• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time to Choose

Maximo

After some discussions, we have decided to abandone the projector thing and go with a 65" flat screen. BEcause this is THE weekend to buy I found what I believe to be a solid tv. However, I still have the opportunity to change.

Here is what is currently ordered from amazon, but not shipped and can be cancelled today if I so choose.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65EH600 ... roduct_top
btw, this is not the price I paid. I paid $1497 plus $50shipping

here is the contender I may go for if one of you are wiling to convince me otherwise.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC ... -_-Default

Gotta be today and sooner the better because it ships tomorrow. I appreciate the input in advance.

Edit - I realize that on is 3d, has wifi and more inputs and all that jazz. I am really just hoping for comments on picture quality and overall performance. We don't really want/need 3d, inputs don't matter because everything rolls through the receiver anyway, and wifi doesn't matter because it'll be hooked to a samsing bluray that already has all that.

As for my thoughts. I am thinking that a fully lit LED with the right settings will be awesome and I don't have to worry about breaking in a plasma, buzzing, or a 95 pound tv.

Hmm

Concerning manufacturer I prefer Samsung, between Mom and me we have 4 Samsung flat panels and have never had a problem.

BUT on display I much prefer plasma.

What about a Sammy plasma?

:text-link:

wow, hadn't reallytought about splitting the difference. that is a very nice tv. $350 more than the LED but might be the ticket.

If pic quality is what you're after, and the lighting in the room doesn't bother you with screen reflections, then I'd go for plasma.

lighting is an issue. it will be opporsite three windows. I may just stick with the tv i have.

Maximo said:
I may just stick with the tv i have.

Dude. You may be the only person on the planet that waffles more than I do. :eusa-whistle:

Because I just had to take my other tv of the wall and tighten the screws to get it to stop buzzing. the f-ing thing was so heavy. I just can't fathon having to dink with something 15" bigger in screen size.

Also, usually when I post a question here. My mind is pretty much made up but I post here hoping for a lightening strike from you guys because you have all been there before. I know that plasma has a marginally better picture than LED-LCD. But I wasn't sure if it was that big pof a deal. No one has said, no way they would buy an LED-LCD over a plasma even if it was $350 cheaper. Or offered any kind of insight other than what I already knew. I was just checking to see if there is something I am missing. And you guy are aweseom fo that. thank you.

If the picture is decent, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a LED/LCD set because of the weight factor alone. If reflective issues only reinforce the reason to go that direction then go for it. I'm a believer that liking a TV for whatever reason is almost as subjective as shopping for speakers. As long as its a reputable reliable brand capable of delivering a nice looking picture for the $, and more importantly the image looks good to you, I see no reason to not take the plunge.

Maximo said:
Because I just had to take my other tv of the wall and tighten the screws to get it to stop buzzing. the f-ing thing was so heavy. I just can't fathon having to dink with something 15" bigger in screen size.

Also, usually when I post a question here. My mind is pretty much made up but I post here hoping for a lightening strike from you guys because you have all been there before. I know that plasma has a marginally better picture than LED-LCD. But I wasn't sure if it was that big pof a deal. No one has said, no way they would buy an LED-LCD over a plasma even if it was $350 cheaper. Or offered any kind of insight other than what I already knew. I was just checking to see if there is something I am missing. And you guy are aweseom fo that. thank you.

Hmm I did offer a suggestion.

And regarding the weight issue my newer 58" Sammy is noticeable lighter than my older 50" Sammy. Both are plasmas. They have made very good progress in making sets that are bigger and lighter, usuall the stats give the weight.

You did and it was a great one. And I really appreciate it. I just came back from target and saw this tv in 46" and the pic was amazing. Yes it was touchg mode and motion crap but it was still awesome.

Batman said:
If the picture is decent, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a LED/LCD set because of the weight factor alone. If reflective issues only reinforce the reason to go that direction then go for it. I'm a believer that liking a TV for whatever reason is almost as subjective as shopping for speakers. As long as its a reputable reliable brand capable of delivering a nice looking picture for the $, and more importantly the image looks good to you, I see no reason to not take the plunge.

Thanks bats. I appraiciate the input. I kinda felt thing were that way, and if I didn't have the windows and someone else was installing it, then the set that pro recommended would be on its way.

Why is the weight of the TV an issue? Do people move their TVs from room to room? Once the screws are tight they'll stay tight. And Unless you're planning on dinking with repeatedly it should be a "mount it and forget it" proposition.

I've recently hung/installed no less than 4 LED TVs recently and only required an extra set of hands once due to the height of the install moreso than the weight. All things being equal with comparable image quality, why shouldn't weight factor in, if it requires a second set of hands just to change inputs? It took 3 people to wall mount my 65" vt30 plasma and it was still a bitch. I'd wager a guy and his spouse could easily hang a 65" led set more often than not... :twocents-mytwocents:

** I edited my earlier post concerning weight, 'cause one could construe that I think weight is THE primary factor in picking a set. In certain scenarios I definitely see where the weight of a set could help in making a buying decision...

Towen7 said:
Why is the weight of the TV an issue? Do people move their TVs from room to room? Once the screws are tight they'll stay tight. And Unless you're planning on dinking with repeatedly it should be a "mount it and forget it" proposition.

Well, there always seems to be something in my house. Take today for example. Short story is, I had to run another HDMI cable and also tighten the screws because my LG plasma was buzzing after we move. So afte that was done, I busted one of the connections on the other hdmi cable and my freaking tv is back to buzzing during bright scenes. So instead of spending another $65 on a 40 foot HDMI cable I either have to get an hdmi switcher, an hdmi switching receiver, or I have to move my htpc downstairs and try to splicethe antenna cable back so I can get it to the downstairs location. It just never ends. So yeah, weight for me matters. But now the threat of buzzing matters too. Stupid plasmas.

Back