• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tori Amos new release killing the charts

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I love to see real music kicking butt in the charts! It gives me faith in mankind.

That said, I listened to as much as I could of "Night of Hunters" on YouTube and Amazon, and while it is pretty interesting, it still sounds like a direct rip-off of Kate Bush. Tori has a LONG track record of taking whatever Kate Bush invents and turning it into a more pop sounding version her fans consider "brilliant".

That said, as much as I hate her near plagerism, this is good music when compared to all the other crap we are forced to listen to through out our lives. If you like it, buy it! Make the record companies aware that the consumer still wants to spend money on real music.

Interestingly, her song "Job's Coffin" is the album's most popular song so far. I'm not convinced the lyrics are a reference to Steve or Apple but when she sings 'job's', she pronounces it with a long O.

it still sounds like a direct rip-off of Kate Bush. Tori has a LONG track record of taking whatever Kate Bush invents and turning it into a more pop sounding version her fans consider "brilliant".
So you're saying Amos is the Apple of the music world? :text-lol:

I REALLY like both Tori Amos and Kate Bush. There seems to be this rivaly-like phenomenon created by the fans stating that Tori rips-off Kate Bush's material and style. While I hear some similarities I don't see it as being quite as blatant as some would have you think. The small bit of time I've spent looking into it, has me convinced that certainly the artists themselves have no problem with each other. It also appears that after Amos learned of who Bush was, she began covering one of her songs in concerts (Running Up That Hill) a show of respect in my eyes. I believe Kate Bush's talents cover a way broader scope of musical styles and she damn near created her own genre. Tori Amos, to me, seems to cover a very narrow portion of that style by comparison. I appreciate and acknowledge both of their enormous talents, and while I listen, one satisfies a different mood for me than the other. I also find Amos' material to be much more risqué and sensual, particularly off the albums Boys For Pele and Songs From the Choirgirl Hotel....I definitely don't see why a person should choose one over the other, I'd say if that were the case that person would be missing out for sure!

Either way I'm glad you started this thread, I have been so busy with work and planning for the trip to Houston, picking up that release had slipped my mind. Opened up the Amazon app and got it along with a few Kate Bush CDs also... ;)

All chicks with a piano sound the same to me, but I can listen to a little of them.....except Alisha Keys, she's a hack.

It was that Kate Bush created new stuff, invented styles, images, dance, even video and fashion, then usually three to five years later Tori does the same basic thing and sells more records.

Flint said:
It was that Kate Bush created new stuff, invented styles, images, dance, even video and fashion, then usually three to five years later Tori does the same basic thing and sells more records.
Well then, kudos to Tori and her people for having a better grasp on how important timing is than Kate and her people. Timing is everything! Imagine how unsuccessful 'Great Balls of Fire' would've been if Jerry Lee Lewis had been a Rap artist.

Zing said:
Flint said:
Well then, kudos to Tori and her people for having a better grasp on how important timing is than Kate and her people. Timing is everything! Imagine how unsuccessful 'Great Balls of Fire' would've been if Jerry Lee Lewis had been a Rap artist.

:text-bravo: (I just had to do this!)

Back