• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

THX Sub Audio Setup

Snake Doctor

Not sure where this should be posted under audio, source components, configuration & setup or subwoofers - so if the is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I am not sure I understand THX but what I “think” it is a measurement standard developed by Thomlinson Holman so George Lucas’s Star Wars sound would be reproduced as he intended. So again bottom line THX is measurement or standard not a recording technology like Dolby Digital.

That brings me to my question. If the above is true than why does my prepro have a setting asking if my subwoofer is THX or not? What difference does it make?

What if my sub isn’t THX certified (it isn’t) and I select the option “yes”; what would that change or do?

Snake Doctor said:
Not sure where this should be posted under audio, source components, configuration & setup or subwoofers - so if the is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I am not sure I understand THX but what I “think” it is a measurement standard developed by Thomlinson Holman so George Lucas’s Star Wars sound would be reproduced as he intended. So again bottom line THX is measurement or standard not a recording technology like Dolby Digital.

That brings me to my question. If the above is true than why does my prepro have a setting asking if my subwoofer is THX or not? What difference does it make?

What if my sub isn’t THX certified (it isn’t) and I select the option “yes”; what would that change or do?

Your sub would immediately turn into a pumpkin. :happy-smileygiantred:

If memory serves, THX sub standard for high pass filter is set to 80Hz.

Rope

According to my Onkyo manual it also effects phase control and placement near a wall when using a THX sub. Just say No and be done with it.

Rope said:

Rope

I didn't believe you now I have a big ole pumpkin in my media room. :angry-tappingfoot:

My problem is I don't have a very good sub plus I have never heard one that I thought was really good. The ones I have heard seem to have this low roar going all of the time and going boom once in a while when queued. Pictures, trinkets, and rooms rattle ears bleed but there really isn't any "tone" being delivered. That isn't what I expect out of a sub be it watching movies or listening to music, so I decided to live with what I have rather than spend lots of $$$ on something that may not improve my system.

However, I read where you guys love your subs and some of you have multiple subs and you say the results are remarkable. So that sends me back to trying anything and everything to get more from my sub, thus the THX question.

Snake Doctor said:
Rope said:

Rope

I didn't believe you now I have a big ole pumpkin in my media room. :angry-tappingfoot:

My problem is I don't have a very good sub plus I have never heard one that I thought was really good. The ones I have heard seem to have this low roar going all of the time and going boom once in a while when queued. Pictures, trinkets, and rooms rattle ears bleed but there really isn't any "tone" being delivered. That isn't what I expect out of a sub be it watching movies or listening to music, so I decided to live with what I have rather than spend lots of $$$ on something that may not improve my system.

However, I read where you guys love your subs and some of you have multiple subs and you say the results are remarkable. So that sends me back to trying anything and everything to get more from my sub, thus the THX question.

A good subwoofer properly setup, should be seen, not heard. Meaning it will blend seemlessly, and play nice with the speakers it's meant to accentuate, not stand up and proclaim "here I am!" IMO THX counts for diddly, unless the listening environment is of specific demension, treated appropriately, and that is in conjunction with all gear being THX certified. Because a sub, or any other piece of gear, is THX certified, counts for shyt in my book.

Sub placement is key, along with phase. The most common error is setting sub gain too high, or hot, although for movie presentation a little "hot" is good. Not so much for music.

If I were in the market for a good sub, I would opt for the HSU, although the phase is 0 to 180.

Rope

I agree w/ Rope 100%. When listening, especially to music IMHO, the sub should just be part of the system. It should seem as if its sounds are coming directly from the mains with no difference in timbre or any other quality as a sound moves through the cross-over region.

I have my sub set "correctly" according to the meter and I don't have to wonder if it's on during movies. Things move, shake, vibrate, etc. but the sound has a real quality to it as well. It's not just a rumble. If you have a chance to make it to a GTG (mine is in April, Bat's is in July) you will get to hear a decent sub or two. It will enlighten you.

John

yromj said:
I agree w/ Rope 100%. When listening, especially to music IMHO, the sub should just be part of the system. It should seem as if its sounds are coming directly from the mains with no difference in timbre or any other quality as a sound moves through the cross-over region.

I have my sub set "correctly" according to the meter and I don't have to wonder if it's on during movies. Things move, shake, vibrate, etc. but the sound has a real quality to it as well. It's not just a rumble. If you have a chance to make it to a GTG (mine is in April, Bat's is in July) you will get to hear a decent sub or two. It will enlighten you.

John

It would be great to make GTG how does it work and how can I sneak an invite?

Snake Doctor said:
yromj said:

John

It would be great to make GTG how does it work and how can I sneak an invite?

Where do you live?

I agree with others here. My sub is the "lowly" SVS 25-31pci and during music, it's hard to tell it's on other than the drums and bass have weight to them. It took me a long time to set it up and I'm sure it's still a little hot, as I used my spl meter and tried to adjust based on the corrections for the meter. Even so, it doesn't stand out.

I have my sub about 3 feet from the nearest corner and along the wall. Bass traps are extremely effective as well, so if acoustic treatments are an option, I would go with bass trapping first and see what you think.

If you're near the Charlotte NC area, I could set up a listening session for you.

Snake Doctor said:
...It would be great to make GTG how does it work and how can I sneak an invite?
You just "snuck" one!! Seriously, when a GTG thread is started, that's an open invitation. Consider yourself more than welcome to join my GTG in April. There's a thread in the GTG section.

Look forward to seeing ya!!

John

jamhead wrote:

"Bass traps are extremely effective as well, so if acoustic treatments are an option, I would go with bass trapping first and see what you think."

I took jamhead's advice on this, and it worked great for me.

I have a small M&K 12" sub, and it did wonders for the sound in my medium-sized room. I'm very happy with the results.

Bass trap right corner before cover. Bass trap after cover.

Rope

Attachments

• PMC Front.JPG
    PMC Front.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 1,211
  • PICT0266.JPG
    PICT0266.JPG
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 1,211
THX is a standard and is used for Movies. If your setting up the home for theater and movies you should consider the THX standard if your going to play back the movies in THX.

The differences are in the Surround Speakers mostly. The Surround Left and Right should be Dipoles and not Direct. The Rear Surround L and R are still direct but placed closer together.

Dolby has the Surround L and R as direct. The rear surround L and R are spaced apart.
For the music and gamers this might be prefered.

John
Where do you live?

I agree with others here. My sub is the "lowly" SVS 25-31pci and during music, it's hard to tell it's on other than the drums and bass have weight to them. It took me a long time to set it up and I'm sure it's still a little hot, as I used my spl meter and tried to adjust based on the corrections for the meter. Even so, it doesn't stand out.

I have my sub about 3 feet from the nearest corner and along the wall. Bass traps are extremely effective as well, so if acoustic treatments are an option, I would go with bass trapping first and see what you think.

If you're near the Charlotte NC area, I could set up a listening session for you.

Actually I live in Winston Salem, NC just a couple of hours from you. Maybe we can work out something I would really appreciate it.

You all suck, with your subs should be an "enhancement". Screw that. I want so much bass pressure that as soon as Megatron farts, your lungs instantly explode from the pressure and the Medical Examiner needs no autopsy as your insides are now on the floor and ceiling as they have been systematically forced out your mouth and bunghole....but that could just be me......and Jeff Mackwood.

Snake, sell your car, sell your kids, sell your wife, buy a dozen or so subs and smile in buttshaking happiness. :music-rockout:

Matt who feels the other advice given has it's validity.

Snake Doctor said:
John
Where do you live?

Actually I live in Winston Salem, NC just a couple of hours from you. Maybe we can work out something I would really appreciate it.

That's great! Yeah, we should be able to work something out. I know for a fact that the next 3 to 4 weekends are tied up on my end, but we can start looking into dates that work out for both.

Cool... looks like we have a few people in NC.

MatthewB said:
You all suck, with your subs should be an "enhancement". Screw that. I want so much bass pressure that as soon as Megatron farts, your lungs instantly explode from the pressure and the Medical Examiner needs no autopsy as your insides are now on the floor and ceiling as they have been systematically forced out your mouth and bunghole....but that could just be me......and Jeff Mackwood.

Snake, sell your car, sell your kids, sell your wife, buy a dozen or so subs and smile in buttshaking happiness. :music-rockout:

Matt who feels the other advice given has it's validity.

Matt, how much are you offering for all of that? If the price is right they can load their butts into your new car and head for your house this evening.

A dozen subs.... :banana-rock: My place will ROCK.

Setting them all up correctly sounds like a bit of a chore. But I will work on it. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Directions please .... Oh yes and a nice sized check. WHEEEEE!!!!!

jamhead said:
That's great! Yeah, we should be able to work something out. I know for a fact that the next 3 to 4 weekends are tied up on my end, but we can start looking into dates that work out for both.

Cool... looks like we have a few people in NC.

There are others in NC any idea how many? That is great I thought I was the only one around with the interest for thousands of miles. There isn't even a good store around here the only place to shop is Best Buys. All of the other specialty shops have been sold, moved or gone out of business.

Back