• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time Warner is about to get fired... online video?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I need some help getting an education about online content providers.

Time Warner has been having more service failure issues than I can put up with anymore, so I am investigating firing them for Cable TV service and going purely Internet streaming for content. However, there are a few sacrificed I have to make to do that.

Live Cable Channels
One huge thing I'll miss is that I'll never get live Cable channels ever again. I cannot find any way to watch the new networks live (not something I do every day, but sometimes they are a great source for information when there is a good reason to watch them, like on 9/11, a contentious election night, or some other crisis). Does anyone know if there is a way to get live cable channels without paying for a TV services like cable or satellite?

Palladia
There are a ton of shows on Palladia I love to watch, especially their festival recordings like ACL, Electric Proms, and such. I have not seen those in the catalogs of Hulu Plus or Netflix. Does anyone know if they are available online?

Multiple Users
If I subscribe to Netflix and HuluPlus, can I watch utilize one of them at the same time on two TVs? Or, will the service recognize that two devices are trying to use the same subscription simultaneously and stop one of them because the subscription is for one stream at a time? Often my wife and I are in separate rooms watching different shows at the same time. But, if I purchase two subscriptions, how to I manage them on devices we both use at different times? I cannot find any info on this on Hulu's or Netflix's web sites.

If I can pull this off, I will save about $60 a month by cancelling cable TV.

I once purchased U-Verse and went through the worst weekend of my life. I fired them two weeks later when they failed to make anything work at all and I kept getting different messages about whether or not I should have ever been sold U-Verse in the first place. That was the second time I attempted to get U-Verse in 3 years. Never again.

If your internet provider is TWC Roadrunner, forget getting ESPN etc (channels that are encoded). But there are sites that offer some, but I don't like all the pop-ups, ads, & possible spam etc. OTA in RoundRock is good & even some folks there can get Waco channels with a multi-directional antenna. Also get CW stations, one is all music recordings (concerts etc). Just about every local channel has sub channels (most Spanish). But we really enjoy 3 of the 4 channels PBS has (one is Spanish).
From my understanding about Netflix, you can't stream more than 2 different devices:
"Your Account Is in Use on Multiple Devices

If you see an error like Your Netflix account is in use on another device. Please stop playing on other devices to continue. Visit Netflix.com/help for more information, it's because you are attempting to watch on more than 2 devices simultaneously.
Use the following steps to resolve this issue:
Stop streaming on all computers and devices. (If you are unsure what other device has streaming activity, check out your recent activity to help solve the mystery.)
Try playing a movie or TV show on the device that originally received the error.
If this error persists, a title may have failed to stop properly or a sudden disconnect occurred between Netflix and your device. This will resolve itself automatically, but may take up 2 hours.
Still having issues? Contact us via our Help Center."

This is found here : http://support.netflix.com//en/node/29

I'll find the link over at AVS for the Austin area OTA & post it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/336964/austin-tx-hdtv

Also, check out the new WD TV live (Western Digital) may be called something else....their new box might be good

Good luck. I tried this a few years ago and came crawling back to paid TV. Other than missing specific content, my family struggled with the hoops we had to go through to place/time shift what was available.

Netflix and Hulu+ can be accessed on more than one device at a time on the same account. There are limits to how many devices you can associate with the account however. Hulu+ has weird restrictions. Some content is only available on PC, some on PCs and TVs but not "mobile" devices, some on TVs only, etc...

I'll still have my HTPC recording the broadcast TV I like to watch. I am concerned with Cable only shows, like BBC, Palladia, USA/TNT, etc.

Back