got a HDMI 2.2 so I can stream 4k. Fire TV HDMI to TV and Optical from TV to receiver.
Seemed everything was okay, until I realized I had no video from the receiver to TV; I couldn't use on-screen set-up, or anything. So, I ran a HDMI cable from the Monitor out to TV. Got me to see the receiver, but I don't think I am able to really set it up like that.

How things are now:
TV-
HDMI 1 - Sony blu-ray 4k HDMI 2.2 (carrying video only)
HDMI2 - HDMI 1.3(?) from receiver for on screen set-up and such
HDMI 4 (arc) - Fire TV HDMI 2.2
Optical Audio cable - to receiver

Receiver -
HDMI 3 (Blu-Ray) - HDMI 1.3 (?) from Sony Blu-Ray player HDMI 2 jack Audio only
Digital Optical 1 - from TV, sound for Fire TV
Monitor out - HDMI to TV

Has you can see I think I made a mess! Please help! lol

Thank you

I have a similar setup and have just accepted the fact that when I use my Sony 4k player I will not see receiver menu on my set.

I don't think I have the same problem as you, but do have a similar set up with a 4K tv, sony 4K player and a receiver that will not pass the new hdmi specs. In order for me to get sound from the 4K player, that can be the only hdmi cable hooked up to the tv. Something to do with HDCP I'm sure, but maybe you have a similar problem.

If I run all the HDMI cables into the receiver and a HDMI 2.2 out to the TV; I am going to lose something right? audio formats, video quality? Even if it does 4k pass-through.

I don't think I have the same problem as you, but do have a similar set up with a 4K tv, sony 4K player and a receiver that will not pass the new hdmi specs. In order for me to get sound from the 4K player, that can be the only hdmi cable hooked up to the tv. Something to do with HDCP I'm sure, but maybe you have a similar problem.

Have you tried a HDMI splitter?

Have you tried a HDMI splitter?
Yes, still the same issue. It isn't a big deal, I have a darbee in the chain for everything else, and it's easily accessible from the front, so all I have to do is unplug that when I want to watch something on the Sony.

Update: It Worked!
The Amazon fire tv connected to Marantz SR6008 via HDMI 2.2
Monitor out HDMI 2.2 from Marantz to TV (not ARC input on tv).
I can now see receiver menus without exiting the source. I just have everything set to passthrough and auto audio.
I get 4k UHD on Netflix, Prime movies through Amazon tv.
The sony 4k Blu-ray player is still wired direct to the tv and receiver.
All calibrated and love'n the new set up, including switching out the Klipsch Reference for PSB Image.

Thanks for all the advice peeps

Next is moving the old tv and Klipschs to the converted garage.

Back