• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Thinking about my display options...

jamhead

based on my dedicated room.

Plasma or projection?

If Plasma,
60" is about as large as I can go for budget as well as height of TV.
Layout of room makes it easy to mount tv to wall and run cables behind (attic behind TV). Very simple.

If Projection,
87" diagonal is as large as I can go (width issues). Height no longer an issue as the ceiling slopes up...so positioning the screen (pull down) on ceiling about a foot off the wall gives me the height I need.

Logistical nightmare to hook up and place projector. If ceiling mounted, will have to have a post long enough to hang below ceiling fan (which is in front of PJ). Also, running cables would be a pain, as no access above room...ceiling is angled. Also, PJ would be about 1.5ft behind couch.

Budget wise is as cheap as possible. I'm not a "video phile" by any stretch of the imagination...sure, I want a good picture, but spending 1k more to get "blacker blacks" is not a priority.

Overall use of room for movies/HD content would be about 4 hours/week....so with that...I want to keep price down.

PJ would be 12' throw......seating position is about 11' from screen/display.

I have ambient light ( a little) in the a.m. and total light control after that. (sun comes through drapes in morning.)

If PJ...I was thinking Epson 8350 due to price, unless something much better could be had for a little more dough (epson is now at 1099.)

What do you guys think?

I'm a HUGE fan of projectors, whenever they are practical. It sounds as if a projector would work in your case.

I would look into the JVC HD-250. Its MSRP is $2995 but can be had for less. If that is out of the budget, I would check projectorcentral's reviews (among others). Epson's projectors have been highly rated from what I've seen but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

John

If you decide to go flat panel, then I wouldn't go smaller than 60". I'm like Yromj, if you can make a projo work, then your eyes are going to fall out when you see that big screen in action. Plus you mentioned "spending more to have blacker blacks" is not a priority.

My projector downstairs has nothing on black detail compared to my plasma, but man nothing says "home theater" like a projector setup.

yromj said:
I'm a HUGE fan of projectors, whenever they are practical. It sounds as if a projector would work in your case.

I would look into the JVC HD-250. Its MSRP is $2995 but can be had for less. If that is out of the budget, I would check projectorcentral's reviews (among others). Epson's projectors have been highly rated from what I've seen but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

John

Yeah, 3K is quite a bit more than I would like to spend. I've been researching projectorcentral's reviews, and they really liked the epson 3850...but my concern is it may be Too bright. I have a lot more researching to do either way, as I know nothing about retractable screens, projectors, and really...all of it.

Do you think it's worth the negatives (always dark when watching, bulb burnout) to gain the 27 inches?
Do you think 87" is a good screen size from 11'?
Think it'll give that ooohhh movie feel?

Man, if someone who knew about installations could help me with the logistics, that would be great.... :eusa-whistle:

Jam, I'm an Epson (720p) owner and, at one time, sat just 6 feet away from a 64" screen. Currently, I sit about 11 feet from that same screen and sometimes I wish it were bigger. So, in your case, sitting 11 feet from an 87-inch screen would be ideal, I think.

As for being too bright, there's really no such thing. Depending on your throw distance and zoom setting, you could lose 75% of its rated output.

Its hard to quantify but for a true home theater "feel" you have to have a projector and a big screen, IMHO. If I were in your situation... and I was/am... I'd get the best projector I could afford.

I sit 12ft back from my screen and it is around 92". My Projo is a 720p Sanyo.

I think 87" from 11ft back will be fine.

Towen7 said:
Its hard to quantify but for a true home theater "feel" you have to have a projector and a big screen, IMHO. If I were in your situation... and I was/am... I'd get the best projector I could afford.

Something else to think about after reading Towen's post. I would also think very hard about making your own screen as opposed to buying one. This will let you maximize your budget to get the best looking projo.

Making your own screen is not hard at all (I'm proof of that). If I had $3000 to sink into a projector setup, I would rather have a $200 screen and $2800 to spend on a projector as opposed to a $2000 projector and a $1000 screen.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I would make my screen, but I will NEED a retractable screen to get the 87" or so.

The cable run is a concern of mine. I'm gonna have to do some serious thinking on that (PJ on opposite side of room as rack...and I hate seeing any cables/wires at all.)

Towen7 said:
Blasphemy!!! I'd be just as pleased with my 32" panny sitting atop my center channel... :eusa-whistle:

jamhead said:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I would make my screen, but I will NEED a retractable screen to get the 87" or so.

The cable run is a concern of mine. I'm gonna have to do some serious thinking on that (PJ on opposite side of room as rack...and I hate seeing any cables/wires at all.)
Sounds like an insider needs to come to your rescue... :shhh:

Batman said:
jamhead said:

Sounds like an insider needs to come to your rescue... :shhh:

Hmmmm. :cool:

I would just get a good 1080p plasma and be done with it. PJ sounds like too much of a headache.

Maximo said:
I would just get a good 1080p plasma and be done with it. PJ sounds like too much of a headache.

Really? I didn't have any problems setting mine up and I've looked at you as being better at the DIY thing than me (especially with PCs).

Jamhead,
Maybe I read your original post differently than everyone else. You say PJ would be a logistical nightmare. Video is not as important to you, and you would only use it 4 hours a week. Just get a plasma and hang it on the wall and be done.
If I hadn't had a drop ceiling in my basement I probably would not have bothered with a pj. That being said I love mine and watch everything on mine...everything.
Mike
Who is currently looking for a new screen!!

mcad64 said:
.......Mike

Make your own. I did and don't regret it. Plus it gives you an excuse to buy a mitre saw if you don't already have one.

Yesfan70 said:
mcad64 said:
.......Mike

Make your own. I did and don't regret it. Plus it gives you an excuse to buy a mitre saw if you don't already have one.

Yesfan,
I am pretty much all thumbs when it comes to DIY projects. I fear if I bought I mitre saw I would be NO thumbs!!! ;) ;)
I am thinking about buying a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 and be done with it!!!

You should give yourself more credit. I'm hardly the DIYer type so, imo, if I can do it than anyone on this forum can. I also made my own speaker stands, which I thought were harder (but not hard to begin with). Zing was a bit reluctant to make his own stands (can't remember the reasons), but in the end his came out better looking than mine.

I see nothing wrong with that Stewart Screen and that would be one I would buy too if I had the money to put down on one. But after building my own, I don't think the difference in price is worth it. I have almost a 10th of the cost of that Stewart in my screen and that counts what I paid for the saw, which is around $140-$160.

Have you seen my DIY screen thread over on S&V?

EDIT: That $140-$160 is for everything, not just the saw.

Back