• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Top Gear coming to History Channel

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/videos/top-gear-sneak-peek#top-gear-sneak-peek

But don't get your hopes that it's the same show with Jeremey Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hamblin. This is going to be an American version of the show. From what I saw of the clip above, I'm not really impressed but will still check it out to see if it has potential. Plus no Stig? WTF?

I wished the British version were out on Bluray, but DVD is better than nothing. I love this show.

They already have something like it on Speed Network called Battle of the Super Cars.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoMkucMLy4[/youtube]

I do like History channel's Lock N' Load.

I wonder if any of the host from the new TG are affliated with those other two shows. I'll have to check them out and see.

An American version of Top Gear has been been in the works for as long as I can remember. From the sneek peek on HC's website it looks like the production values will be high. I just hope that they don't try to simply copy the persponalities of the UK hosts. The production values of the UK version have a lot to do with it's appeal, but IMO it's the hosts that make that show so much fun.

Towen7 said:
An American version of Top Gear has been been in the works for as long as I can remember. From the sneek peek on HC's website it looks like the production values will be high. I just hope that they don't try to simply copy the persponalities of the UK hosts. The production values of the UK version have a lot to do with it's appeal, but IMO it's the hosts that make that show so much fun.

I agree. Some shows you're just not going to be able to "copy" and Top Gear, I think, is one of them.

Is "Top Gear" the one that did a mocking review of the Ford Festiva by racing it inside a shopping mall?

Yup, thats them.

I didn't get that they were mocking the Festiva, quite the contrary. That being said they do have a general disdain for American cars and America in general really.

Towen7 said:
Yup, thats them.

I didn't get that they were mocking the Festiva, quite the contrary. That being said they do have a general disdain for American cars and America in general really.

Richard Hamblin may be an exception as he seemed to like the new Camaro a lot in one episode, but yeah for the most part I agree.

Maybe "mocking" isn't the best choice of words, I suppose. But they were definitely having fun making their test drive.

Unfortunately I fear this will probably be another failed attempt to copy a great original British show resulting in a very poor imitation.

Can we say "The Office"? "Life on Mars"?

Towen7 said:
That being said they do have a general disdain for American cars and America in general really.

Well they are British and can't quite let go of that whole Revolution thing from a couple hundred years ago. :D :D

mzpro5 said:
Unfortunately I fear this will probably be another failed attempt to copy a great original British show resulting in a very poor imitation.

Can we say "The Office"? "Life on Mars"?

Same here. I'm still going to watch a couple of of episodes to give it the benfit of the doubt, but don't see it approaching close to anything on the BBC version.

I will reserve judgment. It is just as rehearsed and fake as the BBC version but it still shows cars I can't afford so I will watch. The hosts are not horrible, too many are comparing them Clarkson, May and Hammond; they are not them. They are aiming at young people who may have heard of Tanner Foust or even seen The Fast and the Furious.
They seem to be shying away from the humor that is a big part of the BBC show because they believe the American audience won't understand it, if we are so dumb why is the British show so popular? There was a lot of explaining done, like the Stig. Just call him the Tame racecar driver, we will get it.
Ben

The 2-seconds worth of it that I saw sucked; though, I might've just been misdirecting my frustration with regards to the continued ruination of The History Channel toward the new show. It's not necessarily their fault the wrong cable network picked them up.

I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be, but I didn't think it was as terrible as I imagined it to be either. IMO, I don't think they should worry about having to explain everything about the show (including the Stig and who he is).

I think the biggest hurdle is the hosts have no chemistry and they try too hard to be funny. I think it needs to be a bit more creative too. The Cobra attack helicopter vs the Dodge Viper was too much like the British fighter jet vs the Bugatti Veyron segment in the UK version.

It could be a better show if they try. Maybe even put it on another appropriate network, like Speedvision, as I'm really tired of these types of shows being on the History Channel. Seriously, what's historic about this show?

Yesfan70 said:
Seriously, what's historic about this show?
Well, if I may... used to be, American TV and movies come up with something and then the rest of the world copied it. Now it seems to be going reverse. :eusa-think: :confusion-shrug:

Back