• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

THX Ultra2 Plus certification

Orbison

Another boring amp question: Don't remember if this has been discussed before, but does this THX certification truly indicate better amp quality in a receiver? (Given that some members' educated opinions are that the amps in most receivers are "crap".) Or is it just THX & receiver manufacturer marketing BS?

Just curious.........

:text-feedback:

Orbison said:
Another boring amp question: Don't remember if this has been discussed before, but does this THX certification truly indicate better amp quality in a receiver? (Given that some members' educated opinions are that the amps in most receivers are "crap".) Or is it just THX & receiver manufacturer marketing BS?

Just curious.........

:text-feedback:

Short answer....yes, BS.

THX certification verifies it meets preset standards . . . which is good.
However, so do a whole lot of others which don't advertise it.
Some pay to have their models declare certification, while many don't

~ ~ :text-nocomment:

If a component is THX certified, it means (A) that it meets certain minimum standards that THX thinks is important (I don't think some of them are that important), and (B) the manufacturer paid THX a license fee. Many manufacturers' products would meet THX specs, but simply don't want to pay the license fee.

:eek:bscene-moneypiss: THX <------------------------ George Lucas's way of saying, "pay me for something I did 40 years ago."

Rope

soundhound said:
If a component is THX certified, it means (A) that it meets certain minimum standards that THX thinks is important (I don't think some of them are that important), and (B) the manufacturer paid THX a license fee. Many manufacturers' products would meet THX specs, but simply don't want to pay the license fee.

~ thanks for the clarification of specifics, Soundhound

:handgestures-thumbup:

I agree with the others. I own many THX certified gear and many non THX gear. Take Denon for example, a few years ago they paid to have their gear THX certified (as indicated by my 4802R reciever) but my 3808ci is not THX certified, yet has the power that would easily earn a THC certification. THX says speakers have to be able to reach 85db with minimal distortion, yet my non THX Def Tech speakers were tested at my GTG at 105db with not one hint of distortion.

It's nice that there is some type of certification or testing done on products, but don't feel we the consumers should have to pay in higher prices just because a piece of gear met this qualification, and that's why companies no longer pay to have this sticker placed on their gear.

Matt - who finds it funny how Bose claims their speakers are the best, yet never has submitted their gear to THX for certification.

Many of the top amplifier manufacturer's are not THX certified, and it's not because they lack the funds to do so. They choose not to, since THX certification means very little, unless of course, the purchaser contacts THX and get the specifications for their room, gear, and installer. Even then, everything the installer does must be ok'd, and before certification is issued, THX will send one of their people to inspect and certify the theater.

Rope

I would neither buy nor not buy something based on THX Certification, although both my receiver and amplifier are. I also think that it is a mischaracterization to say that receiver amps are crap. I would argue that most reciever amps are adequate for the level of speakers likely to be paired with them. Separates make no more than a marginal difference until you get well north of $1000/pair.

Back