• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tron: Legacy

Akula

Famous
I should begin by saying I'm a big Tron fan. I have been looking forward to this one since it was announced, and I caught it in IMAX 3D (had to drive to a theater about 30 minutes away for the IMAX).

If you liked the first, you will very much enjoy this one. It continues the story of the original quite well. There was more that could have been done with it, but if estimates are correct, they're trying to revive the franchise and there might well be more to come. Fine with me; count me in.

The CGI used was done extremely well. As you've heard by now, they de-aged Jeff Bridges for the part of Clu, and you forget that it is all computer trickery. The rest of the computer generated effects were quite well done too- the light cycles, the recognizers, and so on. The setting is something the opposite of Avatar (instead of a rich, lush world it is technological and somewhat bleak), but the feel of the first is preserved. At first I was wondering what Olivia Wilde was doing (her acting seemed crappy), then I realized that she was playing a rather naive program, and her mannerisms made much more sense.

Highly recommended.

I thought Clu was the accounting program Flynn met in the holding cells at the time Tron was out doing frisbee battle.

Is it just a name reuse?
Any links to the original Clu character?
Any links to the original Cindy Morgan character? Sark? Tron? Etc.?

I'm going to see the film, but I don't think character references are going to ruin anything.

scubabob said:
I thought Clu was the accounting program Flynn met in the holding cells at the time Tron was out doing frisbee battle.

Is it just a name reuse?
Any links to the original Clu character?
Any links to the original Cindy Morgan character? Sark? Tron? Etc.?

I'm going to see the film, but I don't think character references are going to ruin anything.

Clu was the name of a program used by Flynn in the original Tron (the program used at the beginning of the movie with Bit as his sidekick). I think that actuarial program was named Ram. This Clu (in some items related to the film, but not the film itself, he is called Clu 2.0) was made by Flynn after the events of the original Tron.

There are references to Tron (and Bruce Boxleitner makes a reappearance as Alan). No references to Cindy's character, but you do see Dillinger's son- he is only in one scene early on; my guess is that if Legacy does well, he will figure large in the next one, but he doesn't do much in this one. And no, there's no Sark.

If you look closely, you can see references to Bit here and there (his Yes form is on a shelf in young Sam's room, there's two models of his No form in Flynn's place inside the system). The recognizers are a bit different in this one- the legs don't move. You've likely seen the light cycles and how they differ, but there is a bit of a throwback to an intermediate model.

Generally, it seems that the "grid" in Legacy is not the same system that we saw in Tron- it was made anew by Flynn some time thereafter but before his disappearance. This is not explained in detail, but while there are a few similarities between the systems, they don't seem to be the same one.

I'm bummed that I didn't see this on opening day. I'm not reading any of your posts because I want to experience it myself first...

Glad to see they used some hints to the original movie, Yeah Clu was derezzed and drove that Orange tank when it was crushed by the recognizers. It was Clu who told Bit to take off before they were de-rezzed and later "Bit" found Flynn and recognized him, but thought it was Clu again. I'm taking the GF to see this on Sunday, she had no idea what Tron was, but a month ago I showed her the movie to prepare her for it. (She didn't care for it much, but we're still going, cause as I told my mom at Thanksgiving when she asked if I was going, I said, "Hell yeah, I'm geeking up all over again in anticipation of this movie" 29 years waiting for a sequel.

"Greetings my programs" - Matt

I wish the original Tron were on Blu-ray...I have to refresh my memory on regular DVD (yeah I'm a bd snob :happy-smileygiantred: ) It has been at least 10 years since I have seen it, I don't recall ever watching it when I did buy it on dvd...

Batman said:
I wish the original Tron were on Blu-ray...I have to refresh my memory on regular DVD (yeah I'm a bd snob :happy-smileygiantred: ) It has been at least 10 years since I have seen it, I don't recall ever watching it when I did buy it on dvd...

I'm expecting a two disc Blu-Ray set in a few months. I was really surprised when I discovered (a few weeks ago) that Tron was not currently available on any format. Disney likes screwing with this "back in the vault" crap, but they really grabbed that pooch and gave it a screw by not putting it out beforehand. There's a bunch of 20-something geeks who really don't remember much about the movie and have no means by which they can get caught up. They're missing out on disc sales AND probably some movie tickets (with people thinking "well, I don't remember the first, can't see it, so I'll hold off for now"). They left money on the table, which is not something Disney does all that often.

I still have the 20th anniversary collector's edition DVD set (the last one available), and apparently it's going for fairly high prices on the used market- to the tune of $60+. That's nuts.

Akula said:
Batman said:

I'm expecting a two disc Blu-Ray set in a few months. I was really surprised when I discovered (a few weeks ago) that Tron was not currently available on any format. Disney likes screwing with this "back in the vault" crap, but they really grabbed that pooch and gave it a screw by not putting it out beforehand. There's a bunch of 20-something geeks who really don't remember much about the movie and have no means by which they can get caught up. They're missing out on disc sales AND probably some movie tickets (with people thinking "well, I don't remember the first, can't see it, so I'll hold off for now"). They left money on the table, which is not something Disney does all that often.

I still have the 20th anniversary collector's edition DVD set (the last one available), and apparently it's going for fairly high prices on the used market- to the tune of $60+. That's nuts.
HA! I just checked Amazon just to see if there was a release date on BD and noticed that 20th anniversary addition was $150+. Well at least now I can see what this new OPPO is capable of when upscaling

OK, I get all of the characters now. It's been a while. I've got the 2 disc "20th anniversary edition" box. Bought it either the day or the day after release.

For me, Tron came out at just the right time. In 1982, I was a second year undergrad desperately trying to get accepted by NIU's Comp Sci department. I was basically living and breathing any computer related technology prior to seeing it. Besides the dazzling video effects that were only possible on huge (for the time) machines, Carlos' music on the Moog was also cutting edge. Any kind of music synthesis was still very difficult and expensive, and then you had to be able to play. The best I was able to do was key in music scores on an Apple ][ and a $$$ Mountain music card. With all of thie coolness of the film, arcade game, and Cindy Morgan, I had to go back to coding COBOL on punch cards for classroom assignments. In 1985, some of the department's teachers were moving into graphics, and I can remember seeing some pretty crude (although stunning at the time) work. "The Mind's Eye," while a fun watch, was the best stuff available for 1990 -- 8 whole years after Tron. Now 20 years after that, if Flynn/Clu v2.0 has indeed been deaged to the point you can't tell him from a younger Bridges, will it finally be another year or two before everything is CG -- no acting required?

scubabob said:
Now 20 years after that, if Flynn/Clu v2.0 has indeed been deaged to the point you can't tell him from a younger Bridges, will it finally be another year or two before everything is CG -- no acting required?

You could make the argument that with modern films, acting hasn't been required for some time- CGI actors or not. :teasing-tease:

Saw this yesterday in full glorious IMAX (managed to pull off double feature with True Grit). Regardless of what I or anyone thinks of the movie content, story, acting, etc. this was the must see (or must hear) theater experience of the year for me. The soundtrack was awesome on the IMAX system... club level music of club style musical score from Daft Punk... mega use of surround channels... it was a fantastic theater experience. From now on if I am going to shell out cash for a theater trip it will be IMAX for sure. For the record I thought this soundtrack was better then Avatar on IMAX. The 3D was cool but less a part of why I enjoyed the experience. For me it was all sound.

I thought the movie itself was plenty of fun. Enough tie in's to the style of the original movie to please older fans... but still fresh and new with ultra modern CGI action and effects.

Worth a trip to the big IMAX screen for sure. If you have a chance make the trip. And it should make an amazing BluRay as well.

Monkey

PS. Parents... this movie was rated PG and did not betray that rating with anything too raunchy or violent like many other action based movies. It was pretty clean and not in any way inappropriate for my nine year old son. Just wnated to throw that out for any Dad's looking to take their kids.

Yeah Monkey, it was PG, but what I was doing to Olivia Wilde in my mind was pretty much XXX rated.

Agree that the special effects were top notch. My local Cine Capri (bigger than IMAX and more power) was playing it, but not in 3D so I opted to go see the 3D version on the smaller screen and was not disappointed. What i thought was cool was the DD 7.1 intro they showed before the movie, when you hear the female whispering in the rear channels. That was a very cool effect.

Matt,

Yeah Monkey, it was PG, but what I was doing to Olivia Wilde in my mind was pretty much XXX rated.

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

tron-legacy-olivia-wilde-korean-movie-poster.jpg

tron_legacy_olivia_wilde_as_quorra-t2.jpg

tron_legacy_olivia_wilde_character_poster7.jpg

tron_legacy-olivia-wilde.jpg

Monkey

I really want to see this before it's run in theaters, esp IMAX, ends...

I"m going to see this later, my wife is going out with her sister, so I am bribing my two kids to go with me to see this in IMAX 3D tonight at 7:20. In return, I have to buy them each a $20 toy because they are really not interested in this movie at all. No I don't usually bribe my kids but it's all in good fun, really I'm just getting my 10yo an early b-day present, the 7yo a bonus :happy-smileygiantred: and we're all getting out of the house....Look forward to posting my impressions of the movie and this overall IMAX experience. Based on HM's high marks, I hope I am not disappointed.

Hot Monkey said:
Saw this yesterday in full glorious IMAX (managed to pull off double feature with True Grit). Regardless of what I or anyone thinks of the movie content, story, acting, etc. this was the must see (or must hear) theater experience of the year for me. The soundtrack was awesome on the IMAX system... club level music of club style musical score from Daft Punk... mega use of surround channels... it was a fantastic theater experience. From now on if I am going to shell out cash for a theater trip it will be IMAX for sure. For the record I thought this soundtrack was better then Avatar on IMAX. The 3D was cool but less a part of why I enjoyed the experience. For me it was all sound.

I thought the movie itself was plenty of fun. Enough tie in's to the style of the original movie to please older fans... but still fresh and new with ultra modern CGI action and effects.

Worth a trip to the big IMAX screen for sure. If you have a chance make the trip. And it should make an amazing BluRay as well.

Monkey

PS. Parents... this movie was rated PG and did not betray that rating with anything too raunchy or violent like many other action based movies. It was pretty clean and not in any way inappropriate for my nine year old son. Just wnated to throw that out for any Dad's looking to take their kids.
Just got in from an HR+ drive to IMAX each way...Agreed 1000% on everything highlighted!!! Way Fun!! Even my kids wound up loving it and I had to persuade them to go with me! Can't wait for the BD this will be demo material for years to come... :handgestures-thumbup: Any buzz surfacing that they may try to clean up the original to release on BD to coincide with this one? I haven't seen the 20th anny edition DVD, but nothing can save the white-cased Disney DVD from years ago although that movie is fun too...

To answer my own ?, it is stated over on blu-ray.com that the original has been re-mastered for BD but no release date has been announced...

Back