• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Thinking about adding a second BR player...........

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I think I may add a Bluray player for downstairs. I don't have HDMI ins/outs, so the best A/V performance I have now is component for the video and toslink/digital coax for the audio until I can upgrade the Denon 3803 to a nice pre/pro.

I think I've settled on Panasonic for my choice, unless you guys know of better ones. Here's three, from their website, I've been comparing. (link)

I'm leaning towards the BDT110 over the BD75 as for just $35 more I can have an optical output and 3D capability. I don't care for WiFi as I have an Ethernet switch on my rack for network connections (assuming all the players have Ethernet ports on them). Also, what does the 310 offer (besides the video calling) over the other two that justifies the extra $90?

The only Bluray source I have, is for the upstairs TV (PS3). I know that sounds bass-ackwards by not having Bluray in the HT first, but most of our family viewing is upstairs anyways with the occasional movie downstairs. I would still like to have the ability to stream as I may go back to Netflix. Don't know to be sure.

I'm still on the fence with 3D, so I could get that as an added perk for that extra $35. One thing is, I think 3D projos are expensive and not as abundant as their flat screen counterparts. So since 3D players are on the cheap side, do I get one now or just get one at the time of a new projo purchase?

Thanks everyone.

Players are cheap (relative to PJs and TVs) so I'd not worry about 3D capability right now. I based my player purchase on PQ, speed, interface and price.

Towen7 said:
Players are cheap (relative to PJs and TVs) so I'd not worry about 3D capability right now. I based my player purchase on PQ, speed, interface and price.

That's what I was thinking. I think there's just one 3D projo under $5000 and a 50"-60" flat screen is probably close to half that value.

I'll probably get the BD75. It's cheap and still has streaming capabilities if I go back to Netflix.

Why not move the PS3 downstairs to the HT and buy the appropriate BD player for upstairs?

I have a cheapie $99 panny connected to the Denon 3803 in my basement setup in the manner you describe and it it fine. It's not my main listening area so I don't care too much about missing DolbyHD etc....

D

Zing said:
Why not move the PS3 downstairs to the HT and buy the appropriate BD player for upstairs?

Mainly because the PS3 is the only way I can stream my music collection in the living room. I'm hoping someday I can get a nice pre/pro and SqueezeTouch for the HT and move the Denon 3803 and Squeezebox 3 to the upstairs TV.

Damit Yesfan...now you've got me thinking about a new BD player.

Towen7 said:
Damit Yesfan...now you've got me thinking about a new BD player.

LOL! :laughing:

Sucks don't it. That's one good thing about me not able to make Batman's GTG. The upgrade bug would have really been biting then.

Well, earlier today at Target I gave in and got the BD75.

I haven't tried any Blurays on it yet (going to later tonight), but DVDs looked very good on it However......

I'm really disappointed in what I got for $100.

I took the player downstairs to hook up to the main HT. I was a bit peeved to find that the only outputs this player has are HDMI and a pair of RCA audio outputs. If your system is like mine, then you're screwed since it lacks a digital and component outputs.

So back upstairs and I switched it out with the PS3. I got the network part setup and then found it would not stream any of my music from my PC. Bummer. I see about the first 60 Flac albums listed and of those listed, the player won't stream any of them.

One good thing is MY PC does "see" it on the network (via Windows media Player), so I'm going to play around and see if it will at least stream my MP3 folder. Another good thing, since my TV is also a Panasonic, is how well the player's remote controls my TV. This keeps my living room from being so cluttered with remotes and it's also one less remote Little Man can snag and hide in his Little Mancave in the back

Overall, I was expecting at least the basics with the connections. For a $100, I think that would be more important than HDMI and/or streaming. Also, the front display is small and very dim even on it's brightest setting.

I think even if I keep the Panny and move the the PS3 downstairs, all I will have is the basic RCA connections (stereo and composite). I feel like I'm "damned if I do, damned if I don't" whichever direction I go. I guess I'll send the Panny back and maybe spurge on a player with the right connections or just do without a little longer.

I even got to looking around for some "cheap" receivers as get me buys and moving the 3803 upstairs, but I'm fucked on that too thanks to having active speakers. :angry-banghead: Looking at Denon's line up on their website, I'm better off buying a used pre/pro over the cheapest receiver with pre-amp outs.

I'd say return the panny and get a sony 370 - it's got composite/optical outputs. I picked one up used on ebay recently for $50, works just fine. Plus it plays sacd (which was actually my #1 reason for getting it).

PaulyT said:
I'd say return the panny and get a sony 370 - it's got composite/optical outputs. I picked one up used on ebay recently for $50, works just fine. Plus it plays sacd (which was actually my #1 reason for getting it).

I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks Pauly.

EDIT: Just bought the newer 380 and an Ethernet cable from Amazon for about $7 more than what I paid for the Panny. The Panny will go back later today for a refund.

:handgestures-thumbup:

What's the difference between the 370 and 380? Just curious...

10!!

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

PaulyT said:
:handgestures-thumbup:

What's the difference between the 370 and 380? Just curious...

The only thing I can tell is full 1080p playback of BDs, 3 sec disc boot times, and probably better quality upscaling of DVDs. For all I know, maybe the 370 also has that. I don't know for sure as I can't seem to find a sight that compares the two. I mainly bought mine because I saw it was the newest player for about the same price as the 370. There's also the ability to download a free app for controlling this player for Android users. Not that I care for that, but maybe that's another difference as the 370 seemed to cater more toward iPhone users.

In short, all I really cared about is a fucking player with component video and digital audio outputs.

Without looking into it my guess that's the 370 is outgoing and the 380 is current with some typical annual mfr updates that you'd probably never notice short of looking at a spec sheet...

Yeah, I know the 370 does 1080p. Right, it's probably just newer revisions on various components, with other minor tweaks, and new marketing...

You have to remember that the Bluray player will not be able to output 1080p via component, only 1080i and you will not be able to "upconvert" standard DVD's via component. Kinda bummer since my main TV is an older RPTV that only has component capabilities and in two years companies will no longer offer any player with component at all. Thanks alot on that one you rat bastards. But the general consensus is that 1080i PQ is just about the same with either HDMI or Component when used on older sets.

All I know is that my broadcast 1080i via component with sat, looks better than 720p via HDMI on my plasma using sat. As far as Bluray goes, the 720p via HDMI is a smidge sharper, but just barely.

MatthewB said:
You have to remember that the Bluray player will not be able to output 1080p via component, only 1080i and you will not be able to "upconvert" standard DVD's via component. Kinda bummer since my main TV is an older RPTV that only has component capabilities and in two years companies will no longer offer any player with component at all. Thanks alot on that one you rat bastards. But the general consensus is that 1080i PQ is just about the same with either HDMI or Component when used on older sets.

All I know is that my broadcast 1080i via component with sat, looks better than 720p via HDMI on my plasma using sat. As far as Bluray goes, the 720p via HDMI is a smidge sharper, but just barely.

Yeah, I already knew that. My projector is 720p, so 1080p is a non-issue. The main issue was Bluray and DVD quality video with component vs composite. The Panny only has composite (yellow RCA) for the best analog video connection and stereo RCAs for the audio. The Panny didn't even have a digital output for DD5.1. That blows because I would think my 8 year old Denon DVD-2200 is going to have better a/v performance for DVDs than that Panasonic player.

I think Panasonic has somewhat dropped the ball in giving up some of the basic connections in order to offer WiFi and streaming. Check out the number of players Panasonic has that are like this from this Cnet link. (link)

wierdly enough, we replaced the roku xs2 i got last saturday with a panny 310 yesterday. it cost double tho - 250 plus tax, but thought i would add the $150 cost for a blu-ray included in the 'streaming device'... gf gave the green light.

man i love streaming. i DO love that the roku is more stable tho with netflix and amazon, and unlike panasonic it feels like its got a handshake issue (screen goes black, goes back on, goes black again)...

the 310s also got dual hdmis - i wanted to use the hdmi 1 for the tv without using the AVR, and use hdmi 2 for the surround system. the hdmi 2 video tho has to be disabled to get the audio codec to play right (if not its lpcm 2ch)...

so far i love it. i dont have 3d, and dont plan to, but nonetheless, im pretty stoked.

oh, im also going to get the stoopid avatar 3d thats exclusively included in a panny player via mail in rebate or something- you can sell it off for 100 clams via amazon for a quick turnaround or via ebay for around 60 clams.

jomari said:
........the 310s also got dual hdmis.......

That I don't get. I think it makes total sense on a pre/pro and receiver, but not on a source component. I think, imo, they should have added a component video output in place of the 2nd HDMI.

The 310 doesn't even have freaking S-video. :angry-banghead:

Back